spr_maiden

Long needle for weaving help please

spr_maiden

Hello crafters

I have been trying to find a decent size darning(?)/tapestry needle to do hand weaving on a lap loom.  I know a shuttle can be used for quicker weaving, but I find it more difficult than needles.

Ideally, I would like a blunt, metal needle that is about 5 inches long - with a bent tip would be awesome but not necessary.  If it is a varnished wooden needle that's great also, plastic is ok.  Just after something that doesn't catch as I pass it through.  Everything I find when I search is very short.  Or I actually have no idea of the needle size meaning because they are all categorised by diameter and not length.

Does anyone know where I can find one please?  Have you seen one around? My local Spotlight is useless, and I would like to know a store has it rather than browse in store because of 'rona.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated! I've been searching on and off for months and am really wanting to get back into weaving.  The tools I have atm make it too slow and unenjoyable.

Help please :)

spr_maiden

Oh, you are absolutely brilliant Demera! Thank you! 

I have been looking for months and a bag needle has never been returned in my search🤦‍♀️.  It  was doing my head in trying to find a thing I was sure must exist lol. 

Thank you again!

Demera
Posted (edited)

The first thing I thought of when I read your description was the 'antique' bag needles my dad used to stitch up bags of seconds grain from the header during harvest as we had an older style header.  I hope he sill has them somewhere.  He will, he's a hoarder, but hopefully he knows where. 

Edited by Demera
  • Like 1