Jump to content
Chelli

COVID-19 coronavirus thread #7

Recommended Posts

Kallie88

Deleting weird extra post

Edited by Kallie88

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mose
1 hour ago, blue86 said:

Like attracts like

I liked this even though I couldn't decide if it was that the friends are morons, or that the poster themselves is a made up persona.  

Because you know, if you know enough to know that "Port of Melbourne will be newsworthy in a few days" either

a) you are making it up

b) you know something you either shouldn't know, or shouldn't share, which would include that tiny snippet.

And finally...if it is that interesting, may I suggest that a better descriptor would be that it's already newsworthy, just hasn't leaked yet?  I am pretty sure there are some A grade reporters who are done asking Dan dumb questions for the day who would be happy to hear your "story".

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
1 hour ago, Gumbette said:

I agree.  If anything that was a shining example of sheer dumb luck- the ship docked on March 19  and the entire country went into lockdown on March 24,  greatly assisting containment.

Plus, a group of mostly retired age people who went home and were able to isolate as they were not, on a comparable average, missing income.

Quarantine leak Covid on the other hand, was among a group much younger (so less sick if positive, less concerned about dying from it), with insecure work, right at the time we were allowed to have many more people in the house, and people had not seen each other for many weeks.

No wonder they're being ultra cautious this time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
6 minutes ago, Mose said:

I liked this even though I couldn't decide if it was that the friends are morons, or that the poster themselves is a made up persona.  

Because you know, if you know enough to know that "Port of Melbourne will be newsworthy in a few days" either

a) you are making it up

b) you know something you either shouldn't know, or shouldn't share, which would include that tiny snippet.

And finally...if it is that interesting, may I suggest that a better descriptor would be that it's already newsworthy, just hasn't leaked yet?  I am pretty sure there are some A grade reporters who are done asking Dan dumb questions for the day who would be happy to hear your "story".

 That's what I always think when I see 'I have it on good authority', but no source.

 You either shouldn't know, or shouldn't share, one or the other.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruf~Feral~es
14 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

 That's what I always think when I see 'I have it on good authority', but no source.

 You either shouldn't know, or shouldn't share, one or the other.

Or want people to say  "oooh, please tell us.  Go on...... pleeeeeeease" 

All I can hear is "I know something you don't know."   in a singsong, childish playground way.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dadwasathome
18 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Plus, a group of mostly retired age people who went home and were able to isolate as they were not, on a comparable average, missing income.

And then reinforcement by the authorities  of what quarantine meant (as my 90 yo aunt and uncle discovered it didn't include going to the supermarket)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JRA

This is not good in NSW and Qld where it is now seemingly taking a hold in some of the hospital health care workers. I see one hospital is now closed to visitors .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dadwasathome
4 minutes ago, JRA said:

This is not good in NSW and Qld where it is now seemingly taking a hold in some of the hospital health care workers. I see one hospital is now closed to visitors .

Although it's a concern, I think the language you've used is possibly as helpful as a number of headlines we see esch day. It's 6 cases of health workers across two hospitals. I'm pleasded that they are being abundantly cautious at Concord to avoid further transmission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JRA
2 minutes ago, dadwasathome said:

Although it's a concern, I think the language you've used is possibly as helpful as a number of headlines we see esch day. It's 6 cases of health workers across two hospitals. I'm pleasded that they are being abundantly cautious at Concord to avoid further transmission.

In  Ipswich 220 staff have gone in to quarantine. It is great they are being cautious but that is a huge group of workers who suddenly can't work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
got my tinsel on

Concord Hospital will be closed to all visitors for the remainder of the week.

NSW - Gold standard one day - in the sh*t the next.

Edited by got my tinsel on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
can'tstayaway
37 minutes ago, JRA said:

In  Ipswich 220 staff have gone in to quarantine. It is great they are being cautious but that is a huge group of workers who suddenly can't work

I agree with JRA.  We’ve seen that it doesn’t take much for a small outbreak of Covid to explode.  We need people to be aware that it’s in the community and it’s not life as usual no matter what Morrison tries to tell us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dadwasathome
3 minutes ago, can'tstayaway said:

I agree with JRA.  We’ve seen that it doesn’t take much for a small outbreak of Covid to explode.  We need people to be aware that it’s in the community and it’s not life as usual no matter what Morrison tries to tell us.

Whereas I read it as Victoria level shaming.

If the cluster in NSW grows significantly, I'd wear a PP's "in the sh*t". If people are back visiting their loved ones at the weekend I'd be saying "a concerning outbreak luckily identified early  and well managed".

It's far too early for "in the sh*t" unless we're all getting back tot he sniping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
purplekitty

 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
can'tstayaway
6 minutes ago, dadwasathome said:

Whereas I read it as Victoria level shaming.

If the cluster in NSW grows significantly, I'd wear a PP's "in the sh*t". If people are back visiting their loved ones at the weekend I'd be saying "a concerning outbreak luckily identified early  and well managed".

It's far too early for "in the sh*t" unless we're all getting back tot he sniping.

Our emotions are all a bit heightened after this long alongside the pandemic.  I read JRA’s post as a cautious warning from someone who is living under level 4 restrictions.  

I’m coming from a perspective of having just starting to be comfortable and cautiously optimistic to back to daily checking on the Department of Health’s website for new potential exposure sites, keeping masks in the car for when we go shopping and more restrictions.  I don’t want to end up with more restrictions and have little appetite for risk when it comes to Covid. I’ve seen friends lose their income during the first round of restrictions. I’m watching other family and friends working ridiculously long hours and taking extra precautions as HCWs. 

Letting people know that it is active in our community is important.  We need to modify our behaviours slightly to minimise risks for everyone.  Having an opposition front bencher liken Covid to a mild flu is infuriating.  That is why they won’t be elected, not because Qld has border restrictions.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meepy
41 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

 

The reasonable Liberals i.e. Hewson, Turnbull have stuck their heads up defending Andrews.  Very interesting.  The religious right takeover of the LNP has sowed division.

I hope we can get rid of COVID in Australia before Christmas but if everyone keeps demanding we open up before it is time, it won’t happen.  Patience, people, patience.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Green Sage

Has anyone mentioned on this thread that all Australian journalists have been kicked out of China now? Like others have before them?

are there any international journalists left in China at all?

what happens next time there is a new disease from China, will we even know about it?

its all a bit sus. I feel sorry for people living in China.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~
Poor grammar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meepy

Thanks Fahrook, I knew there were more, couldn’t remember exactly who - I think Baird was one of the first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
XieXie
2 hours ago, purplekitty said:

 

That’s so creepy. Scott Morrison is seriously the most two-faced politician this country has ever seen.

Dan’s best buddy originally... now underhandedly orchestrating against him. 

His sneaky coup against Malcolm, with no blood on his hands.

But this goes way back. Even the way he got pre-selection into his seat is dodgy af - by smearing his rival

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/nasty-saga-you-nearly-missed-20091025-hem5.html

Watch out. The man is just a political animal. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just Another Cat
3 hours ago, Fahrook said:

I hope Dan actually sees some of this support and not just all the trashing.

From the link...

I’ll finish with the famous words of Teddy Roosevelt. Words that Dan, and all our leaders, probably need right now:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood… who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chelli

New thread time.

Link to new thread

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...