appledumpling

Baking paper sticking

appledumpling

What am I doing wrong?

I make a tart case with flour, icing sugar, almond meal, butter and an egg yolk, rest in fridge, roll out and line the tin, another 20 min in the fridge and then blind bake using baking paper - brand name, and ceramic pie weights. When I take the paper off after about 10min at 190deg, some of the dough sticks to the paper, causing holes in the shell, divots etc.

Very annoying. Google has not provided me with any answers, maybe EB can.

born.a.girl

I use olive oil spray on mine, but when I forget it's not too bad. Then again, my weights are ancient broad beans which provide weight with their bulk.   Might be the weight of the ceramic pie weights?

We won't mention the time my husband poured them straight on to the pastry.

• Haha 1

BornToLove

I would suggest a little cooking spray or butter on the baking paper to prevent sticking. However, I agree the weights might be too heavy. I also use old beans as weights. 

*bucket*
1 hour ago, born.a.girl said:

We won't mention the time my husband poured them straight on to the pastry.

I once did this with RICE. Oops. I did not get it all off. And I learnt my lesson.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

seayork2002

We made chocolate muffiny brownie cupcake things on the weekend in those paper cases and half of it was left behind in it when we peeled them off so thanks pp we may try oil first

• Like 2

eponee

I think maybe next time try baking it with the weights for a few minutes longer

• Like 1

Pearson

Don't pour weights from a height, or press down on them.

My pie weights started out as an ancient pack of red lentils that got stuck behind the dry goods basket.  Yes, I have forgotten baking  paper before too. 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

ckmelb

Is it possible you've accidentally bought greaseproof paper rather than baking paper? I've done this before

• Like 2

purpleblaze

What’s the difference between greaseproof and baking paper?

can'tstayaway

My first thought was also maybe they are under done which is why they are still sticky. 

Also, if your beads are too heavy, they could be causing pressure points and pressing the paper into the pastry. I prefer rice for blind baking.  They are small enough to get right into the edges and spread the weight evenly. 

You could try using a second piece of paper so when you take the beads out, the second piece isn’t being pulled directly off.  I also scrunch the paper up so it doesn’t have sharp crease bits to poke my pastry. 

blimkybill

Coles brand baking paper is a bit crappy. I have found I need to use a better brand of baking paper. 

Redchick2
9 hours ago, seayork2002 said:

We made chocolate muffiny brownie cupcake things on the weekend in those paper cases and half of it was left behind in it when we peeled them off so thanks pp we may try oil first

I’ve had this happen when I buy different to usual brand muffin cases and it drives me crazy!

IamtheMumma
8 hours ago, blimkybill said:

Coles brand baking paper is a bit crappy. I have found I need to use a better brand of baking paper. 

I've found Coles brand always sticks. Its like...you had one job...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

appledumpling

Thanks for all the ideas, I will try using fewer weights or rice and cook for longer. 

I am using brand name baking paper.

Mind you the lemon tart made with this pastry is still always eaten and quite popular.

ckmelb
9 hours ago, purpleblaze said:

What’s the difference between greaseproof and baking paper?

Greaseproof paper is more for wrapping sandwiches etc. Baking paper is for the oven 

(I'm sure there's a more scientific answer but that's the gist of it). I used to buy greaseproof paper and stuffed up a few times using it in baking

• Like 1

Green Sage

Only buy glad bake, cheap greaseproof paper doesn’t work.

also, one side works better than the other sometimes. But I forget which side, so this is useless information. lol. Shiny side towards the food maybe? 

• Like 1

qak

I found Glad Bake stuck a bit, and use Multix instead. Cheaper too!

hills mum bec

When I line tins with baking paper I then grease over the baking paper with butter too.  

I find the Aldi baking paper terrible.  I only use Gladbake.

cstar
15 hours ago, seayork2002 said:

Yep I find that happens too, so I spray them first. 

Let-it-go

What about dusting the pastry with flour?  It sounds like it’s too sticky to me 🤷‍♀️.  

Riotproof

You can also try crumpling up the paper so it doesn’t sit completely flat. 

born.a.girl
15 hours ago, blimkybill said:

6 hours ago, IamtheMumma said:

I've found Coles brand always sticks. Its like...you had one job...

Great ... just literally got it five minutes ago in our click & collect cos I said o.k. to substitute     Oh well, we'll still eat the pies. :)

WaitForMe

Multix nonstick bake.

i had problems with other brands but this one does the job. 

Pearson
11 hours ago, WaitForMe said:

Multix nonstick bake.

i had problems with other brands but this one does the job. 

Here too, I  get their greener baking paper when I can too.

Sugarplum Poobah

I generally find that if I prick the pastry with a fork a few times then I need neither paper, nor pastry weights. It might not be dead level but it's going to be covered with filing anyway.