Flower89

Irish baby girl's name

Flower89

Hello,

We think we have picked a name for our little girl due in Dec. Her Daddy is Irish and the name we have chosen is Fiadh. This is pronounced Fia (rhymes with Mia). I'm completely torn between the two different versions. We are thinking of using the simpler spelling 'Fia' as I don't want her to have trouble her whole life and get annoyed with her name. On the other hand  Fia kind of looks unfinished to me.. Another thing is that if we were to use Fiadh, I love the fact that it matches our precious boy's name. Our little man passed away last year and his name is very Irish - Tádhg - which is pronounced like Tiger without the 'r'.

Am I overthinking things?

Thoughts? 

Serapod
Posted (edited)

Give her the Irish spelling. It is a lovely nod to your lost son and their heritage. People will deal with the spelling.

Edited by Serapod
  • Like 12

Dustyblue

Fiadh is a beautiful name, as is Tadgh. I'm so sorry your little man passed, massive hugs.

I personally adore Irish girls' names like Aoife & Clodagh. And boys names like Ultan. I named my son Declan.

People will always have opinions and trouble with names, but they'll likely get used to it. 

I'd probably go with a the easier to pronounce version though. A bit like Jacinda Arden with her little girl Neve.

• Like 4

*bucket*

I would go with Fiadh. It's a lovely name,  and definitely use the correct Irish spelling.

I suspect you/she will need to spell it out, as it isn't a common name, and people won't necessarily guess the correct spelling either way.

If your DD has issues with the spelling/pronunciation when she is older, she can always shorten it to just Fia.

• Like 3

José

I agree that fia doesn't look quite right.

Although I had absolutely no idea about how to pronounce the name when I saw fiadh. 

She will always be telling people how to pronounce her name and how to spell her name.  But she's not the only one.  It will be ok. 

• Like 2

born.a.girl

No I don't think you're overthinking, and I love the Irish spelling (being a county clare descendent).

I wouldn't (and still don't) remember how to spell most of the Irish names I see, so I wouldn't let that affect you.

Remember whenever she's giving her name and it doesn't matter, Fia is going to be fine.

These days with Australia's multicultural population, many people can't spell my first name (not uncommon for the fifties) and especially my second name (origin is Welsh with a silent gh in there).

• Like 1

Bereckii

I am sorry you lost your little man.

I agree that Fiadh is a beautiful name. 

I would be inclined to go with the original spelling, even though I was not confident with knowing how to pronounce it myself when I first read it. 

To give you an idea as to how I would likely have approached it the first time I encountered the name (e.g. calling it out in a waiting room or whatever) I would likely have guestimated "Fia...? Fi-ad...?" So I would not have been confident, but I would have been heading in the right direction. Given it's such a short name, I think that once I had been corrected, I would not have to be reminded again. So yes, it's likely to cause problems with first time reading/spelling, but should not be too difficult beyond that point.

All the best. 

• Like 2

daisy007

I am sorry about your son. I think you should use the Irish spelling, it’s a beautiful name and a nod to your son and your husbands heritage. Yes she maybe have to spell it out for many people (Me included) but that’s ok, it happens for many names.

• Like 2

Sweet.Pea

You could drop the d? So it's Fiah.

It's a beautiful name. Sorry to hear about your son.

• Like 1

Dustyblue

OP, I've re-read this and I've changed my mind already. I'm loving Fiadh now!

As an example of 'trouble with names'- my DH has 2 first names and people always mix them up. Think Doug Grant or James Stuart. He's spent his life correcting it but meh, big deal.

Do you have a middle name in mind?

• Like 1

marple
11 minutes ago, Sweet.Pea said:

You could drop the d? So it's Fiah.

It's a beautiful name. Sorry to hear about your son.

I think this is a great idea if you are worried the Irish spelling is too hard. But I've been friend over the years with Aisling and Siobhan etc . People get used to it pretty quickly. 

• Like 3

Flower89

Thank you everyone for your beautiful responses. And thank you for acknowledging our son 💙

The middle name we have chosen is Louise. This is after my sister as well as our beautiful boy’s NICU nurse - an absolute angel on Earth who we will never forget. 

• Like 6

Gruffalo's Child

Fiadh is lovely, especially with the original spelling.   Even if you spelt it Fia, she will probably go through life having to tell people how to spell it (I have a very common name  - Jane - and even have to spell that to people) so she might as well have Fiadh which is gorgeous and has such a  beautiful connection with her brother.  

• Like 1

Dustyblue

Fiadh Louise is gorgeous. 

Wishing you an uneventful rest-of-pregnancy and a healthy Xmas baby :)

• Like 2

Pearson

Name: fiadh o'connor. Preferred name: fia o'connor

It may make it easy for all those who don't know how to spell it.

• Like 3

kerilyntaryn
Posted (edited)

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious son. I would go with Fiadh, my daughter had an girl Eilidh in her class, and after the first time, their were no problems with spelling and prounciation.  Fiadh  Louise is a beautiful name and so special  too

Edited by kerilyntaryn
  • Like 2

PocketIcikleflakes

I'm sorry about the loss of your son xx

I agree with most PPs that Fiadh in full is beautiful and that you or your daughter can usually opt for Fia as the preferred name if needed.

• Like 2

Gudrun

Fiadh is gorgeous.  Light and airy.  It's not really hard because it is short and because Irish names spelt traditionally are not that uncommon in Australia.  And the Irish community has grown in recent years.  I would not simplify it.  

If young Fiadh complains about the spelling when she gets older just say she is free to spell it Fia if she wants and when she grows up she can change it on her birth certificate if she wants.

This happened with my daughter's name.  She simplified it when she was a kid and some time later started using the original spelling again and changed nothing. 

• Like 3

la di dah

I'm so sorry about your son. I think a name that goes with it is a lovely aspect. 

I know a Clodagh, a Saoirse, a couple Siobhans and Sineads who are all grown and fine and using the names, to say nothing of myriad children with Celtic names.

My own name isn't Irish at all but it is difficult and obscure and I manage. I wanted to be Jenny or Jessica as a kid but all's well that ends well and I grew into it. 

• Like 2

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Use Fiadh as her "offical" name, but when forms ask for preferred name, write Fia. (Teachers will appreciate the heads up.)

• Like 1

Sentient Puddle

I am very sorry about the passing of your precious son.  I have 2 children with Irish names. My DD has one that hasnt been mentioned yet but it is on the more difficult side to pronounce and she actually loves it.  All the kids in her class in primary school would point out how to say her name to any substitute teachers even before they got to her.  I did give her a more "standard" name as her middle name but she loves the slightly unusual aspect of her first name and as Australia is very multicultural it helps that many of her friends dont have more "standard" names as well.  Anyone who asks about her name - my go to is to say the name Siobhan and how that is now a fairly commonly accepted name and most people could also spell it. It seems to help people get their heads around letters which seem to point to a different pronunciation! Xxxx

• Like 1

Astrocyte

Fiadh is a gorgeous name. I would definitely go with the traditional spelling. I find Fia to be incomplete; like somehow I know it should have more letters (that may sound weird especially as I see Mia and Pia as 'complete' names). 

I'm sorry about your son. Tádhg is a lovely name. 

• Like 1

Kreme

I would go with the traditional spelling for sure. My kids have had classmates called  Róisìn, Saoirse, Niamh,  Eilidh, Caoimhe. Everyone copes just fine and I find that because you have to invest a bit of time into learning the name I remember them, whereas with some of the more common names I get them mixed up and forget who is Ava and who is Mia.

I’m sorry about your son. 

• Like 3

Lesley225

I think we're passed the oh you have to choose an english name because we couldn't be bothered to learn a 'foreign' name - in my childhood more like to be european and later asian.  

I know someone who is Alessandra and she always used Sandra but i think her full name is so much prettier.   

• Like 1

3babygirls

Fiadh is absolutely gorgeous and I love the little nod to her brother.

We are quite a multicultural society and I wouldn't be scared to use a name of your husbands Irish heritage for worries of spelling. Considering I once taught a class with 3 spelling variations of Jack... (Jack, Jakk, Jac) so "obvious" spellings aren't so common now. 

• Like 1