Daffy2016

Food battles - please help

Riotproof

Maybe dinner is too much pressure? 

• Like 1

Winter frost

Op. I was this child and then I had one of my very own as my daughter is the same.

i remember simply refusing to eat and my parents desperatly giving me sprinkle sandwiches to fatten me up (v early eighties!). But I also remember the arguments ...ahhhh and they didn’t change anything.  And I got terrible anxiety about eating out of the house as a result.

i hit about 18 and now I eat most things. Not a fan of beans or uncooked celery.

Because of all this I have chosen not to have a food battle with my daughter. I can usually get some raw carrot and raw spinach into her and a bit of fruit. As long as she eats some veggies, I am not going battle her to get her to eat the ones I want her or to push her to eat greater variety. I just don’t think it will work.

but ultimately there is probably no wrong or right here.

• Like 3

PrincessPeach
46 minutes ago, Daffy2016 said:

Yes they are - she’s stayed the same because I’ve been working from home, so no change there.

We do try to have dinner together each night. Interestingly I didn’t use the word ‘dinner’ tonight, just said it was time for pasta and bolognese, and she responded much better. Apparently she likes pasta but not dinner - her words. 😂

Oh I love toddlers 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Lallalla

I would say don’t let it turn into a battle.

But I also have a very stubborn child who just digs her heels in if you do. 

If it was me I would make sure there was always something on the plate she likes, something that pushes her boundaries and something with a 50:50 shot and then back right off.
Also give lots of time - at that age said stubborn child often didn’t start eating for 15 minutes or even half an hour or 45 minutes, sometimes long after I’d given up on eating happening 

• Like 1

Ruf~Feral~es
On 29/07/2020 at 11:15 AM, AllyK81 said:

We don't make food a battle ground but we are not short order cooks either. Eat what we eat or go hungry. We have never really done 'kid' food.

I think it's your statement of éat what we eat or go hungry' that sounds like a battle ground.  And 'short order cook'. I'm not a short order cook either, but I have a family where:

DH doesn't eat meat- fish only.  And trying to stick to a low-carb diet
DD wants to be vegetarian, but will generally eat a little chicken or steak.  Will not touch seafood of any sort.
DS will eat chicken, pork, beef.  Not a fan of fish.  And limited in every other way - peas, corn, white rice, plain pasta with grated cheese(or ham/cheese toastie).

And I like hot/spicy asian food and curries - some they will eat, some they wont.  I also struggle with low iron, and try to eat red meat where I can.

I really envy those people who cook one meal and have a family who will sit down and eat it.  Even the ones who can purchase a Hello Fresh meal box and find meals to accommodate everyone.   I can't force DH to eat other meats - why should I only respect the adult, and not the kids as well.

Throw in sensory or other eating issues, and some of us have no real choice.  Its not because of how we brought them up - as you have said, the hard line doesn't work for everyone.  

We find a way, and now that they are older, DD and DS will often prepare their own meals.  There are always some options in the cupboards, fridge and freezer to accommodate.  

• Like 3