Jump to content
#notallcats

Coon Cheese to change name

Recommended Posts

#notallcats

It's a shame companies have to be dragged kicking and screaming into making  basic ethical and considerate decisions, but finally the company that owns Coon Cheese has decided to change the name, after a 20 year campaign.  

Friday’s announcement by Saputo, the dairy company that owns Coon, “to retire the Coon brand name”, comes after a decades-long effort to rename the cheese, including an unsuccessful 1999 complaint to the Australian Human Rights Commission from Indigenous activist Dr Stephen Hagan.

Hagan told the Guardian on Friday the decision was “a total vindication of 20 years of campaigning”.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jul/24/australias-coon-cheese-to-change-name-in-effort-to-help-eliminate-racism

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CallMeFeral

The local Facebook mums boards in my exceedingly redneck area have been going nuts with this. "PC gone mad!"

It's a depressing reminder of what the real community of the area I live in is like. 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3babygirls
Posted (edited)

EDITED OUT. 

Edited by 3babygirls
Not explaining myself well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
Posted (edited)

Actually the story's not quite that simple, that's the one that's been used to defend its continued use. The real story's has much less justification for being kept.

I think it might be worthwhile to ask the people who have had the word used as a slur against them for generations, how they feel about it.

I'll support whatever they want.   I'm thrilled about this, along with the other name changes that have only come about through recent events, despite the efforts of people for decades.

Edited by born.a.girl
removed quote.
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dadwasathome
21 minutes ago, CallMeFeral said:

The local Facebook mums boards in my exceedingly redneck area have been going nuts with this. "PC gone mad!"

It's a depressing reminder of what the real community of the area I live in is like. 

There is a 45 page thread on another forum dominated by the ignorant and the racist angry about a very reasonable move by. Canadian company in a globalised marketplace.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kimasa

About ****ing time.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl

The irony of people letting this change bother them, saying it doesn't matter!  

  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaitForMe
17 minutes ago, 3babygirls said:

I totally understand why they are doing it and support it, however it was named after it's creator Edward Coon, so the brand was never intentionally named to be offensive unlike some other products.

Honestly, why do people get so bent out of shape about it.. it's literally a name of a product.. why does it matter if it changes, other than some people might feel more comfortable with the name. I can't imagine that I would get upset about any product changing its name.. 

I think you are failing to see things from others perspective here.

Consider the word 'b**ch'. It means female dog. Also offensive and inappropriate to use in many situations. Highly inappropriate to see on supermarket shelves.

Actually I'd consider that less offensive than coon...

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
coastlife

Should have been changed years ago - like any product regardless of the orgin of the name - if the word is also racist (or othey 'ist) then it's a no brainer it should be changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Squeekums The Elf

the cynic in me says that they noticed a drop in sales, surveyed the market and name was high on list as to why people not buying

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riotproof
Just now, Squeekums The Elf said:

the cynic in me says that they noticed a drop in sales, surveyed the market and name was high on list as to why people not buying

Probably. Even so.. a change is a good thing. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3babygirls
3 minutes ago, WaitForMe said:

I think you are failing to see things from others perspective here.

Consider the word 'b**ch'. It means female dog. Also offensive and inappropriate to use in many situations. Highly inappropriate to see on supermarket shelves.

Actually I'd consider that less offensive than coon...

Yes, sorry. I think i've not worded what i've meant to say very well, i'm a bit blurry today. 

I am all for the name change. What I mean to say is that I don't understand why people are so bothered by a brand name changing to something that is more positive for others. It's a slur that is offensive to many people, so I only see it as a positive with change. 
I don't understand why people are against the change. 

I apologise. I'm still not sure if i'm explaining myself properly! 
 

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3babygirls
13 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Actually the story's not quite that simple, that's the one that's been used to defend its continued use. The real story's has much less justification for being kept.

I think it might be worthwhile to ask the people who have had the word used as a slur against them for generations, how they feel about it.

I'll support whatever they want.   I'm thrilled about this, along with the other name changes that have only come about through recent events, despite the efforts of people for decades.

I apologise. I don't think I explained myself properly in my post. I will edit it out.
I am 100% for the change, I don't think I explained it well. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, 3babygirls said:

I apologise. I don't think I explained myself properly in my post. I will edit it out.
I am 100% for the change, I don't think I explained it well. 

Gotcha, on re-reading I can see how you meant it, of course it accidentally used the same language those opposed to the change use.

I've removed your quote from my response.

Edited by born.a.girl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3babygirls
2 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Gotcha, on re-reading I can see how you meant it, of course it accidentally used the same language those opposed to the change use.

I've removed your quote from my response.

I sometimes find myself being misunderstood a lot online. I don't think i'm very eloquent in real life, but online I think it's even worse! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DQMission

Sorry, 3babygirls. I also misunderstood. Try not to stress, I am also expressing myself very poorly lately. Not fun, I know. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TigerQueenofSheeba

At first I thought "meh, what's the big deal" in using the name. 

Then I stopped and thought - of course I'm not offended, I'm a white person. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CallMeFeral
17 minutes ago, TigerQueenofSheeba said:

At first I thought "meh, what's the big deal" in using the name. 

Then I stopped and thought - of course I'm not offended, I'm a white person. 

I have actually seen a post going around (shared by a friend of mine who is not very intelligent, political views aside) saying - "I'm not offended by the name, share if you agree". 

Like... it's not about YOU as a white person at all - why would you even think it was???

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WaitForMe
40 minutes ago, 3babygirls said:

I sometimes find myself being misunderstood a lot online. I don't think i'm very eloquent in real life, but online I think it's even worse! 

It happens to me all the time on EB atm... its very frustrating!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bam1

I am glad it has changed, long overdue.

It is a shame that it is the surname of the inventor but it’s very offensive and no longer acceptable

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fennel Salad

About time. Now, does anyone have brain bleach to erase memories of those ads (in the deep '80s) with Peter Russel Clarke??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BECZ

On another positive note, DP, who has lived in Australia since a young child, didn’t even know it was offensive or to whom when I mentioned it a couple of nights ago.  He grew up in many regional towns with high indigenous populations too.

I was initially surprised, but then thought, it has been a long time since I’ve heard anybody use it other than talking about a brand of cheese.

Possibly just his ignorance though, but it was kind of a positive that he didn’t know that it was offensive.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dadwasathome

I’ve heard some younger people say they only knew the cheese in Australia. It would be nice to think that some forms of overt racism had died since my childhood.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Blue Shoe

I only knew it was offensive because of campaigning/coverage to do with the name change. I grew up in a not very multicultural area and even now (with much more exposure to different cultures, though not a lot of interaction with Indigenous culture specifically) I’ve never actually heard the term used in real life. Not saying it isn’t used and shouldn’t be changed, just a possible explanation for why some people don’t recognise the word as offensive and thus don’t understand why it should be changed. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bandwagon

I couldn’t believe it was a brand name when I came over from NZ. Very jarring. I don’t buy it for that reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...