My4beautifulboys

Fainting

lucky 2

Occasionally, but people try to keep me upright which is the last thing I need, I just say "I'm going down" and down I go!

If you are worried and not sure what to do could you organise a gp appt to talk it through. You should understand what has happened, what your diagnosis is and how to manage it, I wouldn't rely on our advice. 😊

• Like 1

My4beautifulboys
Posted (edited)

Thanks, I’m seeing my Dr on Tuesday, so I’ll ask a few questions. It’s quite normal, for me to leap out of bed like that, and all other times I’ve been fine. But I’ll definitely be more aware of symptoms now. I’ll just be glad to be feeling better without these few symptoms. 

Edited by My4beautifulboys
  • Like 1

TheGreenSheep
10 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

I suffer from it as well. As other posters have said, you do eventually recognise the signs. I am usually able to sit down prior to fainting.

Happens to me getting out of bed, getting up off the couch and out of the bath/shower. Seems to be worse when it's very cold or very hot. It was the awful while I was pregnant.

I do find eating a diet with a little bit of salt (I grew up never adding salt to anything), and some caffeine helps. I have low BP and a very low RHR.

I also have a low BP & RHR, mostly sits around 40-50bpm. I warn the anaesthetist whenever I have had surgery as the nurses are in a raging rush to wake me up to get my RHR and BP back up.

Fainting started at puberty for me. I usually know it’s coming as my hearing goes funny and things start to fade to black. I can usually make myself tell the person with me, steady myself and wade through it.

• Like 2

ytt

I did it on a plane going to America, split my head open and was unconscious until they put oxygen on!!! best way to get through customs - go to emergency via fire truck ambulance lol. Not nice having stitches and not being able to wash your hair on a holiday!

I've fainted many times, I did it after an operation and needed a ct scan. I remember doing it at school in our school choir. 

My heart rate drops to 30 at night, my resting is usually in the 50's. I remember being in emergency once with morphine and my heart rate dropped in the 30's while awake so they took me off it. I love that stuff, I wish I knew about low being normal for me.

• Like 2

born.a.girl
5 minutes ago, ytt said:

I did it on a plane going to America, split my head open and was unconscious until they put oxygen on!!! best way to get through customs - go to emergency via fire truck ambulance lol. Not nice having stitches and not being able to wash your hair on a holiday!

I've fainted many times, I did it after an operation and needed a ct scan. I remember doing it at school in our school choir. 

My heart rate drops to 30 at night, my resting is usually in the 50's. I remember being in emergency once with morphine and my heart rate dropped in the 30's while awake so they took me off it. I love that stuff, I wish I knew about low being normal for me.

OMIGOSH, what a drama on an overseas trip.   And what a holiday story.

I was quite unwell in my early teenage years, and significantly underweight in the end.  My most dramatic faint was off the edge of the stage when we were kneeling right at the front for some sort of Eisteddfod. Don't think it was called that, back in the sixties, but that sort of thing.   

• Like 1

22Fruitmincepies
44 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

Hmmm, DH’s is often at 40 or so. One time in ED while his HR was being monitored (for another reason) he kept setting off the alarms (he had a thorough check over from a cardiologist after that). He has complained of feeling dizzy a few times lately, might just be his low heart rate. 

anatomicalheart

It's not unusual for me.

'Most dramatic' was in the radiology section of a hospital I'd been admitted to, being given lots of high-strength pain relief via IV, was tachycardiac, and nil-by-mouth awaiting surgery... and while I fainted I managed to rip out the cannula, getting blood everywhere in the process. 

I'd like to think I couldn't top that, but given this year...never say never. 

Redchick2

Yep, I’m prone to this too. I’ve also been known to faint in response to pain. It’s been happening since I was a little kid so I well and truly know how to manage it - I sometimes very firmly have to tell people that I need to lie down NOW! Unfortunately DS13 also seems to have inherited it and medical professionals are often surprised that I give very clear instructions on what to do for him (one dentist would not listen to me!) and am not freaked out. 

• Like 1

TheGreenSheep
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Redchick2 said:

Yep, I’m prone to this too. I’ve also been known to faint in response to pain. It’s been happening since I was a little kid so I well and truly know how to manage it - I sometimes very firmly have to tell people that I need to lie down NOW! Unfortunately DS13 also seems to have inherited it and medical professionals are often surprised that I give very clear instructions on what to do for him (one dentist would not listen to me!) and am not freaked out. 

Ah yes, when DS goes down I’m a little blasé, he knows to tell me and it’s just a case of getting him to the ground and feet up. He got rather spoilt after having an X-ray as the receptionists handed out the glucojel beans and drinks. I kept having to reassure them it was normal and he was fine. If I don’t get him to the ground he vomits too. Nice!

Edited by TheGreenSheep
  • Like 1

lucky 2
On 19/07/2020 at 8:30 PM, anatomicalheart said:

It's not unusual for me.

'Most dramatic' was in the radiology section of a hospital I'd been admitted to, being given lots of high-strength pain relief via IV, was tachycardiac, and nil-by-mouth awaiting surgery... and while I fainted I managed to rip out the cannula, getting blood everywhere in the process. 

I'd like to think I couldn't top that, but given this year...never say never. 

Yes I went down in radiology, fasting, narcotics, pain, a recipe for disaster, but no blood!

I think it might be a common place to faint, especially when they often need to cause pain to get the shots.

My4beautifulboys
Posted (edited)

Gosh, sorry to hear your horror stories from sudden fainting. I didn’t realise how common it was. When I fell over in the bedroom, I did whack my head on the floor. And then was out of it for a bit. Then went into Ed, they did a Ct scan and did find a tiny bleed. But luckily nothing serious. I had a follow up scan a week later, as all appears to be alright. 
ETA, My doctor explained that due to the concussion,  the lightheaded ness and feeling tired could last for some time?  It’s very not like me to be feeling like this, I’ll be so glad when I’m back to myself again. 

Edited by My4beautifulboys

Bandwagon

I have low blood pressure and feel faint a lot. One time I was spreading butter on bread and fainted, and a Labrador broke my fall. Even while I was blacked out, I still felt myself spreading bread 😂 probably lucky labs are hungry buggers.

I lie down quickly now when I feel it coming. 

Apageintime

I have low BP and have the feeling often. I know to lay straight down as soon as I feel it and just ride it out. Have had to do it at work a few times. My colleagues are semi- used to it now. 

born.a.girl
1 hour ago, My4beautifulboys said:

Gosh, sorry to hear your horror stories from sudden fainting. I didn’t realise how common it was. When I fell over in the bedroom, I did whack my head on the floor. And then was out of it for a bit. Then went into Ed, they did a Ct scan and did find a tiny bleed. But luckily nothing serious. I had a follow up scan a week later, as all appears to be alright. 
My doctor explained that the lightheaded ness and feeling tired could last for some time?  It’s very not like me to be feeling like this, I’ll be so glad when I’m back to myself again. 

It was probably the concussion you unfortunately incurred rather than the fainting.  The faint is just the body's way of forcing you to the ground and fortunately most people don't hurt themselves that much - although my daughter's mouth and braces were a bit of a mess.

Remember to keep up the fluids, especially ones with electrolytes which will hold the fluid in your body.