JRA

How do they get away with this

JRA
Posted (edited)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-07/richmond-afl-nick-vlastuin-jayden-short-apologise-to-mabior-chol/12536008

Surprise surprise, footballers behaving badly.  Grabbing the genitals of the team mate for "fun", when he clearly didn't want it.

Any other job I would hope people would be at least sacked for that behaviour, but no, not footballers.

Edited by JRA
  • Like 4

got my tinsel on

and an apology makes it all good, apparently.

Meepy

Such double standards, just because they can kick a ball.  

• Sad 1

DirtyStreetPie

I generally try to refrain from touching my friends' genitals. It doesn't occur to me that this is something I might like to do.

But for these footballers, they would have had the following thought process: Hey, I should grab his balls. That'd be ****ing hilarious. Yeah, let's do it. *grab*

How does it even occur to them that they should do this? How does genital-grabbing even enter their minds? They're ****ed in the head.

• Like 15

Soontobegran

They are seemingly becoming a protected species.  Players, partners and coaches caught flouting the ISO laws with a slap on the wrist and fines that are less than a match play fee. It's not good enough and I say that as someone who has a nephew playing AFL and up in Q'land at the moment so I am generally talking them up rather than down.

I understand AFL is an important part of our culture, I understand that it is revenue raising and I understand it is not all of them but their privilege is ever so much more noticeable whilst the rest of us are doing it so tough.

• Like 13

Not Escapin Xmas

So gross. The lot of them. And did you see Wayne Bennet breaking isolation rules? What a d***head.

• Like 7

TheGreenSheep
5 hours ago, Soontobegran said:

They are seemingly becoming a protected species.  Players, partners and coaches caught flouting the ISO laws with a slap on the wrist and fines that are less than a match play fee. It's not good enough and I say that as someone who has a nephew playing AFL and up in Q'land at the moment so I am generally talking them up rather than down.

I understand AFL is an important part of our culture, I understand that it is revenue raising and I understand it is not all of them but their privilege is ever so much more noticeable whilst the rest of us are doing it so tough.

I am beyond annoyed at the massive double standards they and their families are enjoying. Really grinds my gears how they can behave like celebrities with massive salaries and permission to flaunt all the rules/lockdown/social standards. I find it perverse to grab a mates gear. 

• Like 5

Hypnic Jerk

Fortunately for me my long distance eyesight is that poor that I thought it was a grab on the bum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AnythingGoes
44 minutes ago, Hypnic Jerk said:

Fortunately for me my long distance eyesight is that poor that I thought it was a grab on the bum.

There was two separate incidents - after two games and two different players doing the grabbing - same victim. One grabbed the bum and the other the genitals.

So potentially your eyesight isn't that bad yet..

lizzzard
2 hours ago, TheGreenSheep said:

I am beyond annoyed at the massive double standards they and their families are enjoying.

Why? Do you really want the freedom to behave this way?

I am less worried about so-called 'double standards', and more interested in what this behaviour says about behavioural norms more broadly. We saw these actions because they happened in a very visible context....but how often does this sort of thing happen amongst males in groups that are less visible? People talk about this being a football culture issue and I'm sure there some element of that. But I also wonder if its convenient to focus on that angle instead of recognising that this sort of thing may well happen when males get together in general. However, the fact they are footballers does matter - not because the behaviour is confined to footballers and they getting 'special treatment' in getting away with it, but because their actions might reinforce the acceptability of the same conduct more broadly.

• Like 6

Meepy

Taylah Harris has spoken up about it and is getting a barrage of sexist abuse on twitter about not knowing what men do etc.  The privilege of all football players is disgusting.

I was surprised there wasn't much backlash about the hubs and ability to continue earning when much lesser paid workers were suffering.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

HollowNight

Although their status as AFL players may help shield them from consequences for their actions, I don’t think this issue is specific to sports stars. I think the idea of male on male sexual harassment being harmless or even comedic is Indicative a broader societal view. See this video on the trope of male on male prison rape being presented as humour in Hollywood movies as an example.

• Like 6

MadMarchMasterchef
5 hours ago, lizzzard said:

I am less worried about so-called 'double standards', and more interested in what this behaviour says about behavioural norms more broadly. 

I would say the issue is that people see the double standard and think 'well they aren't following the rules, why should I? '

(assuming PP meant corona-wise rules) 

• Like 1

DQMission

I dont know, but I suspect this plays well into the 'alpha male' attitudes that are cultivated in competitive sport.

Surely it is a way of 'emasculating' the victim by treating them as they would treat a female (ie. being a pig and groping at them) so its a way of relegating them in pecking order of things. 

If there ever comes a time when women are not seen by society as objects to use and abuse and secondary to men, then I think this kind of behaviour would die out.

Could be completely wrong though.

• Like 13

TigerQueenofSheeba

I am local to where some of these football players are staying. They have taken over several local hotels, one a place where wedding are frequently held. 

Couples with booked weddings and accommodations are being told to ping off and go elsewhere. 

Sick of seeing footballers do whatever the hell they want. 

• Like 5

TheGreenSheep
10 hours ago, lizzzard said:

I am less worried about so-called 'double standards', and more interested in what this behaviour says about behavioural norms more broadly. We saw these actions because they happened in a very visible context....but how often does this sort of thing happen amongst males in groups that are less visible? People talk about this being a football culture issue and I'm sure there some element of that. But I also wonder if its convenient to focus on that angle instead of recognising that this sort of thing may well happen when males get together in general. However, the fact they are footballers does matter - not because the behaviour is confined to footballers and they getting 'special treatment' in getting away with it, but because their actions might reinforce the acceptability of the same conduct more broadly.

No I certainly don’t support the culture of touching one another, as I said in my comment, it’s perverse. 
Double standards is my comment in relation to their special treatment and special exception to ISO like the rest of us are under 🤷🏼‍♀️

BadCat

I'm appalled at the support I'm seeing for them. Just boys being boys.

• Like 6

Popper

It is bullying actually. Absolutely messed up. My son caught this on the news. At age 8 he was so confused and repulsed and I am really angry that I had to try to explain such inexplicable behaviour. 

It has it all. Bullying. Sexual harrassment. Racism. 

Anyone offering an excuse is a disgrace.

• Like 8

TigerQueenofSheeba

I had to stop looking at all the comments of "boys will boys" and "it's just playing around".

• Like 1

Gumbette
Posted (edited)
On 08/08/2020 at 7:36 AM, Not Escapin Xmas said:

So gross. The lot of them. And did you see Wayne Bennet breaking isolation rules? What a d***head.

This.  I was going to respond to STBG and say it's not just AFL players that seem above the law - NRL are too.  

It's not Wayne Bennetts fault really.  He didn't know he couldn't visit restaurants, cafes, clubs, golf courses etc.  Somehow it was communicated to every other player & coach, but not numb nuts Bennett or Paul Vaughan.  Then again the guy left his wife of 42 years (who cares for their 2 disabled adult children - how hard would that have been when he's been on the road for much of his life), for a much  younger woman.  He obviously doesn't think with his brain.

Edited by Gumbette
  • Like 3

kadoodle

I’m appalled. Where’s Peggy O’Neal or Brendan Gale condemning this?

Treasure Island

I'm appalled at the support I'm seeing for them. Just boys being boys.

Oh really? Then why aren't they all doing it to each other? I might buy that excuse then. Clearly this man was targeted due to a back story we are not privy to. But what do we expect? These men are always looking for excuses - just boys being boys, it was just a joke... blah blah blah.

doubledelight

The mansplaining in the comments nearly made my head explode.  We teach our children that they have sovereignty over their bodies, obviously we need to add a caveat "unless you play testosterone filled team sports" because then it's game on.

The toxic masculinity that has been cultivated in these domains has leached into all corners of our society.  These are not the people we want our community to tout as role models.

I have a son who is an elite athlete, even as a small child it was apparent that his ability was something special and he had the talent to use this across mutliple sports and in primary school I had a teacher try and change a punishment that had been issued because he played in her sporting team and she wanted to win the fixture he was set to miss.  She was horrified when I insisted the punishment stand.   At 9 years old exceptions were being made for him because of his sporting ability, and not for his benefit.  It is the enabling we need to change, once we change this then we can enforce the expectations.

• Like 5

spartan_mum
Posted (edited)

I spoke to my DH about this and he too believed its a storm in a teacup, all men do it and it's no big deal. He plays soccer and says it happens all time. Apparently on one occasion a player was swinging his p**is around and slapping others with it. I mean WTF?? why would they do that.

He just didn't see the big deal. I tried to explain what if the guy who was groped didn't want it to happen and while he conceded that's a different story but in this case it wasn't the guy making a big deal about it but those that saw the footage. Again i tried to explain that it might be hard for him to say anything given its his team mates and would most likely be ostracised further. But i just go a shrug of the shoulder and like well that's just the way it is. 

My DH wouldn't (well i don't think he would) do that kind of thing himself but still wasn't willing  to condemn other men for it. Sigh, we have a long way to go.

Edited by spartan_mum

YodaTheWrinkledOne
On 09/08/2020 at 9:52 AM, Popper said:

It is bullying actually. Absolutely messed up. My son caught this on the news. At age 8 he was so confused and repulsed and I am really angry that I had to try to explain such inexplicable behaviour. 

It has it all. Bullying. Sexual harrassment. Racism. 

Anyone offering an excuse is a disgrace.

Pretty much this. It is targeted physical harassment with the intention to intimidate and control. It is unacceptable. 

But not if you are a bloke and play sport. Then it's just a bit of fun apparently. 🙄

Total mixed messages for kids, trying to figure out what behaviour is appropriate and what's not.

• Like 1