Chelli

COVID-19 coronavirus thread #7

can'tstayaway
4 minutes ago, Lucrezia Bauble said:

the NZ cases are truly bizarre - could it be that they never actually eradicated it but it was there all along, bubbling away among non symptomatic people until it got someone who came down with symptoms?

Im sure NZ are doing everything they can to find the source of the current cases and to prevent its further spread.  

I doubt that Covid has been bubbling away for this long with no other cases detected.  They have maintained their testing and with the relaxed restrictions, if there was a case active in the community, we would be seeing a lot more people infected and statistically, there would be enough that would be showing symptoms.

They never claimed that they had eradicated Covid19. They had achieved elimination. This is a quote from Adern:

"When I talk about elimination it does not mean zero cases, it means zero tolerance for cases," she said. "The idea of Covid being completely gone, that is eradication - so there are important differences there.
  • Like 8

YodaTheWrinkledOne
26 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

I think that seems to be the thing Nsw is doing really well, the tracing. 
I imagine once you get to higher numbers, it is just that much more difficult to try and track the source for each case. 

I understand that NSW Health has trained more than 150 new contact tracers over the past month, ready to deployed according to whatever is going on with cases. 

• Like 2

Ernegirl
4 hours ago, Soontobegran said:

One thing I have learned about Daniel Andrews is that he is unlikely to lie. I am not sure about anyone else but I think the man is a decent and honest person and if he says he was not personally consulted about having the ADF then he wasn't.

I watch with interest.

I agree STBG, over the past few weeks, his resolution and most of all his integrity in owning mistakes have really impressed me. That is a rarity amongst politicians.

• Like 14

IamzFeralz

I noticed in the photos of the NZ shoppers that they were stockpiling toilet paper too.  So, not just Australians!

Hoping they are able to get to the bottom of the cause of this outbreak because it potentially has lessons for the rest of us even after we apparently get cases back to close to zero.  

seayork2002

I thought this at the start of the year but I only thought of it again now but the world is trying to a get a vaccine, each country is doing different things to stop it spreading , getting rid of it etc.

But what is being done to stop this kind of virus reaching the world like this again?

Riotproof
1 minute ago, seayork2002 said:

I thought this at the start of the year but I only thought of it again now but the world is trying to a get a vaccine, each country is doing different things to stop it spreading , getting rid of it etc.

But what is being done to stop this kind of virus reaching the world like this again?

What can be done? 

We can’t control how viruses mutate across species. We could keep washing our hands. I’m a big fan of that. 

• Like 6

seayork2002

Although DH & I have not been doing too much to put our details down in many places we mentioned to each other this morning about I wonder what the contact tracers will say if they call (a passing comment if we thought long enough yes we could work it out) but no one we know has been called

Has anyone on here been called? (sorry it someone has said I am finding it hard to keep track of what is said on what virus thread)

Ruf~Feral~es

I'm not sure about the obsession with the ADF.  WA has had hotel quarantine and no lapses with no ADF.  They only came into the state to 'help' In WA  at the beginning of August - a few weeks ago.  Until then, and even now, we continue to use private security firms.

And I totally lost faith in Brendan Murphy right at the begining, when he wouldn't even say that we shouldn't be shaking hands until Scomo said it first.  Pathetic from the very begining.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Lucrezia Bauble
7 minutes ago, seayork2002 said:

Although DH & I have not been doing too much to put our details down in many places we mentioned to each other this morning about I wonder what the contact tracers will say if they call (a passing comment if we thought long enough yes we could work it out) but no one we know has been called

Has anyone on here been called? (sorry it someone has said I am finding it hard to keep track of what is said on what virus thread)

yeh it’s interesting. i reckon i would be a contact tracer’s dream! “left the house, on foot, to drop child off to x school, on way back went to Bakers Delight, IGA and x cafe for a take away coffee. went home. wore mask. spoke to relevant people behind counter at all listed shops. spoke to no one at school drop off (oh fabulous day!)left home to pick up child from school. went directly home. didn’t leave the house again. spoke to no one except child. wore mask. “

but i do wonder if in some (not all) instances if people aren’t exactly giving full and frank disclosure to the contact tracers? there will be genuine mistakes, when you genuinely forgot you went somewhere or spoke to someone, but i think there are definitely instances where the tracers aren’t getting the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. it’s a tough job. 

• Like 7

seayork2002
5 minutes ago, Lucrezia Bauble said:

yeh it’s interesting. i reckon i would be a contact tracer’s dream! “left the house, on foot, to drop child off to x school, on way back went to Bakers Delight, IGA and x cafe for a take away coffee. went home. wore mask. spoke to relevant people behind counter at all listed shops. spoke to no one at school drop off (oh fabulous day!)left home to pick up child from school. went directly home. didn’t leave the house again. spoke to no one except child. wore mask. “

but i do wonder if in some (not all) instances if people aren’t exactly giving full and frank disclosure to the contact tracers? there will be genuine mistakes, when you genuinely forgot you went somewhere or spoke to someone, but i think there are definitely instances where the tracers aren’t getting the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. it’s a tough job. 

For us it will either be like one of my many crime novel interrogations I read about that I am afraid of being in 'she was acting shifty so not sure she was telling the truth' I cannot remember what I have for breakfast half the time let alone what I did at the weekend

or DH or I in the background while the other in on the phone

'you said you went X then Y but you forgot we went to Z in between' 

'no we didn't I remember'

'DAD!!!! when are we going on the PlayStation you promised'

'yes we did' etc. 

we would either make very good or hopeless spies

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Romeo Void

" Prof Joseph Ibrahim highlighted Australia’s death rate in residential aged care – now the second-worst in the world.."

• Sad 8

Lucrezia Bauble

god, how awful. is Sweden the worst? 

Lou-bags
33 minutes ago, seayork2002 said:

Research into emerging infectious diseases is a whole field of research, people. 

There is research looking into how best to respond to a novel pathogen from a public health perspective; research into the impact of climate change, habitat destruction etc on the likelihood of new pathogens emerging. There are people who spend their entire research career surveying viruses in wild and domestic animal populations (like bats, birds etc), searching for evidence of mutations that may allow these pathogens to jump species and so on.

What we NEED is for their to be a political will to invest in these types of investigations. Not morons like Trump defunding entire organisations doing these exact things. Or governments like those in Australia who defund CSIRO, let funding into research more broadly flounder such at 90% of the ideas of our most highly trained scientists get filed away as "Past Unsuccessful Grant Applications". 

<end rant>

• Like 33

can'tstayaway

@Lou-bags  I need a fervently agree emoji

• Like 5

Baily
On 12/08/2020 at 12:46 PM, Kavity1 said:

NZ laws allow for anything package there to be labeled as from NZ.

That’s exactly why I stopped buying any food from NZ.  

• Like 3

Fifteenyears
51 minutes ago, Riotproof said:

What can be done? 

We can’t control how viruses mutate across species. We could keep washing our hands. I’m a big fan of that. 

They say habitat destruction and humans encroaching on wildlife will make this sort of thing more prevalent.

So if we acted seriously on climate change, it might help with this too.

• Like 19

born.a.girl
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Baily said:

That’s exactly why I stopped buying any food from NZ.  

Yeah, I'm afraid it's true, and 'takes advantage' of the fact that most Australians would see 'product of New Zealand' as being as good as 'Made in Australia'.

Being obliged to buy alternative brands much more, lately, I resorted to two I hadn't bought for ages for various reasons.

The pasta sauce that used to be made totally from tomatoes grown in the Riverina, was now 'made in Australia from less than 10% Australian ingredients', and the same with the fresh orange juice that used to be Australian oranges.

Edited by born.a.girl
efs
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

born.a.girl
5 minutes ago, Fifteenyears said:

They say habitat destruction and humans encroaching on wildlife will make this sort of thing more prevalent.

So if we acted seriously on climate change, it might help with this too.

I've heard Brett Sutton talk about habitat destruction and environmental damage as being big contributors to the risk.

• Like 3

seayork2002
22 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

Research into emerging infectious diseases is a whole field of research, people. 

There is research looking into how best to respond to a novel pathogen from a public health perspective; research into the impact of climate change, habitat destruction etc on the likelihood of new pathogens emerging. There are people who spend their entire research career surveying viruses in wild and domestic animal populations (like bats, birds etc), searching for evidence of mutations that may allow these pathogens to jump species and so on.

What we NEED is for their to be a political will to invest in these types of investigations. Not morons like Trump defunding entire organisations doing these exact things. Or governments like those in Australia who defund CSIRO, let funding into research more broadly flounder such at 90% of the ideas of our most highly trained scientists get filed away as "Past Unsuccessful Grant Applications". 

<end rant>

I worded it badly but yes this is what I was thinking, also if you take all the money each country has spent on the virus and its effects and put it to good use would this help?

I have lots of little thoughts I can't put them together to make any sense!

• Like 1

seayork2002

When I was in the UK I can't remember the product but DH and I worked out (years ago) that there was a raw product that came from the uk must have been  sent to NZ to put into the finished item then shipped back to the Uk

it may have been NZ apples into a apple pie but it was at our local Tesco's I think or lamb or beef into to something I can't remember we had a few different food talks

• Like 1

Romeo Void
50 minutes ago, Lucrezia Bauble said:

god, how awful. is Sweden the worst? 

I don't know...I wondered if it might be the UK?

dadwasathome
19 minutes ago, Romeo Void said:

I don't know...I wondered if it might be the UK?

Canada according to Dr Ibrahim's statements

Romeo Void
2 minutes ago, dadwasathome said:

Canada according to Dr Ibrahim's statements

Oh right, I do remember they had similar issues to us.