Sign in to follow this  
pennskee

Lady startup activation course experience?

pennskee

Just wondering if anyone has done the activation course with lady startup - how did you find it? Did it help you  put your biz idea into action or help you come up with a winning idea? Just wondering if it’s worth the time and money. I don’t have a winning idea yet but I have a few I’m playing with. There might be other courses out there as well but it’s hard to know which are the good ones and google reviews can be a bit off putting too. 

Not Escapin Xmas

All those courses make lots of money for the person who runs the course. I wouldn’t go near them. (And I say that as someone who has looked at many of them in detail and almost signed up many times but now, 6 years later, I know the reality of getting a biz off the ground.)

The only way you really know if your idea will work is to try to sell it. See if you can get anyone to give you $$ on advance. Actual $.

oh, and decide on the best idea and stick to it. Bloody minded persistence, and taking action every day is what determines success or failure.

hope that helps :) PM me if you like :)

• Like 2

Silverstreak

I haven't done the course myself, but years ago DH and I did the NEIS program, which we enjoyed. Our business is still running years later. We were taught marketing, budgeting, producing financial figures, preparing a business plan, designing a website layout. Once the course finished (Certificate IV in Small Business) we were mentored for a year. We were paid the equivalent of Newstart and were allowed to earn a certain amount on top of it, which was very handy. Good luck and all the best with your business idea!

• Like 4

~elle~

I'd check out your govt office of small business or perhaps your local council has small business programs / mentoring sessions for nil or low cost rather than some random person offering a "course".

• Like 4

pennskee

Thanks for the responses Everyone - will check out the local gov resources. I also need to work through my feelings of fear.....

• Like 1

darcswan

Generally these courses don’t teach you anything that some googling, free gov courses and networking can’t.

But they do give the safety of structure to people, and the warm fuzzy feeling you’re making progress toward your goal (while simultaneously deferring the real work of starting your business).

• Like 3

~LemonMyrtle~
Posted (edited)

Sounds dodgy. Stay away. Sounds like they will flog their essential oils while you’re there and maybe sign you up to a friends MLM. 
There are plenty of short course business type courses you could do instead. You might even get a qualification from it. 

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~

**Tiger*Filly**

Check out the Chooks SA facebook group. It's based in SA but has members all over. Continual great resources and support for female led start ups.  Not dodgy :)

Ozquoll

Mia Freedman gets my back up, and so does the name 'Lady startup' - bleurgh 😒. I agree with darcswan about these kind of courses potentially just deferring the hard work of starting the business. Check out something like this and jump in the deep end and swim like crazy instead:

https://www.success.com/how-to-start-a-business-in-a-day/

• Like 3

lizzzard
On 03/08/2020 at 8:05 AM, pennskee said:

Thanks for the responses Everyone - will check out the local gov resources. I also need to work through my feelings of fear.....

IME, that feeling takes a looooong time to go away (maybe never) - even when you're consistently earning a good salary from your business... :)

• Like 1

Chocolate Addict
On 02/08/2020 at 7:59 AM, ~elle~ said:

I'd check out your govt office of small business or perhaps your local council has small business programs / mentoring sessions for nil or low cost rather than some random person offering a "course".

Exactly what I was going to say. Our council does lots of free small business info sessions and one on one appointments with an expert. (probably not at the moment though).
There is a great facebook page too - Like minded b**ches drinking wine.