hills mum bec

Hospital Visiting

hills mum bec

My Mum has breast cancer and was taken to hospital yesterday with complications stemming from that.  My Stepdad called to tell me where she was and asked if I could come and visit.  I get to the large public hospital and report at the reception.  They ask me the usual questions, do I have any symptoms of COVID19 and have I traveled overseas or interstate within the last 14 days which was no and no.  He then said that he couldn't find my Mum in the patient list and that she was likely still in ER and I could go through to ER and check with triage.  Waited a while to speak to triage and was told that she had been moved to palliative ward.  Go back to reception to tell the receptionist and he points me in the right direction.  Palliative reception is closed with a sign to report to nurses station.  Get to nurses station and they show me to Mum's room.

I guess the point of this post is that during all this time not once was I asked for my name or details for contact tracing purposes.  I was allowed to visit a patient in a palliative ward by only telling somebody I had no symptoms and wasn't a returned traveler.  I didn't think anything of it when I was there but last night I just kept thinking about how I want my Mum kept safe while she is there and to me, they need to have tighter procedures.

I'm in SA so we are tracking pretty good here but yesterday tighter restrictions were announced due to a few new cases that have been out in the community before diagnosis and a couple of schools were closed for deep cleaning.  Now is not the time to get complacent.

Not sure if I should be speaking up about the hospital's visitor procedures or just let it go.

• Sad 3

JRA

I am so sorry to hear about your mum.

On the other front, I am shocked, but I am in Vic, and before it went all pear shaped, we had to record everyone who came to outdoor sport, so am pretty surprised a hospital doesn't need to record details

Soontobegran

I just spent a week in hospital which had it's own tracking APP that we had to sign up to before admission, we also had to have a negative COVID-19 test, go through the temperature check and answer all the questions before we got to the admission desk.

Once in we had NO visitors, we had to wear a mask as soon as someone entered your room which was almost the entire time, we were not permitted to walk around, our cutlery was wooden and the care was sparse to say the least. There was no linen changes, no bed made, contact by staff was at an absolute minimum.

I am shocked that it was so easy at that hospital OP. I hope your mum is as well as she can be.

MooGuru

I was in hospital the other day and had to wear a mask at all times plus temperature check and answer the usual questions but they also didn't take my details at all whereas I'm sure they did the previous stay. It made me feel uneasy too.

Odd-1-Out

I was in hospital all last week and they went on my visitors word they hadnt been interstate. This was at  large hospital in Adelaide. 

hills mum bec
32 minutes ago, Odd-1-Out said:

I was in hospital all last week and they went on my visitors word they hadnt been interstate. This was at  large hospital in Adelaide. 

But did they at least take your visitor's names and details for contact tracing purposes?  I would have thought that would be a minimum requirement at the moment.

Lunafreya

I was in hospital in early May when lockdown was still in place and I was only asked about symptoms. No Covid Test. But I was put by myself in a small room in ED where I had to scream for the nursing staff for pain relief from gallstone attacks 

amaza
4 minutes ago, hills mum bec said:

But did they at least take your visitor's names and details for contact tracing purposes?  I would have thought that would be a minimum requirement at the moment.

It's not currently a requirement to get the names and phone numbers of visitors. I personally get the names and the relationship to our patients so that I can keep track of who has been in to the ward I work on each day but the covid questions are the only ones actually required at this stage afaik. 

triangle

I dunno... hospital staff aren't security and at some point we have to expect that people will take personal responsibility for their behaviour.

yea yea... big expectation, very unlikely! We only need to look at the mess we are in to know that.

I visited a family member last week, in a surgical ward, SA metro hospital. I had to sign in my name and contact number on their sheet at the desk. Plus answered the travel/symptoms questions.

I hope your mum is ok

hills mum bec
2 minutes ago, triangle said:

I dunno... hospital staff aren't security and at some point we have to expect that people will take personal responsibility for their behaviour.

I get the fact that they aren't security but shouldn't they be keeping better track of who is coming in and out of the hospital?  Especially on a palliative ward where you have very vulnerable patients.  I reported to reception when I got there and the receptionist asked me the COVID questions, surely at that point if I am going anywhere beyond the reception area that same person should be recording my details.

I work in real estate, it is now law that we take down details of anybody inspecting a property.  When I go to a restaurant they need my name and phone number for contact tracing by law.  My kids have to get marked off the roll at sport training for contact tracing purposes.  I just don't get why a large public hospital is exempt from this when they are supposed to be looking after the people who are most vulnerable.

• Like 1

Let-it-go
43 minutes ago, hills mum bec said:

When I go to a restaurant they need my name and phone number for contact tracing by law.  

Really 🧐?  I’ve been going to restaurants since restrictions lifted and I’ve never once given my name.  Some have my details as I’ve booked but I’ve walked into heaps of places and eaten or had a drink.  There’s been restrictions with sitting and numbers per area but never had to sign in.   I get that some may choose to do it as part of their Covid plan but I’m fairly sure it’s not law.  An awful lot out there not complying if it is.

• Like 1

Let-it-go

Having said the above, I think this will all change shortly.  St Nic has always been very proactive in her approach here in SA as opposed to reactive so I’m certainly very happy to reign in our fairly normal life (well as opposed to eastern states) for a few weeks to keep things under control.  

PrincessPeach
15 minutes ago, Let-it-go said:

Really 🧐?  I’ve been going to restaurants since restrictions lifted and I’ve never once given my name.  Some have my details as I’ve booked but I’ve walked into heaps of places and eaten or had a drink.  There’s been restrictions with sitting and numbers per area but never had to sign in.   I get that some may choose to do it as part of their Covid plan but I’m fairly sure it’s not law.  An awful lot out there not complying if it is.

It’s a requirement for any sized eat-in restaurant in qld to record your name & contact number, even McDonald’s has a QR code you are asked to scan before dining in.

• Like 3

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

I'm in WA and was at the local hospital for an appointment last week. There was a station as you walked in with an admin person with a security guard stationed next to her that asked all the questions and took your name and contact details. Even though they would have had a record from the appointment attendance as well. You couldn't enter ED without going past them and they closed the other entrance. I'm really surprised this isn't something that is widespread.

Edited by CrankyM

Let-it-go
8 minutes ago, PrincessPeach said:

It’s a requirement for any sized eat-in restaurant in qld to record your name & contact number, even McDonald’s has a QR code you are asked to scan before dining in.

Yes my DH was there for work last week and told me.   He said the restrictions were tighter than here in SA.

PrincessPeach
15 minutes ago, Let-it-go said:

Yes my DH was there for work last week and told me.   He said the restrictions were tighter than here in SA.

That I’m not surprised about, you guys down in SA have had really low case numbers.

Let-it-go
9 minutes ago, PrincessPeach said:

That I’m not surprised about, you guys down in SA have had really low case numbers.

It’s all been relatively low stress but that seems to be changing very rapidly (similar to you in Qld), in the last few hours they’ve just listed some new businesses where known contacts have visited. 

MadMarchMasterchef

Very sorry to hear about your mum HMB 🌹

• Like 1

Hollycoddle
Posted (edited)

Our local hospital where I visited my own Mum a few weeks ago had a sign-in register at Reception for all visitors.  You couldn't get in without signing it.  However the hospital slightly further away, where my sister was getting her cancer treatment, just has the same processes as you mention hillsmumbec.  And that's for anyone entering the cancer centre with highly immuno-compromised people.

Edited by Hollycoddle

Odd-1-Out
12 hours ago, hills mum bec said:

No they did not. And we were even chatting with the nurse who was saying there will probably be a 2nd wave here.