purpleduck

Do you still have a family desktop?

purpleduck

I guess this is a more general question of how many devices do you use in your family and what is your tech set up at home?

Our old iMac is about to die and we're trying to figure out basically what our tech set up will  be for the next few years. Do we replace the desktop with another one or choose a different type of device? Kids now have BYOD, phones get handed down as required/if possible. We try to extend the lifespan of our laptops and phones as much as possible, so I am trying to take the longer term view. Plus its so $$$ to buy even one computer (we're a mac household).

We only have 1x primary age kid left, and I'm not keen on ipads only for them as its not great ergonomically, but we have a few years before they BYOD at high school.

So as your kids get older, how has your set up at home changed?

(I add the disclaimer here that if I sit back and review this post, I sound ridiculously privileged :( I guess there are a lot of families who have multiple devices when you tally them all up, but still, its so much money that is added to "living expenses" over the years...)

Kiwi Bicycle

Yes we do as DH is in IT and a gamer. The other day our wifi router was not working but the desktop is plugged in. DH was able to sort the issue out.  However we have a firewall, backup and more that hangs off the desk top. Most people won't need this.

We are not Mac so upgrading and replacing parts is easy.

seayork2002

No, we have 5 laptops (2 home, 1 DS school one and 2 work ones) 

DS12 does his homework at the dining table on the laptop and we mainly watch tv in bed on the home laptops (unless in the lounge on our only tv)

Ds has a Ipad which he had to have for primary but he needed a laptop for highschool so uses the Ipad for his gaming then has a playstation

I play games on my smartphone and DH is not into gaming but plays the PlayStation with DS

No Drama Please

We do have a desktop computer I use for work all day (not a mac so not $$) but the kids can use when I don’t and we also have a couple of iPads that work sporadically so is normally something that works but you sometimes have to wait your turn!

JRA

Our set up is.... significant.

DH has a Mac which possibly once was a "family" mac.  I have a mac laptop, DS has a mac laptop for school stuff.  DH and DS then have gaming computers, and old gaming laptops, which I now also use for work.  DH and I have ipads

FiveAus

No, we never have had shared computers. Husband and I have always had our own (each) and when the kids were at home, they each had one as well. Now we have an iMac each.
On the weekend my daughter moved back home and her friend who was helping her commented on our "cute, matching iMacs". It honestly never occurred to me that people might share a computer.

nightmarish

I know this isn't typical, but we have a desktop each which we would not be without. I have not shared a PC with anyone since I was 14ish and bought my own. As well as being used for education they are our entertainment and hobbies. We have a old desktop set up as a minecraft server/firewall/adblock, and a home theatre PC which is also used for VR. DH and I have a laptop and we have two ipads, one is current and one is ancient. 3 smart phones. 

At the moment the kids don't usually need a device for school, but DS will need a chromebook when he gets to highschool in 2022. I still expect he will primarily use his desktop at home since chromebooks aren't exactly powerful.

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar

maurie

We have way more now than when dd was little.   DH and I each have desktops and laptops, I also have a tablet.    DD has a macbook, an old ipad from school and has just ordered herself a new  ipad.

DH is in IT and has set us all up.   I have no idea how it works but my  study is the control room with printer/router etc and everything talks to each other, tvs included.  DH has a separate study downstairs with all his work stuff.

I quite often find dd (uni student) in my study using my desktop and her laptop at the same time for assignments.

purpleduck

Oh good, so its not just us who have more devices than people in the household 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Squeekums The Elf

We have a desktop that whole house uses but mostly me for surveys as tablets dont always handle them. The 2 tablets we have are for me and dd fun stuff

Its bare bones basic, no camera or mic, bought 2nd hand. DD could do basic word stuff or learning sites but no zoom classroom stuff

No laptops, it died and no need for one, we use tablets more

Freddie'sMum

I have a desktop because I really dislike laptops !  DH has multiple devices, the girls have laptops for school and phones.  And yes, we have an inordinate number of devices - much more than the number of people in the house.

dadwasathome
Posted (edited)

We do - I'm on it right now. That said, it's mostly used by DP and I, but does have a 27" screen. It's the initial strogae point for family photos etc. (3tb memory).

The boys mostly use their laptops, and we do also have cloud storage. DS17 (yr12) has somehow managed to keep using the same Macbook AIr since yr7. DP and I also have work laptops.

Phones and ipads get a workout too, for videos or browsing. DP has a keyboard on hers for work email.

Edited by dadwasathome
  • Like 1

Jenflea

Dh and I have a desktop each.  We both game and I use it for EB too.  

DD uses mine a bit too. 

Our Samsung tablet is crap and basically flat all the time so no  one uses it. 

DD has a Chromebook for school so she uses it for drawing and youtube videos(she loves ASMR stuff *shudder*) and the odd bit at school. 

I never use EB on my phone but I do use it for FB and bits and pieces. 

can'tstayaway

Short answer is, no. 

We are a household of 2 adults, 2 high schoolers and 1 primary child. Apple household here too. 

Devices currently in use - one iPhone each and the children have school issued devices (Samsung and SurfacePros).  Two of the iPads are in use - 1 by the primary school kids for games and 1 by me for watching shows and supervising/spying on DD’s online activity.  We have an Apple laptop (no idea which one but I assume expense because DH choose it) that DH and I share for the rare time we need a proper computer for work.  I find my phone sufficient for my work 95% of the time.  

Devices still perfectly functional but rarely used - 1 iPad, 4 x various Apple laptops. Occasionally the kids will dust them off to use for games but they’re not really into gaming. We also have a PlayStation and Xbox and Switch and Wii which are only used during school holidays and often not even then. We did win an Apple desktop a few years ago. It sat in our garage for a while, we then offered it to extended family but no one wanted it. We gave it away eventually. 

Oh, we have 3 iPad minis which act as remotes for the house.  They control lights, tv, blinds, air con etc if we don’t have our phones handy. 

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef

Timely thread.  We have a desktop and a laptop.  DH has a work laptop.  But if we end up WHF and LFH then we will need 1 additional device as we have 2 school kids.  It would be a laptop Id imagine.

If you were buying a new computer these days laptops are more bang for buck.  But they are more fragile and less upgradeable.    I dropped a laptop once and cracked the screen.  I mean you can plug it in to the tv but its a pain! 

• Like 1

lizzzard

We have two kids - DD13 and DS12. We have a lot of tech in our house:

1. 4 x ‘work/school’ laptops - we each have one

2. 3 x personal laptops - DH and I have Macs and DS has a gaming one

3. 3 x iPads - used for YouTube watching 

4. 4 x iPhones

....and various peripherals, earphones, Siri, Xbox, etc

Our setup is expensive but reflects our family ‘norms’ - we all like our own space, are independent/ do our own thing, are all heavy tech users for work and play, and have very different interests so having our own devices prevents any conflict. 

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
3 hours ago, purpleduck said:

Oh good, so its not just us who have more devices than people in the household 🤣

Well we also have a tablet, phones and a switch but use them for different purposes.  ;)

Ive just been thinking I might look into setting up a raspberry pi for the kids school work.  Maybe they can help me. 

Lou-bags

We've never had a desktop, always laptops. 

I got my first laptop back in 2006, when cloud storage was not a thing and I needed my documents to be portable (and thumb drives were really expensive, my first one was $80 for 256 MB storage... can you imagine?). 

But I think I might get one in the future (or get some screens and keyboard and run from my laptop) as there are times when two screens would be super useful for my work and also despite working almost exclusively on a laptop (at home and at work) for the past over a decade, I do think desktops are a better set up ergonomically. 

In total in our house we have:

2 x laptop (mine, DH's)

2 x smartphone (mine, DH's)

1 x iPad (DH's for work but also used by the kids on occasion for streaming ABCKids etc). 

1 x Xbox (loathe this, wish DH never bought the damn thing but I digress).

Our kids are only young though, turning 4 and 7 soon, so we are not at the stage of needing devices for school yet. 

liveworkplay

We have a family desktop (not mac) Older 2 kids have laptops (school BYOD) b but no other laptops (I have a work macbook allocated from my employer) Kids have older style ipads each (DD3 has a newer one as it is BYOD for her primary school) DH and I and oder kids have phones...all mid range android. If our PC died we would replace it for sure.

SeaPrincess

When I went back to uni, I needed to replace my old iMac. All the children have school devices and I was tempted by a MacBook, but at the end of the day, DH convinced me to get the desktop for myself. I’m the only one who uses it, but I prefer the larger screen and being able to have multiple documents visible at once in a way that I just can’t on the laptop, although I’ve recently discovered I can add my iPad as an extra screen!

dadwasathome
8 minutes ago, SeaPrincess said:

When I went back to uni, I needed to replace my old iMac. All the children have school devices and I was tempted by a MacBook, but at the end of the day, DH convinced me to get the desktop for myself. I’m the only one who uses it, but I prefer the larger screen and being able to have multiple documents visible at once in a way that I just can’t on the laptop, although I’ve recently discovered I can add my iPad as an extra screen!

We bought quite a high spec iMac around 5 years ago. Unlike prvious desktop machines (we've had them for 25 years or so), the specification hasn't aged dramatically, and it can still do everything we ask it to do. There are a couple of ports that it doesn't have, but otherwise it's still providing very solid service.

DS12 is saving for a gaming PC, so we'll see how PC versus Mac ages.

Charli73

Ooh timely here too.. just about to ditch our huge desktop PC, redesigning the study and we each have laptops so no point. I did buy a new computer screen as DH needs two screens for work but I’m excited to get rid of the huge PC box, it was full of viruses and built in 2000. 

kids are 8/9 and have an iPad each, as do DH and I..  while I never used the laptop much I might use the laptop now I have a home one and a work one and a new desk and room to work... 

kimasa

We have a gaming PC that DH and I built together (and continue to modify when we can get great parts, although that's obviously not happening at the moment). It's not really a "family PC" though, it's just for gaming, and it's a bit if an ongoing project/hobby so sometimes it's out of action.

I have a laptop that is mostly average but with a few little additions that I use for work and formerly study (I bought it when I was doing a diploma).

DD has a refurbed iPad that I hate with a passion. I lost against DH in the iPad/android tab argument and guess what it sucks for online school. The numerous school apps have blown the storage and I am not paying apple $1.49 a month for a storage level that should be a basic requirement on principle.

Then we have the frankentop. It's this cute little mint green laptop that a friend of mine was going to chuck because the fan was gone, and I'd never modified a laptop before so I wanted to give it a go. It's a mess, lol. It works better than the iPad for school though despite it having bits in there that shouldn't be in there, except for meets because I stuffed the webcam and can't figure out how to fix it and don't really have the time at the moment.

Then 2x smartphones, mine and DH's (Oppo and iPhone).

Oh there's a third laptop in a cupboard that belonged to my aunt that the screen went from. I've taken parts from it but one day I will figure out how to fix that because it's something I'm yet to learn.

I like taking things apart.

JomoMum

Yes we do. The printer is connected to it and we find it useful for many different little things. It sits at a small desk. If I was still working, and doing it from home, I would still have the dual screens too. 

The family share one iPad currently, our oldest DS is only 6, so I imagine he will get his own tablet or laptop in the coming 2-3 years for (mostly) school use. I use the iPad for general browsing but that would be it. He uses it to play games for maybe 1-3 hours a week.  DH also have our iPhones each. DS can have one when he has a job to pay for it.