Lunafreya

Child on bus squealing...should I say something?

Lunafreya
Posted (edited)

So I’m on a long haul bus to Canberra to see DS and there’s a small child two seats ahead of me. Usually chattering and laughing to herself which is okay.

But she keeps squealing, loud 😣

I find this very painful and I hope I don’t have to put up with it for three hours. Should I say something?

I actually stop DS from squealing in public for this very reason. Unless it’s like in a playground 

There is a guy between us, maybe I’ll just be quiet and he’ll say something for me.

And I don’t have my headphones 

EDIT: Yeah, I’m reconsidering this thread. Good thing I didn’t say anything 

Edited by Lunafreya
  • Like 1

22Fruitmincepies

No, don’t say anything. 

• Like 10

JRA

I am sure the parents/carer are aware the child is screaming, I am sure they wish the child wasn't screaming.

My first port of call is always "What am I wanting to achieve".  So what would you hope to achieve by speaking to the parents.

You stop your DS from screaming, you put something over his mouth to stop him, to keep him quiet.  Sorry, screaming child on bus being stopped from screaming always takes me back to the horror MASH episode.

• Like 10

rainycat

Very annoying but I would let this one go.

• Like 1

Lunafreya

Eh, it seems to be not much of a problem now the bus is going. I was just listening and thinking “Will I have to put up with this for three hours?”

• Like 1

Luci

As my Grandpa used to say "That will go down like a cast iron hang-glider"

• Like 4
  • Haha 17

GingerbreadWoman

Having been the parent of the squealing kid, please don’t say anything. I’m sure they are annoyed by it too and doing their best to distract the child. 

• Like 10

IamzFeralz

No, I would not say anything.   I would have brought the headphones because crying babies, squealing etc are a feature of public transport and it’s the nature of the beast.

• Like 6

José

When you say you stop your DS from squealing im wondering how?

The parent may well be trying. Sometimes, despite our best efforts, kids do things we would prefer they don't do. It can be hard to 'make' a child do or stop doing something.  

Lunafreya

I would say “Shhh!” And distract him when he was little and now he’s older I ask him to stop.

But we didn’t go on many long haul trips when he was very young  

RabbitHash

Of course not.

Not Escapin Xmas

It’s Ok to ask the question OP. And you’ve got a clear answer :)

• Like 7

Lunafreya

DS was and still is a good traveller. He just sits there and watches. I guess I was lucky.

• Like 4

JRA
6 minutes ago, Lunafreya said:

I would say “Shhh!” And distract him when he was little and now he’s older I ask him to stop.

But we didn’t go on many long haul trips when he was very young  

It is great for you that you had such a child that behaves exactly as you ask, when you ask.  Not everyone has that.

Some kids just get too excited, some well have various challenges that affect their behaviour or probably better said what they do/when. One thing I have learned from EB is to assume that the parent is doing their best and not all children are the same.

• Like 7

But seriously

As the parent of a child on the spectrum who squeals a lot and I have no way of making him understand it’s socially unacceptable - if you had said anything to me I would have told you exactly that. 

• Like 3

José
8 minutes ago, JRA said:

It is great for you that you had such a child that behaves exactly as you ask, when you ask.  Not everyone has that.

Some kids just get too excited, some well have various challenges that affect their behaviour or probably better said what they do/when. One thing I have learned from EB is to assume that the parent is doing their best and not all children are the same.

Yes!

Perhaps the child is excited and that's why they are squealing. 

Perhaps they are scared and that's the only way they know to communicate it.

Perhaps the parent asked them to be quiet and they are asserting some control/ independence! 

Perhaps many other things. 

Its not always as easy as saying 'sshh' and having child immediately comply. 

• Like 1

foom
50 minutes ago, Lunafreya said:

Eh, it seems to be not much of a problem now the bus is going. I was just listening and thinking “Will I have to put up with this for three hours?”

Glad to hear that. You must be a good way in to the trip by now. See if you can get some of those small foam earplugs from a chemist in case you get a snorer on the way home. I always pack a pair when travelling. 

Have a great time with DS. 

• Like 2

Cerridwen

No. Don't!

But! You get to see DS.

Yay! Really happy for you. Enjoy your time with him.

• Like 5

~Jolly_F~

Say nothing. 

But then I am past responding nicely to people having an opinion on my kids behaviour and what I should do about it, so now my reply is a simple **** off, I don’t even try to engage and explain anymore! 

• Like 1

Ozquoll

Yeah, don't say anything.

I know you know this, but some kids cannot just be quiet on request. My DS with ASD can be perfectly quiet out in public but is often (to my frustration) unable to stop his near-continuous talking when safely at home. My niece with ADHD has no volume control button whether at home or out and about. People have said some thoughtless or downright nasty stuff to my sister about my niece's noisiness, which she really can't help, annoying though that may be.

• Like 2

lucky 2

Thread closed per op request.

• Like 1