MadMarchMasterchef

Those who have had a pay cut due to CV

MadMarchMasterchef

I'm curious to know whether people have had a straight out pay cut,  or hours reduced.  

Mine and DHs have been done in a bit of a weird way meaning we work the same hours,  we will still pay a lot for childcare but our actual take home pay is reduced. (being obscure on purpose about where we work) 

I realise Im very fortunate to still have a job but a little stressed as we have things like OT which wont get any cheaper but our income to pay for it will drop, and 3 kids to pay childcare for. 

• Sad 1

kimasa

Hours changed resulting in loss of pay. I used to work Sat-Wed, I now work Mon-Fri, so I've lost my penalty rates.

DH has been stood down.

• Sad 1

MadMarchMasterchef

ETA - obviously we are not in Victoria,  we are both working in the office. 

MadMarchMasterchef
2 minutes ago, kimasa said:

Hours changed resulting in loss of pay. I used to work Sat-Wed, I now work Mon-Fri, so I've lost my penalty rates.

DH has been stood down.

You are in Melbourne aren't you?   Sending big hugs.

BornToLove

DH’s workplace accepted a 5% pay cut (unionised so they voted on it). No change in hours, though I believe management took a larger cut, 10%. 

• Like 1

kimasa
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, MadMarchMasterchef said:

You are in Melbourne aren't you?   Sending big hugs.

Yep. The stand down should only be for the duration of stage 4. Mine will go on for a bit longer unfortunately.

Edited by kimasa
  • Sad 1

MadMarchMasterchef
2 minutes ago, kimasa said:

Yep. The stand down should only be for the duration of stage 4. Mine will go on for a bit longer unfortunately.

I hope this lockdown works and its back to normal really quick xx   Stay safe! 

• Like 2

DogsLife

My DH has taken a 10% pay cut.

I have lost all my overtime hours which I use to do a lot of.  

We are not in Melbourne.

• Sad 1

StartledFlamingo

DP has been partly stood down, working 3 days a week instead of 5. In reality he's still working 40+hours. But as he's working out who to let go and how to keep as many people employed as possible, we're not complaining too much.

I've moved from part time to full time (government job) just in time to now have to take extra days of leave as we're in Vic and our childcare is closed. We were already on our second covid-positive closure when stsge 4 happened.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

MadMarchMasterchef
1 minute ago, StartledFlamingo said:

DP has been partly stood down, working 3 days a week instead of 5. In reality he's still working 40+hours. But as he's working out who to let go and how to keep as many people employed as possible, we're not complaining too much.

I've moved from part time to full time (government job) just in time to now have to take extra days of leave as we're in Vic and our childcare is closed. We were already on our second covid-positive closure when stsge 4 happened.

Sending hugs and stay safe to your family too xx

• Thanks 1

-Belinda-

I work at a university  in Victoria that voted in an "maximum 10%" pay cut for both academic and professional support staff (first  $30K is not reduced, in order to protect those on lower incomes).  Management estimate the savings will protect ~200 jobs.  

Around 200 people went via voluntary redundancy in  early July.  Regardless, there will be a 200-400  of involuntary redundancies in the next few months. And I suspect the number of contracts that will finish at the end of the year won't ever be reported. ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Jersey Caramel

DH's whole small firm went to 0.8FTE - so a 20% pay cut but also expectation that they will work less days (less work coming in).  DH was already on 0.9FTE so it hasn't been too big a difference. 

• Sad 1

MadMarchMasterchef
23 minutes ago, -Belinda- said:

I work at a university  in Victoria that voted in an "maximum 10%" pay cut for both academic and professional support staff (first  $30K is not reduced, in order to protect those on lower incomes).  Management estimate the savings will protect ~200 jobs.  

Around 200 people went via voluntary redundancy in  early July.  Regardless, there will be a 200-400  of involuntary redundancies in the next few months. And I suspect the number of contracts that will finish at the end of the year won't ever be reported. ☹️

Unis  are going to be really hard hit.  I saw the news Article about Melbourne uni losing a lot of staff.    Our 3 unis here have a lot of internationals too which is not secure at the moment. 

Sending hugs and thoughts for your family too. 

MadMarchMasterchef
23 minutes ago, Jersey Caramel said:

DH's whole small firm went to 0.8FTE - so a 20% pay cut but also expectation that they will work less days (less work coming in).  DH was already on 0.9FTE so it hasn't been too big a difference. 

If they had done that to us I wouldn't mind so much as we could cut down our childcare costs!  That's what Im annoyed about.  A pay cut is understandable, its the weird ways they have done it that's annoying. 

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

^a couple of our friends were  contracts at unis.  Their jobs are gone.  It sucks :( 

From the sounds of things the permanent staff were then expected to do extra work to pick up for the people who lost their jobs as well. 

barrington

I voluntarily elected to stay at the same part-time pay rate, even though I am now working at least twice as many hours per week.  

I love working where I do, and it was at risk of closing due to loss of income.  

• Like 1

mylittlemen
Posted (edited)

Like a number of big corporates, DHs employer gave everyone globally who earned over about $80k (adjusted depending on local living costs) a 20% paycut. C-suite took a 50% cut. They all voted agreeing to it as the deal was not a single person globally would be made redundant. The employer has kept their word and no jobs lost. 

No change to hours though or expectations around work output. 

Edited by mylittlemen
Adding detail
  • Like 1

Tinkle Splashes

We were effectively required to purchase 6 weeks leave, which amounted to around a 15% pay cut. This was due to anticipated downturn across some areas of our business.  Not my area, which has been as busy as ever. So less pay, but doing as much if not more work, purchased leave I am supposed to take by December but have no time to do so. 

Also no pay rises, no bonuses, and no promotions (I had been told I would be promoted this year, so very disappointed about this).

3babygirls

I lost a day of work for about a term, but have now picked it up (just what I need at almost 30 weeks pregnant) and i'm back to 4 days. Hubby has had a pay cut for the next year to 18 months, about 10% and there will be no pay increases for the next 18 months either. I think he usually gets 2% increase annually and he has to take 14 days unpaid leave annually too. 
It's a decent loss but we will be ok. I definitely worry for some of my friends though. 

Etta
1 hour ago, -Belinda- said:

I work at a university in Victoria which has not offered voluntary redundancy or the opportunity for a pay cut. 471 fixed term or ongoing jobs lost. Despite telling staff that 3% of staff would be made redundant, it is 6% PLUS the casuals who have lost work - in total, 28% reduction in staff numbers. Make sure you are in the NTEU - our university has been less than honest about what they are up to.

• Sad 3

lizzybirdsworth

Dh work took a 10% pay cut for everyone over $68k. 
the company then rebranded one of the brands (Which would have cost a fair bit)and now everyone is mad. 

• Sad 1

maryanneK

My friend had to take a 20% pay cut, no change in work hours. huge international professional consulting firm

maryanneK
2 minutes ago, maryanneK said:

My friend had to take a 20% pay cut, no change in work hours. huge international professional consulting firm

ETA she is busier than ever, so there is no reason why her pay should be cut. They are still busy, still working, still bringing in good profits for the business. I think a lot of companies are using this as a cost cutting excuse.  Same at our work. Company bottom line is very healthy but individual staff are being put in unpaid leave, stood down etc. It sucks

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

blackcat20
3 hours ago, -Belinda- said:

I'm having so much trouble getting contract renewals through even when there are grants for those peoples salaries...

• Confused 1

Mose

I have taken a 20% paycut for same theoretical hours.  It hurts because I am actually working far more hours than ever before for far less money.  But at least I have a job.