Baily

Support for Victorians

Baily

I would love to see if we can support our EB members in Victoria.

Pretty sure we can collectively come up with some ways to make the next 6 weeks the tiniest bit easier for them.

I’m sure others can help come up with ideas.

It could be a regular phone call or text message, DM 

Mystery box for their child

Nice Candle, bath bomb, chocolates ect

Joke of the day

Starting a photo a day for 6 weeks, daily theme.

Lets work together and see what we can do, please add ideas! 

• Like 5

22Fruitmincepies

I like this idea! I feel a bit guilty that it’s so tough over there, when life here is so normal (for now at least). I’m sure my kids would love to go pick out some small toys or books to brighten the day of a family stuck at home. 

• Like 2

No Drama Please

Maybe people who sew could make face masks? In case it’s hard to get the things you need to make them.

• Like 4

maurie

Can you keep the COVID meme thread going, I always head in there for a laugh.

• Like 18

Lou-bags

I’m in.

Sadly I have no sewing skills. But happy to send a little something. My kids could also make a card or write a letter.

We could Skype so your kids can chat with mine (3 and 6yo boys - 3yo would happily show you every shirt he owns, that would kill some time lol).

Also happy to have a regular chat via phone or email or DM with anyone who’d like to.

Feeling so fortunate here in WA, and really want to help if I can so please Melburnians and Victorians, do reach out! 

• Like 3

Baily

Just saw supermarkets were getting hammered again.  

Maybe send a needed item. Eg toilet paper, pasta ect 

• Like 1

DQMission

I thought some self care care packages would be nice for families with year 12 students. 

I am worried about people living in poverty and having access to masks, especially cloth masks as they are quite expensive and even the material is to buy new. People living in poverty often don’t have the spare clothes to use for mask material either. 

could we organise an EB-wide online trivia night? A bit of camaraderie might be helpful for all. 

• Like 10

Baily

Loving these ideas 

SillyDuff

Haven't got any ideas, but would love help out. Feeling bad for all Victorians :(

• Like 1

Raspberryice
Posted (edited)

I’m not sure if members from VIC would be up for it but I was thinking along the lines of secret Santa? Except no reciprocal gift. So members put something like number of household members and ages and interests and then someone opts to send them a care package and they’re removed from the list? I know people often don’t like accepting that kind of thing but at the same time if I was in lockdown with my little one again after how much I struggled the first time I’d probably be so desperate and it would be nice to potentially receive some different stuff for him that I wouldn’t have thought of... 

Sorry if it sounds a bit trivial or silly. Just trying to think about what might be nice if I was in that position. Obviously they have to be happy to give address too which some may not I suppose 

Edited by Raspberryice
  • Like 9

cardamom

What a lovely, thoughtful thread. It's certainly put a smile on this Victorian's face :)

I can't speak for others, but I'm guessing some people (especially kids!) would probably appreciate some good old fashioned snail mail? I've been putting little notes and things in my 3yo neighbour's letterbox, I know she gets a kick out of checking the mail - it's one of the few lockdown-friendly activities we can do!

My mum has sent a few of my niece's drawings which I've really appreciated.

• Like 8

leosmum

As a Victorian, even just reading this thread and the lovely, kind thoughts from you all is cheering in itself - thank you 😊 

• Like 12

nom_de_plume

Yes, my youngest loves checking the mail and would love an old fashioned pen pal.

Please keep the meme thread alive. We could all do with a laugh!

• Like 3

Lou-bags

Ok so for pen pal idea, I have a 6-nearly-7yo who loves fishing, footy, all things cars/trucks, BMX, scooters, animals, cool sciences/nature facts etc. 

And a 3-nearly-4yo who could draw something unrecognisable and I could write out a note that he’d dictate to me.

Send me a PM with your deets if you’d like a letter for your child from either of mine 😁

• Like 1

born.a.girl

I think the pen pal for kids is amazing and brilliant.  Kids today (I sound like my mother, there) have instant electronic communication, but almost never receive anything through the post - on average.

• Like 1

marple

I have an 8yo Roblox and minecraft fiend who would be happy to be a pen pal with someone similar. Or any child really.

• Like 2

blimkybill

I'd like to volunteer to make some kids craft kits. Like a link to a Youtube story with a couple of associated crafts ready to go. Anyone who is interested in this idea for their 4-8 year olds let me know here or PM me. 

I feel so much for you all stuck at home with no kinder or school or childcare.

• Like 5

Lime-Polka-Dot
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, blimkybill said:

I feel so much for you all stuck at home with no kinder or school or 

Edited by Lime-Polka-Dot
I'm p*ssed off as a worker in this sector and need to keep biting my tongue
  • Like 1

nom_de_plume
12 minutes ago, blimkybill said:

I feel so much for you all stuck at home with no kinder or school or childcare.

We still have remote learning for school. I have heard anecdotally of some kinders doing home learning packs for their kids. It will be hard though.

I can't imagine suddenly limiting access to childcare will be good for that sector either.

DQMission

My 16yo has just had his art therapy group postponed due to the shift to stage 3 in our region. Any interest in creating a social creative art group for stressed out teens?

• Like 6

a letter to Elise.

Anyone like colouring in? I designed a colouring book a few years ago, and would be happy to email a few PDFs to people. They are mainly flowers, woodland animals, that type of thing. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

SillyDuff

My youngest has said he would draw some superhero pictures for any young ones to help cheer them up (this will be good for him as he hasnt done it for so long, and would love for him to get back into it) so pm me with your childs fav superhero. Attached example ( and because he would tell me to say - he watches you tube tutorials on how to draw them) 

20200802_210109.jpg

• Like 16

maryanneK

Thanks for the support everyone ❤️ it really does help. 

• Like 3

TND

I think support for Victorians is needed.  Check on your friends in Vic.    A letter or card could bring the one smile of the day to their face.  Everyone I know is doing it tough.  I think this lockdown may break some people.   

• Like 3

bubskitkat

Please don’t forget to support essential workers. These are the people whom are putting their own lives and those of their loved ones at risk.

• Like 4