gracie1978

I'm blaming Covid for our huge power bill

gracie1978

$1500 for three months 😱😱😱

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

rosie28

My god that’s huge! And yes, I think you can probably blame Covid. We’ve been using more power though not much given I’d be home with the baby anyway. Luckily we’ve also had more sunny days than usual and the solar is helping. 

• Like 1

SummerStar
Posted (edited)

Edited by SummerStar

got my tinsel on

Our power bills are normally between $500 - $700 per quarter.  Depending on the season.  Summer is usually a high $600s bill.  Summer before last, it arrived at almost $1200!  Strangely without doing anything different, last Summer was back down to high $600s.

TBH, I think power providers just make up the figures.

• Like 2

cardamom

I'm dreading the gas bill; our new place has ducted heating and much as I've tried to avoid using it it's just so cold, especially when home all the time. This will be our first-ever bill where we're actually using heating rather than living like poor uni students, so I'm bracing myself for a rude shock.

My baking rampage in the first lockdown definitely upped the power bill a bit - stupid enormous oven.

• Like 1

TheGreenSheep

I just checked on my app. Our electricity bill is forecast $1000 and that’s a monster for us. Bloody Covid working from home, homeschooling, and winter 😖 

Jenflea

Ours hasn't changed, our heater is on a timer and runs all day if we're home or not. I'm home a lot in the day or in and out, so it's easier to leave on between 5.30 am and 10.30 pm. 

Last electricity bill was $600 (we have solar hot water but it needs boosting in winter )

seayork2002

I just checked my most recent gas and electric and combined it is $340. I think it is not much different to the last one 

hills mum bec

The hill for the last quarter is usually around $900.  We got solar panels installed just as COVID restrictions started in March.  I was disappointed to see that our recent bill was still about $900 but with two extra adults home during the day all week when the house would normally be empty and the whole family staying home more every weekend I guess she should be grateful that it wasn’t a whole lot more.

BECZ
38 minutes ago, hills mum bec said:

The hill for the last quarter is usually around $900.  We got solar panels installed just as COVID restrictions started in March.  I was disappointed to see that our recent bill was still about $900 but with two extra adults home during the day all week when the house would normally be empty and the whole family staying home more every weekend I guess she should be grateful that it wasn’t a whole lot more.

‘The hill’  

I like what you did there!

We find a greater difference in our summer bill.  Mind you, lots of our panels are shaded by the trees next door in winter, so that doesn’t help, but even when the were more exposed, summer still showed a much greater difference.

• Like 1

blackcat20

Our gas bill is up on last year, even though I was home full time last winter. Working from home I tend to heat both stories of the house, but when I was on leave last year I’d only heat the lower level where I spent all my time with the baby.

IamOzgirl

Only positive thing to my current situation is that I'm not at home so reduced bills!! 

• Like 1

RichardParker

Our water bill will be a killer.  DS loves a shower or a bath, and it's often the only time he's not screaming at me, so I let him stay in there longer than is strictly necessary.  

• Like 1

-Emissary-

Yikes...that’s a huge bill. And I thought ours was ridiculous at $550 for the quarter. 

I did switch our hot water to controlled loading though. Cost $120 for AGL to put the seperate meter in but it has already saved us $30 a month so it’s been well worth it. 

maryanneK

Jeepers. Our last power bill was close to 700 and I nearly died. Normally closer to 300. Gas Hot water and ducted heating, so gas bill up a bit but not as bad as power.

coolbreeze
11 hours ago, cardamom said:

I'm dreading the gas bill; our new place has ducted heating and much as I've tried to avoid using it it's just so cold, especially when home all the time. This will be our first-ever bill where we're actually using heating rather than living like poor uni students, so I'm bracing myself for a rude shock.

My baking rampage in the first lockdown definitely upped the power bill a bit - stupid enormous oven.

Me too.

We just put fancy hydronic heating and while its lovely I am slightly nervous awaiting the gas bill.

Like you we have been shivering for years with substandard heat. so we will wait and see!

CB

gracie1978

Gas and water have stayed the same.

We have gone from no one home 9-5 and at least one day in the weekend to all of us home.  Plus an extra bedroom to heat for the babies and a spare room to heat all day as an office.

Normally at this time of year it's around $800.  For us it's heating our old house that's a killer.  We hardly use the dryer and all the lights are energy efficient.

Maybe we should get solar panels?

IamOzgirl
2 minutes ago, gracie1978 said:

Maybe we should get solar panels?

Definitely!! 

lozoodle

Holy sh*t! I was upset with just over $500. 😵

nom_de_plume

Ours is usually around $550 per quarter but we have no gas, so everything uses electricity.

Our bill is due in September and I think it will be more like $900.

We've gone from having no one home at least five days per week to having three kids remote learning (so three devices), plus me working from home.

bubskitkat
12 hours ago, RichardParker said:

Our water bill will be a killer.  DS loves a shower or a bath, and it's often the only time he's not screaming at me, so I let him stay in there longer than is strictly necessary.  

My asd son loves a bath. It calms him down so he can sleep. 

the electricity bill on my house is about $500 and I have 18 solar panels 

• Like 1

klr75
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, hills mum bec said:

In theory the power you are using during the day should be the power you are generating via your solar panels - so you shouldn't be drawing any or much power from the grid.  I would look into your billing rates to ensure what kind of billing tariffs you are getting charged.  Look at charges for TOU (time of use) metering, if you have a smart meter and ensure you are using any power before it goes back into the grid as the price you get these days is crap!!  Hope this make sense

Edit - TOU metering is not available in all areas, so you need to check what pricing tariffs are available in your network

Edited by klr75
  • Like 2

Hypnic Jerk

Our power is good because we put solar on the very week lockdown in victoria started the first time (planned and ordered long before).  But our gas consumption is right up.  DH working from home sitting down the whole day means he's getting cold so we've had the heater on a lot more than previously.

Etta

Our gas and electricity bill have gone down significantly. I think when I am at work, DP uses the heating a lot more. Now that I am home I am rugging up to WFH so I guess he feels that if it is okay for me it has to be okay for him. We only turn on the heating late afternoon.

The water bill also went down, especially when DC was schooling online as well. We just. didn't. shower 😄 

• Like 1

qak
21 hours ago, hills mum bec said:

Hmm - we have solar and are halfway through the quarter - our bill is standing at $56 (after a discount of $75) - so say $130 for 1/2 a quarter, or $260 for the quarter. Are you sure your solar is working properly?