A New Start

Single, 3 kids and full time Uni?

A New Start

I am trying to work out if I can make this happen!!!

I currently work full time, in an ok industry but it isn't what I want to do forever. I am 41 now and 10 months out of a marriage give or take, the kids and I live in a rental and hoping to sell the old family home by the end of the year/early next year.

I can't do the degree part time at my closest uni but could look at a uni further away, this would allow me to work part time also. I don't want to stretch myself though - mentally that is.

i guess I am looking for others who are in a similar boat.

I could use some of the house proceeds to live off potentially? Although I do want to buy something. 

amdirel

I am a single mum to 3 and I did part time work, part time uni by correspondence with some workshops and placements. It was fine doing it that way.

A New Start

Thanks, however the degree I am looking at isn’t allowing part time study

DaLittleEd
Posted (edited)

If you want to keep working part time, could you consider studying externally? What degree are you looking at?

I am currently studying externally through Murdoch University, and the experience is much better than when I tried external study through a different uni.

Edited by DaLittleEd

A New Start

Possibly but it’s nursing and I think I would study better in a classroom setting 

caitiri

I think you would find nursing faculty would be used to parents returning to study so should have good support structures in place.  

DaLittleEd

I do find in classroom study more efficient, but I am loving the flexibility of external study.

SFmummyto3
Posted (edited)

I'm single and have three older kids but can only deal with part time study, different course though to you.

My dd is in her second year of full time Nursing and the contact hours are minimal. She's been able this Semester to bunch all classes and her Prac into just one day. Where you would need to make arrangements for, is when you do your compulsory placements at the hospitals. They may run for a fortnight for example and be shift times eg. 7am-3.30pm. Maybe ring the Uni and ask for some more information regarding timetable and placements. I reckon if you're organised you should be fine.

Edited by SFmummyto3

A New Start
50 minutes ago, SFmummyto3 said:

I'm single and have three older kids but can only deal with part time study, different course though to you.

My dd is in her second year of full time Nursing and the contact hours are minimal. She's been able this Semester to bunch all classes and her Prac into just one day. Where you would need to make arrangements for, is when you do your compulsory placements at the hospitals. They may run for a fortnight for example and be shift times eg. 7am-3.30pm. Maybe ring the Uni and ask for some more information regarding timetable and placements. I reckon if you're organised you should be fine.

Thanks.. that’s good to hear.

my next question is - can you get Austudy as well as FTB? I’ve tried looking online and can’t get an exact answer 

Treasure Island

I was on parenting payment and ftb when I was studying and got the study supplement which was an extra $60something a fortnight. I had to apply for the supplement. I imagine you would get both austudy and ftb.

SFmummyto3

I received both Austudy as well as FTB, I don't think one affected the other, they were treated separately pretty much (though not 100% sure). But definitely I received the full amount of both payments. I think you can also get an exemption for the proceeds of sale to be excluded from the assets test for one year and can apply for a second year also. Whilst renting you could also get Rent assistance too. There might be financial scholarships to apply for as well.

A New Start
6 minutes ago, SFmummyto3 said:

I received both Austudy as well as FTB, I don't think one affected the other, they were treated separately pretty much (though not 100% sure). But definitely I received the full amount of both payments. I think you can also get an exemption for the proceeds of sale to be excluded from the assets test for one year and can apply for a second year also. Whilst renting you could also get Rent assistance too. There might be financial scholarships to apply for as well.

Oh that’s great to know.

I tried to get through to Centrelink but can’t be on hold for that long whilst working at home.

i really want to be able to do this but don’t want to add financial stress to my life!

SFmummyto3
Posted (edited)

Have you already applied for FTB? If not, then you should just apply online immediately and at least start that ball rolling.

Apologies I've just reread your original post..Austudy is just for full time enrolment or a 75% minimum study load. If you study part time then you won't get Austudy.

Edited by SFmummyto3

A New Start
1 minute ago, SFmummyto3 said:

Have you already applied for FTB? If not, then you should just apply online immediately and at least start that ball rolling.

Yes I already receive some FTB, as well as child support.

TigerQueenofSheeba

it may pay to check with Centrelink if they take your financial settlement into account too. 

amdirel

When I was studying I got Parenting Payment Single, and FTB.

Dianalynch
Posted (edited)

There are some bachelor of nursing degrees that run part time, depends on the uni. Monash does for example. 

Another option worth considering is to do a diploma of nursing, as it’s shorter, then when it’s complete pick up an enrolled nurse position part time while completing the last 2 years of the bachelor degree. I suggest this as being employed as an enrolled nurse, you’d have a more understanding employer when it comes to completing practicals in years 2 and 3 (generally 720 hours worth) vs a standard employer. You can also work casual shifts around your study commitments, there’s industries crying out for staff who would allow that eg aged care. 

Edited by Dianalynch

amdirel

The degree I did was nursing too. There's lots of uni's that do it part time.

bakesgirls

I worked full time, did full time uni and I had my 3 kids full time after my marriage ended. My kids were 2, 5 and 12, and I was a shift worker. It's definitely doable, it just requires a lot of motivation, organisation and an employer who will work with you and understands that you may need a bit more flexibility for the duration of your course. I did it full time  because I just wanted it over and done with and I had to work full time because I couldn't afford not to.

I was receiving FTB, PPS and the education supplement which you have to apply for separately. I didn't receive Austudy, but that was because I wasn't entitled to it due to my income.

A New Start
14 hours ago, TigerQueenofSheeba said:

it may pay to check with Centrelink if they take your financial settlement into account too. 

Yeah I was thinking of that as well. I don't know what to do - My brain tells me that at 41 I need to invest in property again (most likely a unit I can rent out as I can't afford a home for us all to live in at this stage) but not 100% sure yet. Thanks though, will definitely remember that.

12 hours ago, Dianalynch said:

There are some bachelor of nursing degrees that run part time, depends on the uni. Monash does for example. 

Another option worth considering is to do a diploma of nursing, as it’s shorter, then when it’s complete pick up an enrolled nurse position part time while completing the last 2 years of the bachelor degree. I suggest this as being employed as an enrolled nurse, you’d have a more understanding employer when it comes to completing practicals in years 2 and 3 (generally 720 hours worth) vs a standard employer. You can also work casual shifts around your study commitments, there’s industries crying out for staff who would allow that eg aged care. 

Thanks, I just don't want to travel to get there. Any of those uni's are a 1.5hour commute each way unfortunately. Not something I would want to factor in if I didn't have to. I will look at the Diploma idea though. I hadn't thought of that - thanks!

11 hours ago, bakesgirls said:

I worked full time, did full time uni and I had my 3 kids full time after my marriage ended. My kids were 2, 5 and 12, and I was a shift worker. It's definitely doable, it just requires a lot of motivation, organisation and an employer who will work with you and understands that you may need a bit more flexibility for the duration of your course. I did it full time  because I just wanted it over and done with and I had to work full time because I couldn't afford not to.

I was receiving FTB, PPS and the education supplement which you have to apply for separately. I didn't receive Austudy, but that was because I wasn't entitled to it due to my income.

I don't currently receive PPS, I assume due to my income, but will look at these. My children are older which will make it easier although at the moment with WFH, remote learning and all the other COVID related issues it all feels too hard! You sound very dedicated and organised! What an achievement!