Riotproof

Toy storage ideas for small houses

Riotproof

I’m just wondering what your best toy storage solution has ever been. 

I have just bought two messy mats that connect to a canvas tub. One for barbies stuff and another for Duplo/Kinnex. 
I have been contemplating one of those bean bags for stuffed animals to replace her little fold out sofa in her room. Any thoughts on those? 

Green Sage

Just lots of these flexi tubs. They’re good for dirty clothes too.

also, stackable tubs with lids for collections. And stack them all in a tower in a wardrobe. We have one for cars, one for duplo, one for wooden toys, one for farm animals, etc. Just pull out one, and they have to put it back before pulling out the next one (in theory) 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-storage-assorted-colours-storage-tub-60l_p2583350

• Like 3

Kiwi Bicycle

For the living room I have three seagrass baskets ( one an actual laundry basket which has the duplo) with small toys. I can pick them up easily when it's time to vacum. We also have a low craft table we put on castors for lego and it has 6 cube baskets underneath for storage.

I also have tubs in the wardrobe for train sets etc. 

You could do a soft toy hammock in a corner of the bedroom. 

• Like 1

ineedmorecoffee

We have an ikea expedit in the living/dining room with a box for each cube to store toys in, and the completed lego sets live on the top shelf. This is in addition to large plastic tubs with lids that live at the top of dd’s wardrobe and plastic tubs that slide under her bed.

Can’t wait till she decides that she is too old for toys, I may fade away before that happens 🙄

• Like 2

seayork2002

We got a ikea 'box' shelf that can go vertical or horizontal it has 8 square holes than can be turned into mini cupboards or some open and some with material boxes (what we have) so you can mix and match it

• Like 1

lizzzard

The best solution we used was a floor-to-ceiling 2-door wardrobe from Ikea with customised shelving - totally brilliant!

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

We got two storage ottomans. they are about as long as the end of the king size bed frames, well padded for sitting and are rated up to 100kg for someone to sit on them. 
Also a bedside table was handy as well for storing little bits and pieces.

Boxes with lids for under the bed. Smaller ones though so not everything gets mixed up in them, if that makes sense. I err labeled them too so it’s obvious what is supposed to be in them (cars, lego, knex, smaller art stuff). 

Edited by CrankyM

Winter frost

Also an ikea expedia fan here. We have the rectangular one with 8 holes.  Cubby house and play area on top. Also we use bookshelves spread in diff parts of the house for smaller toys that fit into a box. Ie little plastic animals etc.

Silverstreak

We have a big wicker basket for bulky toys

Lots of plastic containers for smaller toys

A bench seat with three pull out fabric drawers for DS' books

Either side of the TV cabinet is used for DS's books as well.

Our coffee table is now covered with random books and toys as well. I really should get some baskets to store underneath, but due to the table design, any baskets can't be pulled out, so I dunno.

Er, the top of our shoe shelf has some random miscellaneous toys on it too.

We have two wooden cabinets, one of which stores DS' school work books/ art  and school photos, the other stores his puzzles.

We have a  room mostly dedicated to train sets and lego, most of it belonging to DH. :ninja: Lego boxes are stored in wire shelving, individual pieces are separated by colour in industrial shelving units. Train sets are in a display cabinet that DH built.

Argh, I think I need more storage, but everything is open plan, so not a lot of wall space / storage space. Sorry, this is probably a most unhelpful post lol.

WaitForMe

The biggest cube storage I could fit in their bedroom - I think its 5x5. The top of it is great for big items.

Under bed draws, which we use for shoes, artwork, and spare bedding.

Another small set of shelves in the bedroom, and a little one in the lounge, all art and craft supplies are in the kitchen/eating area on shelves and I think its a drinks trolley.

Everything else goes into what I call the halfway house, aka the garage, ready to be given away. Sometimes those toys come out onto the lawn on a sunny day, they are fun for a bit but rarely make it back into the house.

Oh, soft toys, I have a big wooden blanket box in the lounge that they go in. For a while I had these crochet triangular things that hung in the corner of a room like a corner shelf but we don't have any empty corners in their room any more, none they could reach anyway. I've considered doing the bean bag thing but never gotten around to it. Tbh there just isn't room on their floor for it, they'd have no space to play.

Beanette

We have an IKEA Trofast, I like that the tubs are shallow so it's easy to see what's inside. 

Apart from that I just try to not accumulate too much, and joined a toy library! 

can'tstayaway

What are the kids ages again?  Do they like things on display or are they a pull out a whole tub and sprawl personality?

I find it’s pointless fighting against their intrinsic nature, so understanding them fist is important. 

My kids have been different so I’ve had to customise. When a solution is right, it causes me much less grief (not no grief unfortunately). 

One child is a display special items and hide everything else personality. So we had a nice glass door bookshelf for the special items and big tubs hidden in the wardrobe. At the end of the day, everything had to go in a tub ready to go into the wardrobe.  The tub was literally a (clean) mini wheelie  bin.

Another child liked sorting so the IKEA Trofast  system was perfect for them. Lots of small trays for sorting and a few big sized ones for larger items.  This child also liked labels.  To help, I used that adhesive photo paper to print a photo of what was supposed to be in each tub and stuck it on there. 

And the last child is a bit of a mix, so the Ilea Expedite was good. We had some pull out tubs, some drawers, some doors and some cubes left open for display. 

• Like 1

PuddingPlease

At this point, I'm leaning towards a bonfire...

• Like 1

Riotproof

DS10 is intrinsically lazy. He’s probably a bit like me in that he appreciates the organisation, but doesn’t actually want to do it. 
DD5 is creative. She is constantly creating.  She is constantly putting things in different comtainers, but the containers have no space. And has projects, intricate games on go all the time. She is also a hoarder and doesn’t like to throw things out or say goodbye to things, so I have started doing this by stealth. 
She is due to get a new bed soon, as she is finally outgrowing her cot that is a toddler bed, and she kind of uses her changing table as a storage space but we’d get rid of that too. 

can'tstayaway

I have a child who is a border too. We designated a space where the ‘special’ things go to be displayed. Once the space was full, they had to decide which item had to go to be able to fit new special things in. My kids have memories like elephants so if I did it by stealth, they would know something was missing and mourn for it. Having ownership of the process helped cull more. I also presented lots of opportunities to repurpose art such as wrapping paper, laminating as place mats (use the cheap pouches so water can seep in the edges lol) etc. 

One of my kids likes order and gets overwhelmed with chaos. It gets to the point where they don’t know how to begin to tidy. I’ve found that child needed more structure with really simple rules. It was then easier to follow so less mess for me to deal with. 

• Like 1