Chelli

COVID-19 coronavirus thread #7

Romeo Void
Posted (edited)

oops

Edited by Romeo Void

Gumbette
Posted (edited)

Comparing an international travel ban due to a pandemic, with living in a communist country or in the case of North Korea a Dictatorship shows white privilege at it's finest.  It's absolutely galling and I'm furious.  It's no surprise that those speaking up because they're coming under pressure from their constituents are Zali Steggal & David Sharma who represent some of wealthiest households in NSW if not Australia.  I genuinely feel for those who can't attend funerals or leave to provide medical care for immediate family, but weddings?  The travel ban has been in place since March.  Plenty of time to reorganise a wedding.  17 people  died alone yesterday without a family member by their side.  17 people were unable to receive a final touch, a kiss or hug from their children or grandchildren, instead they had to be tended to by nurses who shouldn't have to carry this burden on top of risking their lives to look after us.  

"Zali Steggall said she found it difficult to understand the justification for the continuation of the outward-bound restrictions.

It puts us on par with North Korea, in terms of, are we now a prison state, that unless you can justify yourself to the department, you cannot leave the country?" Ms Steggall said. "Even in times of war, we don't have that kind of restriction so it does seem a little extreme."

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/on-par-with-north-korea-three-out-of-four-requests-to-leave-australia-refused-20200814-p55luj.html

Edited by Gumbette
  • Like 14
  • Sad 1

lazycritter
Posted (edited)

White privilege at its best. 

Maybe she should go and live in North Korea to see what it's really like. 

Stupid stupid stupid. 

And in times of war?  Do you really think commercial planes would be flying if world war 3 broke out?  

Has she forgotten 9/11?

Edited by lazycritter
Added more
  • Like 11

Gumbette
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, lazycritter said:

Maybe she should go and live in North Korea to see what it's really like. 

Stupid stupid stupid. 

That’s what made my blood boil.  My family grew up in Communist China.  Wasn’t unusual to see your school friends dead from starvation on the side of the road as you were walking to school during the height of the great famine, and I can only imagine how much worse it is in North Korea. 

Edited by Gumbette
  • Sad 11

rob^2
21 hours ago, The Little Engine said:

Ok I have a very strange qn.  As an asthmatic I have had breathing issues (and a cough) for months (I had one negative test before I went back into the classroom back in Late May)
The last few days it has changed slightly - more restriction feeling in my chest and the sore throat I often get from the asthma medication is worse.  I have had a slight fever on and off now too...
I am in Regional Vic (so stage 3) and really haven't been anywhere for almost 2 weeks - but if I still have symptoms on Mon I should go and get tested so I know for sure.
The issue is the closest testing point is around 30 min drive each way - I will need to get petrol to make it.  Can I do that? If so how??  If my symptoms are infact covid then I don't want to put anyone else at risk....
Best suggestions?   

I'm sure that my symptoms are something else - but if I want to do the correct thing and get tested what is the correct protocol?  Can I buy petrol and just tap my card and get in and out as fast as possible?  

**Edit - There is nowhere to get tested until Mon so I couldn't get tested before then anyway

Can you get a family member, friend or neighbour to drop a jerry can of fuel at your home?

or if you haven’t used your car for a few days (since you could possibly be sick) you could get someone to fill it up at a petrol station for you.

blimkybill

Some positive numbers today are something to feel hopeful about. 

247 net new cases in Vic... trend is down nicely.

The number of active cases has passed its peak and is now dropping. 

The number of people in hospital appears to have peaked (not quite dropping yet)

NSW is doing really well. Only 5 new cases today. And the contract tracers have worked their magic, there are no more "mystery cases" than there were a week ago. 

Great work to everyone involved in the test and trace effort in both states. 

• Like 7

Romeo Void
1 hour ago, Gumbette said:

That’s what made my blood boil.  My family grew up in Communist China.  Wasn’t unusual to see your school friends dead from starvation on the side of the road as you were walking to school during the height of the great famine, and I can only imagine how much worse it is in North Korea. 

My mother remembers flesh being sold in her village, from questionable sources.  She's not 100% sure, but she believes it was human flesh.  People starved.  She found a baby exposed wrapped in cloth on a mountainside during the spring thaw.  

• Sad 9

purplekitty

• Like 6

Lees75
17 hours ago, purplekitty said:

It’s not really an accurate stat, though, given only 10% of Aged care beds in Vic are state owned and most of these are regional, rather than in Melbourne city.

• Like 3

born.a.girl
16 minutes ago, Lees75 said:

It’s not really an accurate stat, though, given only 10% of Aged care beds in Vic are state owned and most of these are regional, rather than in Melbourne city.

Yes, the ABC I think had an article on this.  I was surprised to see the percentage of state owned homes because when I was looking, none of them were, and I looked at anything with a vacancy within a reasonable distance, regardless of who owned it.

Turns out most are in the country, and in fact are far more likely than city ones to have shared rooms, etc, being of an older vintage.  It's just that Covid hasn't hit there to anything like the same extent, so it hasn't got into aged care.  I would also suspect that there is less movement of staff across homes in the country, given some will be the only one for miles around.

It's a bit like the 'we are the second worst in the world with 68% of deaths in aged care' figure, which is nonsense in isolation. The UK has lost something like 20,000 from aged care - to be comparable we would need something like 7,000, yet were 'worse' with 200 ish.  Lies, lies and damned statistics.

• Like 1

Kreme

My daughter’s Sydney high school recorded a positive case over the weekend. A student was infected by their parent, who tested positive late last week. And ABC News this morning was describing it as a “cluster” at the school FFS! The student has a sibling at the school so if they also test positive I hope the media gets the facts straight before panicking people unnecessarily  

The school is closed for cleaning today and the close contacts have already been contacted by NSW Health, which is impressive for a weekend diagnosis. Unfortunately DD came down with a cold yesterday so she’s getting tested today so I don’t expect she will be back at school til late in the week. 

• Like 2

JRA
6 minutes ago, Kreme said:

My daughter’s Sydney high school recorded a positive case over the weekend. A student was infected by their parent, who tested positive late last week. And ABC News this morning was describing it as a “cluster” at the school FFS! The student has a sibling at the school so if they also test positive I hope the media gets the facts straight before panicking people unnecessarily  

The school is closed for cleaning today and the close contacts have already been contacted by NSW Health, which is impressive for a weekend diagnosis. Unfortunately DD came down with a cold yesterday so she’s getting tested today so I don’t expect she will be back at school til late in the week. 

Not to mention the headline on ABC is "Exams delayed at Sydney High school", but then you read the article, it is practice exams

onetrick

Omg- @Kreme our school (vic) was shut for 3 weeks for contact tracing. It was a nightmare! We had to wait for close contacts to test negative. Then if there was a positive it  would have all started again. I cant believe it's all done in a weekend, but mostly I'm jealous! 

Julie3Girls
18 minutes ago, JRA said:

Not to mention the headline on ABC is "Exams delayed at Sydney High school", but then you read the article, it is practice exams

The trial hsc exams are still important, they are a major component of the school assessment mark for the hsc. Which is used as part of the overal hsc Mark.  Plus, as a large part of the assessment mark, it affects your rank with in your own school cohort for your subjects, which also has an impact on your hsc mark.

so, having to delay them is still a big deal. Particularly if any of the yr 12 kids are close contacts and have to isolate for 14 days.

• Like 4

Kreme
59 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

The trial hsc exams are still important, they are a major component of the school assessment mark for the hsc. Which is used as part of the overal hsc Mark.  Plus, as a large part of the assessment mark, it affects your rank with in your own school cohort for your subjects, which also has an impact on your hsc mark.

so, having to delay them is still a big deal. Particularly if any of the yr 12 kids are close contacts and have to isolate for 14 days.

It’s a year 11 student but we have a large number of accelerated students at the school so they potentially could be in contact with students from yr 9-12. And yes, trial HSC exams are much more significant than just practice tests. The students were only notified yesterday afternoon that today’s exam was off. No news yet on whether the school will reopen tomorrow. Of course it’s a small issue in the scheme of things but many parents are now anxious and that’s not what you need when you’re about to take exams. Because there is a sibling who is also showing symptoms nobody is quite sure what will happen.

dadwasathome
49 minutes ago, Kreme said:

It’s a year 11 student but we have a large number of accelerated students at the school so they potentially could be in contact with students from yr 9-12. And yes, trial HSC exams are much more significant than just practice tests. The students were only notified yesterday afternoon that today’s exam was off. No news yet on whether the school will reopen tomorrow. Of course it’s a small issue in the scheme of things but many parents are now anxious and that’s not what you need when you’re about to take exams. Because there is a sibling who is also showing symptoms nobody is quite sure what will happen.

I'm interested in the timing of the trials in NSW, which are clearly different dates at different schools). DS17's school finished last week (and had a lockdown the week before their trials), but I've heard of at least a couple of schools (incl SGHS) that are still going. At DS's school, the student themselves hasn't contracted the virus, but has bene in isolation across the trials.

DS17 had his last trial exam last Thursday and first HSC exam on Saturday.

Julie3Girls
25 minutes ago, dadwasathome said:

I'm interested in the timing of the trials in NSW, which are clearly different dates at different schools). DS17's school finished last week (and had a lockdown the week before their trials), but I've heard of at least a couple of schools (incl SGHS) that are still going. At DS's school, the student themselves hasn't contracted the virus, but has bene in isolation across the trials.

DS17 had his last trial exam last Thursday and first HSC exam on Saturday.

The trial hsc are school assessment exams. The exams are set by the school, and they are done at whatever timing the individual schools choose.  They obviously fall into around the same time frame - around half way through term3 as this is the final term for yr12, exams need to be marked, grades finalised by the end of term.

Our public high school started the written trial exams this week,  other subjects with practical exams have already been done - music was last week for example, dance a few weeks ago.

The actual HSC exams occur at the same time across the state. The first written hsc exam is on October 20th.  Practical exams, such as dance, drama, music, hold their practical hsc exams earlier. And you have dates for submission of physical works (art, woodwork etc)

• Like 2

can'tstayaway
On 15/08/2020 at 7:07 PM, Soontobegran said:

I agree with you but I am annoyed with some of the instant assumptions that it must be us. It may well be but best to not point fingers until they know.

I don’t think the assumption is that it was caused by us. The NZ Director General of Health said that it was a small possibility but that they are being thorough and looking into every potential lead. They haven’t come out and accused us of giving them Covid. 

The boss of the company said they hadn’t shipped anything directly from Melbourne to that site but they have four sites in Auckland. It doesn’t mean freight originating from Melbourne hasn’t eventually ended up at that site. Or maybe freight from elsewhere in the world, since they are a global freight shipping company, has ended up in both Melbourne and Auckland. 

The point is, we don’t know and the logical thing for NZ to do, is to perform an exhaustive investigation which is what they are doing.  The results will be interesting. 

Julie3Girls
Posted (edited)

Bit sad that NSW is doing blanket state wide restrictions again .. banning yr12 formals, and graduations, regardless of numbers.  I mean, you can have a 150 at a wedding or a corporate function, but you can’t hold a school formal? Or a graduation assembly with parents in attendance (no matter how small your group or how big the location). With no recognition of the vast areas in nsw with zero community transmission, or any cases. 

Hopefully things will ease up later in the year, and the year 12 can still mark their graduation.

Edited by Julie3Girls
  • Sad 4

dadwasathome
Just now, Julie3Girls said:

Bit sad that NSW is doing blanket state wide restrictions again .. banning yr12 formals, and graduations, regardless of numbers.  I mean, you can have a 150 at a wedding or a corporate function, but you can’t hold a school formal? Or a graduation assembly with parents in attendance (no matter how small your group or how big the location).  Hopefully things will ease up later in the year, and the year 12 can still mark their graduation.

DS17's formal is scheduled for November (I think), so there is aperhaps a bit of a wait and see for him. There are already so many disappointments, I hope people can work through it. The biggest one for DS so far has been music - the school program usually has a big concert in June and farewell for the yr12s. After starting yr7 it has bene at the core of DS's school experience, but has unfrotunately had to dribble away.

I'm still unconvinced regarding the new NSW guidelines banning group woodwind gatherings after things have been back in full swing for at almost a month for DS12. Perhaps the Tangara cluster spread vai band?

• Sad 1

Jersey Caramel
5 minutes ago, dadwasathome said:

I'm still unconvinced regarding the new NSW guidelines banning group woodwind gatherings after things have been back in full swing for at almost a month for DS12. Perhaps the Tangara cluster spread vai band?

I think maybe there was group singing at the religious retreat... so then if you ban group singing you probably have to do the same for wind instruments.  And just to be pedantic,  the ban is on all wind instruments (not just woodwind as the SMH keeps reporting) - so brass as well. My kids play brass instruments and band has been put on hold again. 

Definitely really feeling for the year 12s though,  what a crappy year to finish off their school life.  :(

• Sad 2

Julie3Girls
2 minutes ago, dadwasathome said:

DS17's formal is scheduled for November (I think), so there is aperhaps a bit of a wait and see for him. There are already so many disappointments, I hope people can work through it. The biggest one for DS so far has been music - the school program usually has a big concert in June and farewell for the yr12s. After starting yr7 it has bene at the core of DS's school experience, but has unfrotunately had to dribble away.

The kids doing performing arts have taken a big hit. We have a big CAPA department at our school, with a lot of dance, music and drama. They have lost all their performances this year, including the big one in June which is the final performance for the yr12 kids.  Like your son, the kids still involved in yr12 are usually the ones whose school lives (And out of school), centre around dance/music. 
The big interstate capa tour has been cancelled - the last one for the yr11 kids. 
The school has told the CAPA kids in yr12 that they are allowed to come back for the final end of year Capa Night this year - not until December, so hoping it might happen. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne

I feel sorry for the Year 12 students, but increasingly I am starting to feel even more sorry for the Year 11 students. This pandemic could well impact their entire senior schooling, not just their final year.

• Sad 8

purplekitty
4 hours ago, Lees75 said:

That is absolutely true, I posted before in this thread(or one of the others) about the actual percentages I think.

I'm not aware of the details of the 5 cases.

One of the issues is transparency and getting information.The Fed.Gov. has actively suppressed information about the outbreaks in privately managed homes.

What I'd like to see is an acknowledgement and an assumption of responsibility from the Fed, Gov. and their ownership of Aged Care.

Then I'd like to see  plan for the future because they didn't have one for this pandemic, even after aged care experts were begging them to as late as March/April.

Since the privatisation of services(I am loathe to call it an industry) by John Howard the abuse and cruel treatment of the elderly has been endemic to the system.

The RSPCA has higher standards.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1