Sign in to follow this  
10YearsLater

Thank you present for PhD supervisor

10YearsLater
Posted (edited)

Ok brains trust. I’ve got my primary supervisor covered, it’s my co-supervisor that I’m stuck on. 

Male, late 40s/early 50s, not flashy or pretentious, environmentally conscious, incredibly smart, statistics professor. 

Wears interesting/quirky tshirts. If I went down that track, I’d want something ethically made. 

Not certain he drinks alcohol but probably. 

Will look to spend ~$100

Final thank you present as I’m officially done 🎉 

Edited by 10YearsLater
EFS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Lunagirl

Nothing immediately springs to mind, but congratulations on your PhD!

I gave you a trophy because I think it should mean 'congratulations', not thanks btw.

• Like 4

GingerbreadWoman

Firstly congratulations! finishing a PhD is a big achievement

I don’t have any brilliant ideas but I know someone who gave their supervisor (who was known to be a keen gardener) a potted fruit tree as a thank you. Your environmentally conscious description reminded me of that. Perhaps a nice indoor/office plant in an interesting pot?

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/821140370/mandelbrot-fractal-small-planter-pot?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=plant+pot+fractal&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/803573127/geometric-eco-friendly-modern-planter?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=plant+pot+fractal&ref=sr_gallery-1-3&organic_search_click=1&pro=1

Silverstreak

Congratulations, that is awesome!

Threadless T-shirts have some great designs.

ckmelb

How about an aeropress and some fair trade coffee beans? (assuming coffee drinker)

YodaTheWrinkledOne

gift voucher for a restaurant. 

Find out if he drinks (it probably wouldn't be that hard to find out). A couple of stats professors I know are really into really good whiskey, or high end shiraz wines,  when they can afford them. They have some serious wine collections!

RedBubble Nerd statistics tshirts

Zazzle statistics tshirts

10YearsLater

Thanks all. 
Great suggestions! 

Hon Lady Monteagle

I'll add: Congratulations on getting to the end and still being on good terms with your supervisors!

(Let's just say I never had to worry about thankyou presents...)

10YearsLater
6 hours ago, Hon Lady Monteagle said:

I'll add: Congratulations on getting to the end and still being on good terms with your supervisors!

(Let's just say I never had to worry about thankyou presents...)

Supervisors can make or break a research student. Mine were amazing. I fired my first one. 

Lou-bags

Congratulations! Oh what a feeling, hey?  

I gave my supervisor a copy of the Academia Obscura book, and wrote a message inside the cover. And some nerdy socks.

Didn't get anything for my co-sups because sadly one had died, and the other moved to industry and didn't have a great deal to do with much of the project in the end. I'll buy him a beer if he ever makes it back here for a visit. 

Silver Girl

Congratulations Dr 10YearsLater!

What about a really good quality pen, engraved with his name, eg Professor John Smith?

Rosepickles

Hugest congratulations! SUCH a huge achievement. Make sure you fully reflect on what a significant amount of dedication and time and effort it has taken to get you here.

I think there are some great suggestions here. I got one of my supervisors a hard copy special edition book from one of his favourite authors and wrote a message inside. 

Lalala4

DH has never been sad when a student has given him alcohol! We do keep the thank you cards because they’re nice to reread again sometimes on tough days. (Alcohol is easy to regift if yours doesn’t drink...)

Congratulations, that’s a wonderful achievement.