Hypnic Jerk

Removing SNS nails

Hypnic Jerk

I have SNS nails.  I got them when Covid19 started as I was still chewing my nails.

I have about 1cm of regrowth so I really need to remove them but alas, I'm in Melbourne.

Is there a beautician in the house that could step me through doing it myself?  Will I need to invest in some equipment, which I'm not actually averse to as I work with the public and it's too risky to go back to my old habit.

Let-it-go

If you get the acetone remover you can soak them off.  File some of the top layer off.  I think that works, I’ve done it with shellacs.

Kiwi Bicycle

You need acetone or a nail polish remover with acetone.

Soak cotton balls with acetone, wrap around your finger and then a strip of tinfoil. Wait 10 mins. You might need to use some chiropractic pliers to lever off the tough bits. 

Check Youtube for more info.

Bunnings sells acetone if you cannot find in a chemist.

• Like 2

PocketIcikleflakes
Posted (edited)

The nail techs did as above for me on a finger that I had a cut on. They used about a quarter ball so it only day on the nail, then wrapped foil around.

And a rough file to remove the excess a few times before re wrapping.

Edit. If you have a nail buffer use that once the SNS is gone, and oil to finish. I've not tried it but I'd guess olive oil should be ok?

Edited by PocketIcikleflakes

*Marty*

as above, op.  I found it worked better when I used an emery board on the top of the sns to get that very top payer off and them soaked, filed a bit more when it was softer.  Mostly relied on the nail polish remover, but the filing helped.  Its a slow process.  doing while watching a movie :)

Hypnic Jerk

I'm thinking of getting a DIY kit.  Can't see restrictions being listed any time soon.

kimasa

Then you have me, chipping them off with my other nails.

• Like 1

Let-it-go
1 minute ago, kimasa said:

Then you have me, chipping them off with my other nails.

I peel the shellacs off 😬.  And a few layers of nail.

kimasa
3 minutes ago, Let-it-go said:

I had nail art on one on each hand, so SNS base with a drawing done in shellac and then clear shellac over the top. On one hand it came off in hits and pieces but the other one peeled off in one whole piece which I found extremely satisfying. A little clear panel with a black fern on it.

• Haha 1

Let-it-go

Omg the joyous satisfaction when you peel them off whole 🤣😂

• Haha 2

Dusty
41 minutes ago, Hypnic Jerk said:

I'm thinking of getting a DIY kit.  Can't see restrictions being listed any time soon.

Me too, I’d be interested to hear which brand you’re looking at, I’m finding loads of mixed reviews on Amazon which displeases me 😉

Hypnic Jerk
43 minutes ago, Let-it-go said:

Hence why I'm in here asking!   That's how I used to do it and  I'd always end up chewing them.

9 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Me too, I’d be interested to hear which brand you’re looking at, I’m finding loads of mixed reviews on Amazon which displeases me 😉

I didn't even think of reviews.

I was looking at this:

https://americanbeauty.com.au/product/sns-dipping-powder-starter-kit/

But I like the colour changing nails which I can't see on there.

• Like 1

ali-song

My friend’s aunt developed Dazzle Dry, and she (my friend) says it’s great. Far less fiddly to apply, but lasts really well and easier to remove than shellac or SNS.

I (selfishly) hope we’re on top of transmission before we get to sandal weather. I am no good at home pedicures!