null

Anyone want to join me in making cloth masks this weekend?

null

I am going to make some cloth face masks this weekend. Anyone want to join me and share their progress or share how they have made their masks?

I am not great at sewing but I want to give it a go. I have tried once but the fit was terrible. I am going to try this approach but add 3 twisted pipe cleaners around the nasal bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlZciAi6NxU

I am using the material guidance from https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/202007/Design and preparation of cloth mask_0.pdf.

Spotlight was out of small elastic so I am going to use t-shirt material cut into strips instead for around the ears.

The only polypropylene I could find was some pillow protectors - does anyone know if this would be suitable? The instructions say warm machine wash so I guess I will not be able to boil it as per the guidance on  https://makermask.org/fabric-masks-cleaning-and-disinfection/.

• Like 3

*Marty*

yes, I will be sewing - thanks for the tip about tshirt material for the ears.  I have enough small elastic for a few masks but will run out soon.

• Like 1

-Belinda-

Reusable "green" supermarket bags are also polypropylene....it isn't iron friendly either.  We had a surprising number of random giveaway bags which weren't that practical for groceries.  For the middle I've use either another layer of polypropylene or standard cotton sheet. Against the face I've used flannelette cotton sheet. We had a couple of worn out  in the middle fitted sheets which were still good around the edge.

You can use an elastic hair tie for each ear or loop hair ties together to make a band around your head.

I found three rectangles of 25 cm from ear to ear x 20 cm from nose to chin, with a couple of folds/darts sewn at the ear to create a good fit.

• Like 3

null

Getting started now.

KrwB3L6b.jpg

My sewing is very dodgy!

v2ihveZb.jpg

And here is what I am up to now ...

shWAs1Zb.jpg?1

• Like 2

.Jerry.

I will be sewing masks tomorrow.  

I found think elastic at the Cheapo-style stores.  Got hat elastic and also craft wire for across nasal bridge.  Grabbed pipe cleaners too.

Yet to get the correct fabric.

I printed out the Spotlight patterns.

(I'm in south Brisbane, so expect masks will be needed soon, or at least a good idea)

• Like 2

mandelbrot

Garden wire twine is good for around the nose - the green plastic stuff from Bunnings. Pipecleaners start to rust with all the washing and the plastic coating helps it last a little better. Also, if the wire snaps from too much bending you don't get poked.

• Like 3

Meepy

Flannelette gets very warm after a while.  It becomes uncomfortable.

• Like 1

mandelbrot

I liked @jojonbeanie's suggestion of an old pillowcase. That would be soft and also not as warm as flannelette.

• Like 3

null

Jerry I am on the southside too. I went out today wearing a disposable mask and the reactions from other people were very surprising. Many people swerved to avoid me so even if the mask did nothing it certainly kept other people away from me!

So my first attempt was a bust. Did I mention I am terrible at sewing? I thought I would start by making a mask for my 10 year old and reduced the dimensions . The 2 layers of polyester and 1 of cotton made the mask very thick. I tried to adapt the pattern but bad things happened as can be observed below ...

wDJY7Fk.jpg

A cup of coffee for me now and I will try, try again.

• Like 1

FeralZombieMum

I have everything except elastic. I have some party hats with elastic - so will use those until I can source some elastic.

I did have a stash, but either threw it out when I moved house (as some had lost it's elasticity and I hadn't sewed in years), or it's in a box that I haven't unpacked.

• Like 1

**Tiger*Filly**

I’m making some this weekend for a friend who is flying. I’ll be using the Rona mask pattern which I’ve used before. 

They sell elastic in Coles for those looking, might be worth a try.

• Like 1

bubskitkat

I’ve made a heap of masks.

the pattern I use is from YouTube.

you take a large dinner plate. Use a pen to draw around the outside and cut out a circle.

fold it in half so that it’s inside out. 

pin the half circle together.

Sew around the circular edges leaving 1 cm before the straight middle line seam.

then cut the middle seam which is the middle of the circle .

then you fold it out so that pattern of the material is on the outside.

you now have a half a circle.

what you then do is take seam edges and join together in the middle. Looks like a diamond shape,

fold the open part of the diamond shape towards the back. Ie so it looks like a nose cone.

with the open seam. Fold the fabric inwards about 5ml to 1cm. Pin along the edges. Then sew. 

then take opposite corner and fold inwards to make a triangle. Sew this in the middle to allow a seam to put your ribbon or elastic through.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bubskitkat

I have used ribbon and braided material instead of elastic.

• Like 2

bubskitkat

F8ECA47C-E320-4D75-9572-0FFB8B2813AD.jpeg

• Like 3

FeralZombieMum

OMG.

For the nose - we can use twisty ties from the freezer bags. What a great idea.

• Like 2

*Marty*
Posted (edited)

I have made 6 of these through the week - pretty easy pattern - although not as easy as some mentioned!  It has a pouch for the filter - we use paper towels for filters but I think I might make a washable filter as well.  My kids prefer this style and I have found it more breather friendly than the concertina style masks.  I have not bought any fabric but used to sew years ago for the kids when they were little - so some of the fabric is questionable in terms of style but ok as the lining side.

https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/

Have sewn a little pocket to put the removable pipe cleaners but like the garden twine better for rust reasons.

Ed to include link!

Edited by *Marty*
  • Like 3

null

Alright coffee done. I was looking through lots of videos (sorry Bubskitkat I am a visual learner) but they all looked a bit tricky. I will try Feral's video next. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Demera
Posted (edited)

I've made three different types so far, and I'm about to try a curved one today. So far I've only used flat pleated styles that don't require fitting two curved sewing lines together.  

This is the first one, except I've found only two pleats better than doing three.  I put a pipe cleaner all the way across and sew below it so it has it's own pocket. I find putting in the elastic very fiddly, so now I leave gaps at the end and insert the elastic once it's turned inside out. That allows me to adjust the length, which you can't do if you follow the instructions.   https://sarahmaker.com/how-to-sew-a-surgical-face-mask-for-hospitals-free-pattern/ 

This one is very thick and sturdy and suits my husband but it's a bit too large for me.  I made up the pattern based on eyeballing her ruler against her pattern.  I can supply my measurements for the pattern.  I found her instructions very easy to follow. Again, I put a pipe cleaner ALL the way across because my first with one left me with bulging gaps at the end of the pipecleaner. 

This one is super simple, and so far I've only made child size because I accidentally cut the fabric too small. I'll do bigger ones when I get a chance. It was so simple I only watched the video once and was able to make the mask without checking back.  

This is the one I've got ready to do next. Fabric is cut out ready to go.  

OK... verdict on this one. It's easy to make and looks nicer on, but it's too low on my nose, doesn't have a wire, and pulls down the moment I open my mouth.  I'm going to try shortening the elastic to pull it tighter across the nose, but I don't like the gaps. I wear glasses so gaps are really obvious.  I don't really know how to add a wire, might have to think on that. 

Edited by Demera
Added verdict on curved style (blue pic)
  • Like 2

PrincessPeach

Anyone know if I can just use 3 layers of cotton fabric? 

mr 6 declares the green bags all have a smell to them, my only other waterproof stuff here is PUL & I don’t think that is exactly safe.

FeralZombieMum
1 hour ago, **Tiger*Filly** said:

They sell elastic in Coles for those looking, might be worth a try.

I am in central Vic, so elastic is hard to come by. I remembered someone gave the kids play masks a few years ago, that were never opened. They have fine round black elastic in them - so perfect - and I have enough to make 16 masks.

The dinner plate one someone recommended to me. I am going to start off with some pleated ones first - with a pocket for a filter and I will see if I can have it so the wire is replaceable too.

I am thinking of putting loops in the corner of the masks and having them facing out - and then tying the elastic to them once it's all sewn up - that way the elastic could be replaced easily. This is for thin elastic.

3 minutes ago, Bereckii said:

https://jennifermaker.com/gaiter-face-mask-pattern-easy/

It is like a tube of material that goes around the neck and is pulled up over the nose and mouth as a face covering. 

I like that! Wouldn't be so good for working, but would be great for other environments. I have heaps of stretchy material I can use.

Ear savers - for those with a cricut.

https://sarahmaker.com/cricut-ear-savers/

• Like 1

*Marty*
21 minutes ago, Bereckii said:

Anyone tried making one like this?

https://jennifermaker.com/gaiter-face-mask-pattern-easy/

It is like a tube of material that goes around the neck and is pulled up over the nose and mouth as a face covering. 

That is like a buff or 'neck gaitor/neck warmer'.  We have these for hiking.  Not surprising, they are mostly out of stock!

Popper

I have zero sewing skills, but my beautiful cousin is whipping some up for my family and I am paying her. I have avoided large shops last couple of weeks (NSW) but writing is on the wall. I also ordered a 50 pack of surgical masks from Chemist warehouse today. 

Good luck to those clever folks sewing their own!

• Like 1

null

Well I am not clever! I plucked defeat from the jaws of victory by sewing the elastic the wrong way.

iy16VpX.jpg?1

x6CTYgR.jpg?1

My sewing must be getting better because unpicking it was hard!

Is it too early for wine?

• Like 1

null
47 minutes ago, PrincessPeach said:

Anyone know if I can just use 3 layers of cotton fabric? 

mr 6 declares the green bags all have a smell to them, my only other waterproof stuff here is PUL & I don’t think that is exactly safe.

I think you can use an outer layer of polyester, a middle layer of a polyester/cotton mix, and an inner layer of cotton (https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/202007/Design and preparation of cloth mask_0.pdf)