Jump to content
FeralZombieMum

Is it worth getting sewing machine serviced?

Recommended Posts

FeralZombieMum

I haven't touched my sewing machine in about 10 years.

 

Is it worth getting serviced, or will it have major issues because it hasn't been used for ages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
foom

If it is serviced it should be fine. Without a service it could have problems - some parts will need oiling / greasing. I have heard even machines that haven't been used for six months should be gradually brought up to speed without a lot of load and run at different speeds to get all the parts running properly.

But a machine of that age might be worth trading in and getting a new one with more features - depending on the machine and what it is used for. It's not the age alone - my main machine is probably 15 years old. But you might get more bang than for your buck trading in and getting new vs servicing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caitiri

I got my machine serviced last year Its around 20 years old.  It ran so much better after the service so I highly recommend it.  The guy who did it was a bit excited to see how good a condition it was in and told me not to bother buying new, which made me happy.  I use do basic sewing though no fancy stuff or quilting

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~LemonMyrtle~

some sewing machines are pretty user friendly.  You can open them yourself, and there are sometimes little arrows that point to where the oil goes.  You could just open it up, remove and fluff and gunk you see, add oil to anything moving, close it up again. 

Not sure about mroe modern machines though, no doubt, like modern cars, theyre harder to DIY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FeralZombieMum
9 minutes ago, foom said:

If it is serviced it should be fine. Without a service it could have problems - some parts will need oiling / greasing. I have heard even machines that haven't been used for six months should be gradually brought up to speed without a lot of load and run at different speeds to get all the parts running properly.

But a machine of that age might be worth trading in and getting a new one with more features - depending on the machine and what it is used for. It's not the age alone - my main machine is probably 15 years old. But you might get more bang than for your buck trading in and getting new vs servicing. 

I definitely plan on getting serviced before I use it. I stopped using it because DS would post things inside it - like coins! I didn't know about the need to bring it up to speed - thanks for that bit of information.

I'd love a better one - but it might sit there again for some time. ;)

1 minute ago, caitiri said:

I got my machine serviced last year Its around 20 years old.  It ran so much better after the service so I highly recommend it.  The guy who did it was a bit excited to see how good a condition it was in and told me not to bother buying new, which made me happy.  I use do basic sewing though no fancy stuff or quilting

I will be doing basic sewing - just face masks for my family. We're not in Melbourne, so it's not urgent, yet.

I guess if I made more and sold them, I could use that money to buy a better machine in the future. I have plenty of material, only outlay will be elastic and thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FeralZombieMum
Just now, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

some sewing machines are pretty user friendly.  You can open them yourself, and there are sometimes little arrows that point to where the oil goes.  You could just open it up, remove and fluff and gunk you see, add oil to anything moving, close it up again.

I did think about servicing it myself - but a service centre will know if it's aligned properly and has issues. Plus I want to support local business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
foom
7 minutes ago, FeralZombieMum said:

I guess if I made more and sold them, I could use that money to buy a better machine in the future. I have plenty of material, only outlay will be elastic and thread.

That sounds familiar.....  I'm just trying to recover some of my investment in fabric to spend on other craft stuff. And get some space back.

Space LOL. Since starting up a little craft business to downsize my stash, it seems to take up more space in the room. 

btw I'm happy for my DH  to service my 30 year old cam based sewing machine, but not my umpteen stitch and lettering computerised machine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seayork2002

Yes, I personally don't use a sewing machine but my dad used to service/fix old ones (mainly old singers)

Not sure about modern computer ones but the mechanics needed it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soontobegran

Mine is 25 years old and I have it serviced every 2 years. It was left without use for a fews years once and I had it serviced before I used it again. It has been worth the money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FeralZombieMum
19 minutes ago, foom said:

That sounds familiar.....  I'm just trying to recover some of my investment in fabric to spend on other craft stuff. And get some space back.

Space LOL. Since starting up a little craft business to downsize my stash, it seems to take up more space in the room.

:rofl:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
c4a79
Posted (edited)

My sewing machine is a 1972 model and I got it out in February and got it serviced after not using it for about 20 years.    I think it's worth it.  Sometimes the repairer might tell you it's not worth fixing as they might want to sell you a new one.  Ask around if anyone you know has a trusted servicer or on FB groups.

Edited by c4a79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DaLittleEd

Service it. The older machines tend to be metal (gears etc) and wear and last much better than the newer machines (plastic). My mum just gifted me her old machine (1976!) as she upgraded as she has gone into quilting in a big way. After a service the machine is running perfectly and is just right for what I need to do (mend some things mostly).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
9 hours ago, c4a79 said:

My sewing machine is a 1972 model and I got it out in February and got it serviced after not using it for about 20 years.    I think it's worth it.  Sometimes the repairer might tell you it's not worth fixing as they might want to sell you a new one.  Ask around if anyone you know has a trusted servicer or on FB groups.

 

7 hours ago, DaLittleEd said:

Service it. The older machines tend to be metal (gears etc) and wear and last much better than the newer machines (plastic). My mum just gifted me her old machine (1976!) as she upgraded as she has gone into quilting in a big way. After a service the machine is running perfectly and is just right for what I need to do (mend some things mostly).

Very similar here - put my 21st birthday money towards a Singer, in 1973, and it sat there for a very, very long time without use - didn't even have room for a dining table in our last house, much less a sewing table.  Took it to a repair place and he was actually delighted to be repairing such a repairable machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Romeo Void

If it's an older style machine, to me they are gold.  New plastic ones ..... I have nothing good to say about them.  I've had an old machine that was given to me serviced and it's a stonking good beast!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chocolate Addict

I am going to go against everyone else. lol

If it was working fine when you stopped using it there is no need for a service. It may need some oil, but you can do that yourself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bono25

My mum had owned the same sewing machine for over 40 years. I don't think it had ever left her house since she bought it, let alone serviced! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Babetty

My sewing machine is older than me - it's an early 70s Elna Lotus. It hasn't been serviced for about 20 years (I've had it for about 25) but whenever I pull it out and just drop some oil in the marked spots it runs fine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
c4a79
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Babetty said:

My sewing machine is older than me - it's an early 70s Elna Lotus. It hasn't been serviced for about 20 years (I've had it for about 25) but whenever I pull it out and just drop some oil in the marked spots it runs fine!

Mine is an Elna too.  I'm even part of a vintage Elna group.  I never thought I would be interested in old sewing machines!

Edited by c4a79

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~elle~

I have my Nan’s old metal 1969 elna , it’s been serviced and runs so well. All the new machines are So  cheap and plastic. Definitely get yours serviced , the old metal machines are real workhorses and will probably out last me. My mum still has her old metal elna machine. I had no idea there was a group for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...