Sign in to follow this  
JomoMum

Fridge snacks - growth spurt!

JomoMum

DS, nearly 7, is going through a massive growth spurt at the moment. 

He eats well, little junk, but is hungry again 30mins after eating a meal. And for the first time I think ever, his lunchbox is coming home from school completely empty. 

What are some snacks or foods you keep in the fridge for kids to help themselves? other than the regular fruit/veg. We always have things cut up like rockmelon, carrot sticks, strawberries and he can have hummus, avocado, cheese etc. 

Are there some higher protein things I could do? He doesn’t like boiled eggs or red meat particularly. 

Heaven help us when he’s a teenager and his little brother catches up too 😬

Riotproof

If he would eat it cold, you could keep things like zucchini slice or quiche in the fridge. Possibly scotch eggs if you think he’d like those. 
Otherwise, nuts. If you are in Melbourne, I strongly recommend the royal nut company. Just because they are so fresh and very reasonably priced, though have bigger packs than a supermarket would. 

• Like 1

MsLaurie

Maybe make some sweet nut loaf? Something like this: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/nanas-date-nut-loaf

It’s a bit more filling than a standard cake type thing, and can be frozen in slices. The nuts/dried fruit/carbs combo should keep him going.

Dianalynch

Yogurt is a favourite here, marinating and cooking a batch of chicken drumsticks can be good to have on hand cold, nuts like dry roasted almonds, my ds likes bliss balls made from dates, almonds and cocoa I keep that in the freezer, as a sweet treat mine like oat heavy Anzac biscuits, we reduce the sugar by a lot and top up with oats, they’re very filling. 

anatomicalheart

My offspring are all carnivores, and the following seem to be the most eaten snacks:

Sliced roast turkey
Cold meatballs
Cold cooked chicken wings

Aside from meat:

Cubes of cheese
Sushi, when I have the enthusiasm to make it
Mini tins of four-bean mix
Boiled eggs which are often turned into egg and lettuce sandwiches
Rice crackers with slices of pepperoni and cheese
''Quinoa bites''- cooked quinoa mixed with a couple of eggs, some grated cheese, carrot, and zucchini and baked in mini muffin tins. You can also do similarly with rice- I've done some with a microwave sachet of brown rice, some leftover poached chicken, a bit of bacon, and a handful of spinach and they were demolished fairly quickly. 

Tween child quite frequently makes themselves a little cheese board with whatever cheeses and cold meats are in the fridge. 

• Like 1

can'tstayaway

Leftovers are good.  

They’re not just physically growing but also using a lot of energy in everyday activities too.  They need plenty of complex carbohydrates for fuel and plenty of protein to grow and help them feel full for longer.

So we have the usual snack foods but we also cook extra of dinner to deliberately have as snacks. 

JomoMum
23 hours ago, Riotproof said:

If he would eat it cold, you could keep things like zucchini slice or quiche in the fridge. Possibly scotch eggs if you think he’d like those. 
Otherwise, nuts. If you are in Melbourne, I strongly recommend the royal nut company. Just because they are so fresh and very reasonably priced, though have bigger packs than a supermarket would. 

Thanks! I’ve just ordered a few things online like snack mixes, broadbeans etc to keep on hand. 

23 hours ago, MsLaurie said:

Maybe make some sweet nut loaf? Something like this: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/nanas-date-nut-loaf

It’s a bit more filling than a standard cake type thing, and can be frozen in slices. The nuts/dried fruit/carbs combo should keep him going.

This is perfect! 

22 hours ago, Dianalynch said:

Yogurt is a favourite here, marinating and cooking a batch of chicken drumsticks can be good to have on hand cold, nuts like dry roasted almonds, my ds likes bliss balls made from dates, almonds and cocoa I keep that in the freezer, as a sweet treat mine like oat heavy Anzac biscuits, we reduce the sugar by a lot and top up with oats, they’re very filling. 

Almond bliss balls 🤦🏻‍♀️ He loves these! I haven’t made them in so long. I had heaps of pay heavy Anzac biccies in the freezer when I was expressing for our newborn at the beginning of the year but then stopped making them. Will definitely add that to the list. 

22 hours ago, anatomicalheart said:

My offspring are all carnivores, and the following seem to be the most eaten snacks:

Sliced roast turkey
Cold meatballs
Cold cooked chicken wings

Aside from meat:

Cubes of cheese
Sushi, when I have the enthusiasm to make it
Mini tins of four-bean mix
Boiled eggs which are often turned into egg and lettuce sandwiches
Rice crackers with slices of pepperoni and cheese
''Quinoa bites''- cooked quinoa mixed with a couple of eggs, some grated cheese, carrot, and zucchini and baked in mini muffin tins. You can also do similarly with rice- I've done some with a microwave sachet of brown rice, some leftover poached chicken, a bit of bacon, and a handful of spinach and they were demolished fairly quickly. 

Tween child quite frequently makes themselves a little cheese board with whatever cheeses and cold meats are in the fridge. 

Yep I’d happily snack on meat things all day too. Those mini muffins sound delicious. 

22 hours ago, can'tstayaway said:

Leftovers are good.  

They’re not just physically growing but also using a lot of energy in everyday activities too.  They need plenty of complex carbohydrates for fuel and plenty of protein to grow and help them feel full for longer.

So we have the usual snack foods but we also cook extra of dinner to deliberately have as snacks. 

Oh tell me about it 😅 he had a trampoline class this week after school and ate all the way home (nut bar, apple and banana), then smashed two huge pork mince tacos with salad not an hour later. 

im definitely trying to make more for leftovers. With him eating more, and DS 7 months starting to eat more at each meal, I can’t keep up! 

• Like 1