Peanut

Explosion in Beirut

3rd time lucky

Oh my goodness. How devastating.

CrankyM

OMG. That’s incredibly devastating. 

Lees75

Very scary and a massive impact on the entire country. 

One Australian has already been confirmed dead from the blast.

The initial theory from the president is it was from a massive amount of ammonium nitrate fertiliser exploding at the port.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lucrezia Bauble

so awful. the footage is devastating. 

i have a colleague who is part of the Lebanese community in sydney - i’m thinking of her - it’s very close knit and i would say it’s guaranteed she has relatives and friends affected by the blast. it’s been an awful year for this community with the terrible car crash early on this year killing four children from the lebanese community, then one of their churches was the focus of a covid cluster here in sydney and now this. 

• Sad 2

3rd time lucky

Yes - I read similar. Ammonium nitrate stored in a warehouse and some sort of accident sparked by welding?

an accident - but some thought it was foreseeable and the chemicals should have been stored more safely.

Just so sad for a country - already suffering with COVID like many others. 

• Like 1

Peanut

The odd redness in the smoke after the blast  would appear to confirm it was the ammonium nitrate going up.  The questions would be why the chemicals were stored there for so long in such a large quantity (an obvious danger), and whether it was deliberately or negligently set on fire.  Either way, this is a terrible blow for the people of that city who are already in a difficult position.

• Like 3

born.a.girl

Unthinkable.   Looks like a modern day version of Hiroshima.   I should imagine the death toll will rise significantly. 

JRA

Just terrifying footage.

TigerQueenofSheeba
Posted (edited)

So very sad. 

My second thought was to wonder if Sally Faulkner's kids are safe.

ETA: just read that she said her kids are safe. Phew.

Edited by TigerQueenofSheeba

kadoodle

That’s terrifying. Poor Lebanon.

Squeekums The Elf

Damn thats bloody scary

was huge and that shockwave, mushroom cloud, just eerie

• Like 1

dadwasathome

A staff member at the Australian embassy amongst the dead, and 95% of windows in the building blown out.

Devastating for Beirut, but I suppose we localise things to make more sense. I think I'll need to stop watching videos though - going fomr the fire to the explosion has clearly taken far too many people by surprise.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Lucrezia Bauble

i always think of this phrase when disasters like this occur and you feel the world is too vile and there is no hope “look for the helpers” - and then i saw this - people can be amazing.

• Like 19

DirtyStreetPie

That footage is awful. It wasn't what I expected at all. I thought the original fire was it. Those poor people. :(

• Sad 2

Peanut

Just be warned, there's some images of deceased persons appearing in videos on Twitter.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

rosie28

I saw that photo of the amazing nurse holding three babies and just hoped the photographer have put down the damn camera and grabbed a baby! 

The explosion footage gave me such a fright, I was thinking the fire was the aftermath of the explosion and that was bad enough. I’ve never seen anything like it, the only thing that compares is the towers coming down on 9/11. Terrifying. 

• Like 6

Lunafreya

Apparently the ammonium nitrate,  2,750 tonnes of it, wasn’t even meant to be there. It was taken off a ship back in 2014 when the ship was found to be unseaworthy. 

It is dangerous, dangerous stuff. Creates its own oxygen so when it’s on fire it just feeds itself and BOOM

• Like 1

Lou-bags
2 hours ago, rosie28 said:

I saw that photo of the amazing nurse holding three babies and just hoped the photographer have put down the damn camera and grabbed a baby!

A long time ago I read an article by or about a photographer who captured photos of all kinds of sad, scary, dangerous, horrific things.

They talked about how hard it is to take the pictures and not do something (not that they never did something), but how important it is to capture these images and that is actually doing something, too. Bearing witness and capturing the moments to share the story and awareness. I can’t do it justice. It was a moving piece.

• Like 11

TigerQueenofSheeba
40 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

A long time ago I read an article by or about a photographer who captured photos of all kinds of sad, scary, dangerous, horrific things.

They talked about how hard it is to take the pictures and not do something (not that they never did something), but how important it is to capture these images and that is actually doing something, too. Bearing witness and capturing the moments to share the story and awareness. I can’t do it justice. It was a moving piece.

I recently watched a short documentary on one of the first women to document domestic violence by photographs. She talked about how difficult and necessary it was to take those photos instead of taking action. Without those pictures there was no proof all the way back in the 70s (I think it was). It changed my perspective on this kind of activity (not paparazzi though lol).

• Like 3

VigilantePaladin
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Lou-bags said:

This is why I could never be a nature photographer. I'd want to save everything.

I found the explosion footage fascinating. The white outer "shell" cloud was interesting to watch how it expanded and then just disappeared...

The whole thing was just terrible though. A terrible terrible accident ☹

Edited by VigilantePaladin
  • Like 3

MadMarchMasterchef
9 hours ago, TigerQueenofSheeba said:

I recently watched a short documentary on one of the first women to document domestic violence by photographs. She talked about how difficult and necessary it was to take those photos instead of taking action. Without those pictures there was no proof all the way back in the 70s (I think it was). It changed my perspective on this kind of activity (not paparazzi though lol).

Journalism played a huge part in turning public opinion on the Vietnam war as well.    

• Like 4

born.a.girl
10 hours ago, Lou-bags said:

Absolutely, I remember reading something along those lines, too.

It's important to remember that the photographer may have passed many situations already where they could have 'lent a hand', and we'd never know about the nurse with the babies.

Horrific to think of a hospital being being so damaged, right when so many need it desperately.

• Like 1

Romeo Void

I've just read there's 4 times this amount of ammonium nitrate stored in Newcastle. It's supposedly safely stored...but I'd be feeling pretty damn uncomfortable with it close to my home.

• Sad 1