Sign in to follow this  
Pooks_

Hope (religion and spirituality section)

Pooks_

I thought we might share with each other some thoughts and in these difficult times. 

This sermon from Nadia Bolz-Weber really spoke to me, as I have been reflecting on how I have new insight into how others must have felt in times of great upheaval. She is a Lutheran minister, so this is from a Christian perspective.

• Like 3

Datrys

Well, what can you add to that?  She's brilliant.

I've been thinking a lot about all sorts of connected things - as you know, Pooks, there's lots of other change going on in my life just now besides the pandemic - but I don't know that I have much helpful comment to make now.  I'll come back later if I can put my words into some sort of coherent shape.  :)

RichardParker

Thanks for sharing.  I have no idea what I think.  They're definitely in a sh*tstorm of upheaval in the States.  And we're all in a personal upheaval as this lockdown/iso forces us until a dark night of the soul, ready or not.   

Datrys

I've just started reading this: https://www.amazon.com/Edited-Richard-Lennan-Nancy-Pineda-Madrid-ebook/dp/B00ITUFKC6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Hope+promise+possibility+fulfilment&qid=1596160287&sr=8-1-fkmr1

And I was struck by a line early on (apparently drawing on Thomas Aquinas) which talks about hope as "the choice to pursue a good that is difficult to attain."  I think there's something encouraging in that, that even when I don't feel hopeful, I can still act hopefully; if that makes sense?