Chelli

COVID-19 coronavirus thread #7

seayork2002
Just now, dadwasathome said:

Which markets? Paddy's? I can't find much info other than "the east end of City of Sydney", and then not why.

Yeah I hear Paddy's but that is not in the CBD so not sure how it all works

Jersey Caramel

The case was at Flemington markets at Homebush.

• Like 2

dadwasathome
3 minutes ago, seayork2002 said:

Yeah I hear Paddy's but that is not in the CBD so not sure how it all works

Paddy's is in Haymarket as well as Flemington. Maybe someone confused the two :)

seayork2002
Just now, dadwasathome said:

Paddy's is in Haymarket as well as Flemington. Maybe someone confused the two :)

I forgot about the haymarket one

Lunafreya

New restrictions on community sports. I think my camping trip just got cancelled 

dadwasathome
3 minutes ago, seayork2002 said:

I forgot about the haymarket one

I can only think that there may be concerns about stallholders working across both locations?

Teh other weird thing is that Haymarket is smack bang in the centre of CoS LGA

Ruf~Feral~es

I'm struggling today, and hating COVID - as we all are, I know.

Still waiting on my exemption from WA Govt so I can fly back to NSW to see my dad, who is still in ICU.  (I can fly there without a problem, but need permission to come back to WA).  

I've provided as many details as I can - evidence that I can self-isolate at home with my own bedroom and bathroom, letter from ICU saying my father is critically unwell.  I'm so worried that they will reject the application - I have nothing else to send to reapply, and there is no appeals process.  :( 

I am fully supportive of our hard borders and support McGowan completely,  but I also want to see Dad, just in case........   At least he's in Australia though - if he was overseas (or if I was) there would be no chance of seeing him.  So it's not all bad, I'm sure.  Just wish they would hurry up and process my application - this holding pattern is killing me.

• Sad 8

Riotproof
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

222 today Vic. I know it’s still a lot but for some reason this figure has me feeling more hopeful. 

(sadly another 17 deaths though 😥)

I guess the problem is while cases are relatively high, the likelihood of death is also higher. Sad though it is to say that. 

An American friend of mine cannot believe how we respond to even the smallest increase. She’s just posted a thing that says more people have died in the US from Covid than Americans died in ww1. 

Edited by Riotproof
  • Sad 7

lozoodle
6 minutes ago, Lunafreya said:

New restrictions on community sports. I think my camping trip just got cancelled 

Uh oh, what?

JRA
2 minutes ago, lozoodle said:

Uh oh, what?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-18/sydney-news-nsw-coronavirus-community-sport-rules-tightened/12566322

NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant has tightened the restrictions around community sport for the next six weeks.

Zone, regional, state championships or state-based competitions are banned to reduce "the mixing of participants and staff" between different regions of Sydney and regional areas.

Award ceremonies, end-of-season social gatherings and post-training group dinners are also banned.

Only one parent is permitted to watch team sport where a child requires parental supervision.

• Like 1

Lunafreya
Posted (edited)

Yeah, that 👆

My medieval sword fighting club does camping trips. We were hoping that we could do one on the long weekend but it looks like we won’t be able to 

I only JUST got authorised to fight in competitions before the lock down :( 

Edited by Lunafreya

lozoodle
Posted (edited)

Ahh ok thanks for that. Ok not too much impact right now, as gym comps already got canned last week anyway and the rest is within our local area. Still sucky though. Take away everything else, but sport is so important to the kids :( (and adults!)

Edited to add - i thought it was already 1 parent per kid to watch? Its how its been with soccer? Or maybe that's just a club rule?

Edited by lozoodle
  • Like 1

Fifteenyears
2 hours ago, lozoodle said:

Awful. Two of my kids are gymnasts so I understand how much this would sting. Time for a new club?!

Yes.  I cried buckets when I picked her up last night because I knew it would be the last time.  The girls and the coaches didn’t know at that point because the email went out during training.   It has been her second home for the last six years.  She has been with her coach for nearly four years now and some of the girls are like sisters.

A new gym will be a poor substitute, but better than no gym I guess.

• Sad 1

can'tstayaway
11 minutes ago, Ruf~Feral~es said:

I'm struggling today, and hating COVID - as we all are, I know.

Still waiting on my exemption from WA Govt so I can fly back to NSW to see my dad, who is still in ICU.  (I can fly there without a problem, but need permission to come back to WA).  

I've provided as many details as I can - evidence that I can self-isolate at home with my own bedroom and bathroom, letter from ICU saying my father is critically unwell.  I'm so worried that they will reject the application - I have nothing else to send to reapply, and there is no appeals process.  :( 

I am fully supportive of our hard borders and support McGowan completely,  but I also want to see Dad, just in case........   At least he's in Australia though - if he was overseas (or if I was) there would be no chance of seeing him.  So it's not all bad, I'm sure.  Just wish they would hurry up and process my application - this holding pattern is killing me.

No idea if it will help but maybe also contacting your local State MP to give another supportive voice to your application?

• Like 2

lozoodle
2 minutes ago, Fifteenyears said:

Yes.  I cried buckets when I picked her up last night because I knew it would be the last time.  The girls and the coaches didn’t know at that point because the email went out during training.   It has been her second home for the last six years.  She has been with her coach for nearly four years now and some of the girls are like sisters.

A new gym will be a poor substitute, but better than no gym I guess.

Yeah I totally get it, the thought of changing clubs is huge. I feel the same about our club, my nearly 10 year old has been going since she was a little 3 year old doing kindy gym. 
Your poor DD, I really feel for her :(

Lunafreya

I just effing HATE this year. It has been terrible for me.

I lost my job

My son was taken from me

I can’t do the things I love or see my friends 

And now I’m going to have to move out of my house 

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

Julie3Girls

So Sydney gets declared a hotspot, and the whole state gets increased restrictions ... 

lozoodle
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

So Sydney gets declared a hotspot, and the whole state gets increased restrictions ... 

and let's not forget the fact there is **** all cases anyway! 

3 cases in NSW in last 24 hours, one of which is in hotel quarantine anyway. I'm not saying let's not be careful, but come on...

Edited by lozoodle
  • Like 2

born.a.girl
53 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

I guess the problem is while cases are relatively high, the likelihood of death is also higher. Sad though it is to say that. 

An American friend of mine cannot believe how we respond to even the smallest increase. She’s just posted a thing that says more people have died in the US from Covid than Americans died in ww1. 

The seven day moving average for Vic is heading downwards, unfortunately the current deaths are exactly two weeks after our biggest daily number, which is what we were warned to prepare for.   On a day we had 4 x deaths, Brett Sutton said it was a blip and the numbers would definitely go up again.  

• Like 4

annodam
58 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

Yeah same, I was chatting to a friend from the US the other day.

She was gobsmacked at our restrictions.

She & her family even went on holidays as well to the shore in Ocean City, MD as well for 10 days!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

dadwasathome
10 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

The Sydney hotspot declaration still seems weird. I've seen other reporting suggesting its linked to the Potts Point restaurant cluster, but that doesn't seem to have grown for a while.

As for the numbers, active cases are about 0.003% of the population, and about 0.005% of Sydney's population. Unfortunately, due the virulence, until we decide a way to live with the virus, wide-ranging restrictions are it.

Julie3Girls
8 minutes ago, lozoodle said:

and let's not forget the fact there is **** all cases anyway! 

3 cases in NSW in last 24 hours, one of which is in hotel quarantine anyway. I'm not saying let's not be careful, but come on...

Wow, I hadn’t seen today’s numbers ... this does NOT make sense.  The things they are targeting don’t even make sense ... the spread has mostly been through restaurants, pubs and clubs.  So they target school graduations and community sport.  
i think I am having a bad day ... I can’t imagine how the people in Melbourne must feel ... at least there is a reason for their restrictions, and they can see the benefits as the massive numbers are coming down thank goodness. 

think I need a break from the internet .. just getting to me today.

• Like 3

lozoodle

I'm just confused by the timing of these new announcements, I'd love to know what fuelled them all given cases have been going downwards in recent days, not the contrary. If we still had numbers in the double figures then i'd be more understanding of the WHY.

I'm assuming that private school had something to do with the new rules coming out, its all i can think that makes the remotest bit of sense with these new school announcements coming through about some extra curricular things? 

But hey, let's keep the pokies open because money. 

• Like 3

Lunafreya

Bus drivers are threatening a strike if social distancing and masks aren’t enforced on buses

I think they should do what they do in Canberra and just use the rear door 

Julie3Girls
Just now, Lunafreya said:

Bus drivers are threatening a strike if social distancing and masks aren’t enforced on buses

I think they should do what they do in Canberra and just use the rear door 

See, if the govt is going to add restrictions and rules, mandatory masks on public transport is one that makes sense. I could understand that.

But, no, we’ll increase restrictions on outdoor sports for kids, and stop yr12 having a formal after they have been spending 5 days a week together at school (and you can still have a wedding with 150 people?)

• Like 14