Chelli

COVID-19 coronavirus thread #7

Romeo Void

Oh wow....that's interesting isn't it!

Soontobegran
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, purplekitty said:

So what about the weeks of saturation news that a security guard slept with someone in quarantine and was the sole cause of the outbreak?

Journalists and the media need to offer a few apologies and corrections.

They have been behaving like employees of the National Enquirer, I'm surprised there weren't alien babies involved.

Investigation before publishing was a thing once.

Were they ever named as the sole cause?  I am not sure about that but what was apparent that there were behaviours that could very well have caused the outbreak, their behaviour can not just be excused.

Still it is a moot point until we get the result of the enquiry. 

Edited by Soontobegran
  • Like 1

Soontobegran
45 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Fortunately another member of the group had a friend who was a nurse at the 'hot hotel' and had said that just about everything we were hearing was no more than rumour, and scuttlebuck. 

I can counter that anecdote with information from someone who is very much more informed than a nurse in a hot hotel. The numbers of dodgy workers was low however those who were did a great job of being dodgy. When we are talking about security guards sleeping with guests it is interesting that people presume the guards were all men.

I am certainly not someone who wants the security companies and their workers lumped together as the cause and I have always said that but I also think there is a need to acknowledge that all was not well with all of them.

Aside from my information there have been several whistle blowers who have risked so much reporting what happened. We can not discount their stories.

purplekitty
18 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

Were they ever named as the sole cause?  I am not sure about that but what was apparent that there were behaviours that could very well have caused the outbreak, their behaviour can not just be excused.

Still it is a moot point until we get the result of the enquiry. 

The media frenzy certainly made it seem so as did the targeted questioning of DA.

I look forward to the outcome of the enquiry as well, failures and causes are often more complicated ,nuanced and uncertain than people would like.

It was an unprecedented and tumultuous time with decisions having to be made quickly and the consequences far-reaching.

Much of the work practices and dodgyness in employment that companies and we as a larger society get away with have been highlighted as a problem with COVID.

• Like 7

born.a.girl
16 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

I can counter that anecdote with information from someone who is very much more informed than a nurse in a hot hotel. The numbers of dodgy workers was low however those who were did a great job of being dodgy. When we are talking about security guards sleeping with guests it is interesting that people presume the guards were all men.

I am certainly not someone who wants the security companies and their workers lumped together as the cause and I have always said that but I also think there is a need to acknowledge that all was not well with all of them.

Aside from my information there have been several whistle blowers who have risked so much reporting what happened. We can not discount their stories.

I consider someone working on the site to be well informed.

I've frequently wondered if it was a quarantine guest paying a guard for their 'services' be the guard male or female, if the rumour was true.

I'm not discounting any stories, I've simply said that 'much of what we are hearing is innuendo and scuttlebuck', i.e. that one security guard had sex with six women, along with various other wild rumours.

That doesn't mean the issues didn't happen, it means ALL the rumours didn't happen.

purplekitty

TRIGGER WARNING.

• Sad 9

Soontobegran
4 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

I consider someone working on the site to be well informed.

I've frequently wondered if it was a quarantine guest paying a guard for their 'services' be the guard male or female, if the rumour was true.

I'm not discounting any stories, I've simply said that 'much of what we are hearing is innuendo and scuttlebuck', i.e. that one security guard had sex with six women, along with various other wild rumours.

That doesn't mean the issues didn't happen, it means ALL the rumours didn't happen.

I'd not heard those rumours so rumours are obviously specific to different groups.

How do you know that my information was not from someone working on site or actually working in the investigation of the claims?

born.a.girl
Just now, Soontobegran said:

I'd not heard those rumours so rumours are obviously specific to different groups.

How do you know that my information was not from someone working on site or actually working in the investigation of the claims?

I didn't say it wasn't, I simply said that this information came from someone working on site.

• Like 1

YodaTheWrinkledOne
Just now, born.a.girl said:

I didn't say it wasn't, I simply said that this information came from someone working on site.

Someone working on site may not know anything more than what they see, what they have been told, which may not be the full picture.  Very easy for people to only know part of a story, even when they work at the place.

• Like 1

Soontobegran
1 minute ago, born.a.girl said:

It's all he said/she said until the results of the enquiry.

Truce.

• Like 2

born.a.girl
Just now, YodaTheWrinkledOne said:

Someone working on site may not know anything more than what they see, what they have been told, which may not be the full picture.  Very easy for people to only know part of a story, even when they work at the place.

For sure, but like all of the 'I have it on good authority' stories here about level 4 the first time, then the restrictions when it did come in, I'll take the official information.

My comment was refuting the ABSOLUTE TRUTH of someone repeating a rumour as though it was fact, and someone who worked on site saying MANY of the rumours (not all) were just that.

It's inevitable that in a situation like that, rumours are going to circulate and be spread gleefully by certain publications.

I've not got much interest in anything except the official sources.

• Like 1

Soontobegran
8 minutes ago, purplekitty said:

TRIGGER WARNING.

I've got nothing. :(

born.a.girl
2 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

It's all he said/she said until the results of the enquiry.

Truce.

Absolutely.

I've probably moved from my original point too, which was really that there were outrageous rumours doing the rounds, and it is highly likely than many of them are no more than that.

I should have clarified that I didn't doubt many things that were hinted at DID go on - no smoke without fire.

• Like 2

got my tinsel on
2 hours ago, purplekitty said:

If Dan Andrews doesn't want to make a bid for federal parliament, I'd be happy for Andrew Probyn to give it a go.

• Like 4

purplekitty

• Sad 3

The Little Engine
Posted (edited)

Ok I have a very strange qn.  As an asthmatic I have had breathing issues (and a cough) for months (I had one negative test before I went back into the classroom back in Late May)
The last few days it has changed slightly - more restriction feeling in my chest and the sore throat I often get from the asthma medication is worse.  I have had a slight fever on and off now too...
I am in Regional Vic (so stage 3) and really haven't been anywhere for almost 2 weeks - but if I still have symptoms on Mon I should go and get tested so I know for sure.
The issue is the closest testing point is around 30 min drive each way - I will need to get petrol to make it.  Can I do that? If so how??  If my symptoms are infact covid then I don't want to put anyone else at risk....
Best suggestions?   

I'm sure that my symptoms are something else - but if I want to do the correct thing and get tested what is the correct protocol?  Can I buy petrol and just tap my card and get in and out as fast as possible?  

**Edit - There is nowhere to get tested until Mon so I couldn't get tested before then anyway

Edited by The Little Engine

IamzFeralz

Can you wear a mask when you go to get the petrol?  Also some pumps allow you to pre-pay without going inside .  You could sanitise your hands before and after touching the pump.

They really want people to go and get tested so they can address any clusters in areas that they don’t know about.

I got tested again recently and then while self isolating my DS developed a cold too.  I rang the Covid help line to ask if I could leave the house to take him for testing and they they said it was fine but to wear a mask, go straight there and straight back.  I would also call the helpline to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

Ruf~Feral~es

Does any one know the process of flying into NSW from interstate?  I"m trying to find out if I need to apply for a permit or special approval or anything , and what the process is.  All the websites I'm looking at are sending me in circles back to previous pages.  There is lots about the border closure to VIC, but I can't find anything for travel from WA.

My dad is in hospital and has taken a turn for the worse - back in ICU.  I'm investigating what I need to do, and whether I need a letter from the hospital or anything to prove compassionate grounds.  I've already applied for a permit to return to WA, just in case I need to head over to Sydney.  Flights are easy enough.  I'm just struggling to find information about entry.  I don't think I need to quarantine on arrival, although I will have to when I come back to WA.  

Any ideas?

• Sad 1

PocketIcikleflakes

9 minutes ago, Ruf~Feral~es said:

Does any one know the process of flying into NSW from interstate?  I"m trying to find out if I need to apply for a permit or special approval or anything , and what the process is.  All the websites I'm looking at are sending me in circles back to previous pages.  There is lots about the border closure to VIC, but I can't find anything for travel from WA.

My dad is in hospital and has taken a turn for the worse - back in ICU.  I'm investigating what I need to do, and whether I need a letter from the hospital or anything to prove compassionate grounds.  I've already applied for a permit to return to WA, just in case I need to head over to Sydney.  Flights are easy enough.  I'm just struggling to find information about entry.  I don't think I need to quarantine on arrival, although I will have to when I come back to WA.  

Any ideas?

I don't think you need permits or anything to fly over. DP didn't when he flew for work. But call the COVID helpline, they should be able to help you.

He was over there when the new regulations for returning from NSW to WA came in and is now stuck. He cannot return home. So I think it's very wise that you've applied already, ready for your return. I'd hope you get granted due to your circumstances.

I'm sorry that your Dad is so unwell. I hope he improves and that you are able to get over there.

• Like 1

Julie3Girls

The only border NSW closed is the one with Victoria, so that would be the only one you would need forms/permissions for.  All the other borders are open for coming into NSW. 

Returning to WA would be the one you need to look into.

Soontobegran
1 hour ago, IamzFeralz said:

There has not been anything shipped from ours to theirs. Honestly it feels a bit like they are looking for a scapegoat.

IamzFeralz
14 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

There has not been anything shipped from ours to theirs. Honestly it feels a bit like they are looking for a scapegoat.

I think it’s fair to try and look at all avenues so that they can close off the source entry point as part of their elimination strategy.  Apparently they haven’t been able to track it back to anyone that was quarantined nor to the strains that were circulating prior to the first elimination.  So obviously it must be some other more recent border breach that they are not aware of.  Apparently everyone that has tested positive so far belongs to the same cluster so it would appear that it happened not long ago.

I am really interested to see how this works out.  If they handle it well then it would resolve some of my doubts about the elimination strategy.  It is obviously an extremely stealthy virus though.

• Like 4

No Drama Please
On 14/08/2020 at 1:34 PM, Etta said:

I didn't know anything about him until I heard him on ABC RN last night. I missed the very beginning of the interview but then I realised that he had just received this info as a leak from a journalist and was sharing this info with an international audience before he had even shared it with Jacinda, much less his own country! Everything he said and how he said it was really really odd. He seemed a very strange person to have as Deputy PM. I was second guessing myself thinking he was in opposition - no, Deputy PM is on the same side as Jacinda. Wow - some really weird vibes there. That is another feather in her cap - leading her country with him as her deputy. She is even more amazing than we already knew.

Winston founded NZ First party back in the 90s which was a lovely blend of anti-immigration, anti-same sex marriage propaganda. I haven’t lived in NZ for probably 30 years but I was also pretty surprised to find out who her DP was. My thinking it’s probably to get conservative voters on your side when you want to get in. But yes, she’s definitely amazing taking that on.

• Like 2

Soontobegran
26 minutes ago, IamzFeralz said:

I think it’s fair to try and look at all avenues so that they can close off the source entry point as part of their elimination strategy.  Apparently they haven’t been able to track it back to anyone that was quarantined nor to the strains that were circulating prior to the first elimination.  So obviously it must be some other more recent border breach that they are not aware of.  Apparently everyone that has tested positive so far belongs to the same cluster so it would appear that it happened not long ago.

I am really interested to see how this works out.  If they handle it well then it would resolve some of my doubts about the elimination strategy.  It is obviously an extremely stealthy virus though.

I agree with you but I am annoyed with some of the instant assumptions that it must be us. It may well be but best to not point fingers until they know.

• Like 2