My4beautifulboys

Fainting

My4beautifulboys

Just recently I woke up quite early, like usual. Then thought oh know I’ve slept in, as I had to be somewhere. So I quickly jumped out of bed. Then didn’t feel quite right. So I sat on edge of bed, then I must have fainted. And bumped my head and blacked out. Luckily I was alright, after a trip to hospital and some checks. It seems I have a fairly low blood pressure, so by getting up quickly from a resting position isn’t good. 
Has anyone heard of or ever experienced this, apparently it’s not that uncommon? 

born.a.girl

It's extremely common. Daughter and husband both know to get up slowly, after our daughter fainted flat on her face smashing her braces and making a bit of a mess of her mouth.

Keep your fluids up and if you feel a bit faint, have something to drink that's salty.   V8 juice is good for that.

I had severely high blood pressure for nearly 20 years, then when I was cured, had significant orthostatic hypotension (which is what it's called) to the point of justifying steroids, but managed with lots of V8 varieties.

I now have 'weird' blood pressure, and take a tiny amount of medication and if it turns out I didn't need it, have exactly your problem.  Good problem to have compared with high blood pressure, but you do have to take care as you get older.

Meepy

My son and I have low blood pressure and it happens sometimes to both of us.  It can also happen when walking to me, so I'll just be walking in a straight line, feel a bit dizzy and have to grab onto something.  It is unpredictable.  Fortunately it is only when we are vertical so driving isn't affected.  

It does freak out some doctors/nurses when they take blood pressure- particularly if it drops down a tiny bit.  

lizzzard

How strange! The same thing happened to me recently - DS was crying in bed, I jumped up to see what was wrong and fainted while talking to him. I also fell and hit my head, went to the hospital etc I was fine - just had a shocking headache for a few days. In my case it was low blood pressure which runs in my family. I’d had two glasses of wine which can also lower BP... 

seayork2002

My mum had this alot when I was growing up, I had it a bit but only got close to fainting where mum fainted a lot

We both seem to be effected close to our periods

BornToLove

I have low blood pressure. It’s just something I live with. Yes, take your time getting out of bed/after sitting for long periods. Take things slow, listen to your body. 

The best thing you can do is when you feel one coming on, get down safely while you still can. Salt apparently helps so I usually have some salty snacks by my bed. And again, listen to your body and don’t push yourself too hard. 

WaitForMe

Yep I've got low blood pressure too. It was particularly bad as a teenager, I fainted so easily. It seems to have settled right down, the last time I can remember fully passing out was during that fasting glucose test during pregnancy. I refused to do it in my second pregnancy.

• Like 1

Bono25

Happens to me often, but I usually make it to sitting or lying down before passing out. Happens if I stand still for a long time in one spot as well. My Nan made my yr 10 formal dress, it happened when I was trying it on for the first time and I vividly remember my Nan telling me not to sit on a pin while I was collapsing 😂😂

Be careful during blood tests or if you ever donate blood. 

Not Escapin Xmas

Used to happen to me all the time. Then I discovered I have extreme food intolerances. Now never happens... just sayin’

Jenflea

My sister has low blood pressure (but I have high, damnit!) and she's been 'prescribed' potato chips every so often for the salt. 

chicken_bits

Yep. It's quite common. It's called Orthostatic Hypotension.

• Like 3

Kiwi Bicycle

I have fainted twice from standing up too long and once, a day  after an operation, while getting off the toilet. I have low blood pressure plus low resting heart rate.

Soontobegran

It is common as PP have said but even so if it becomes a regular feature in your life you need to be checked as occasionally there are some health issues which are causing this.

Always sit on the edge of the bed and swing your legs before standing. Keep some water beside your bed and have a big drink before you get up.

TheGreenSheep

I’m a continual fainter. My DS has inherited my issue! Stand for too long. Stand up too quickly. Overheat. Get up too early. Exercise. Pregnancy. Tired. Virus. AF. Dehydrated. Hungover. Allergies. It’s a joy!!

• Like 3

MooGuru
Posted (edited)

All the time. Standing up,  overheating, eating, hot showers and going to the toilet can all be triggers. 

If you feel it coming it's always best to sit/lie down before you fall. Saves you a bit of pain. 

Edited by MooGuru
Edited to remove identifying bit
  • Like 2

Prancer is coming

Yep, me!  Was worse when I was younger.  Mainly happens when I sit up too quickly, particularly on waking and when it is cold.  I make the effort on waking to sit up for 10 seconds before standing straight up, even if I feel fine.  I have also fainted from blood/medical procedures, and nice fell on my chin and needed stitches. I have learnt now if I feel a bit funny, to lay down (or at least sit with head between my knees) at the first sign of something amiss.  My DD also fainted just before she started her first period.

CrankyM
Posted (edited)

Happens to me more often then not, though I haven’t gotten to completely passing out, my vision usually goes and I know to get down immediately after face planting at 13. It comes and goes but I’ve always leaned towards low BP. Keep your fluids up will help somewhat. 

Edited by CrankyM
Missing word

22Fruitmincepies

Yep lie down before you fall down. I once lay in the dirt on the edge of a car park, I just had to lie there and wait for it to pass. My vision went, my hearing was all funny, but it meant I didn’t actually faint completely. You learn pretty quickly! 

Its not an issue for me any longer, but blood tests were my main problem and I was told they didn’t want me donating blood either. 

• Like 1

ckmelb

Yep used to happen to me fairly often from low blood pressure. Hasn't happened in a while but I normally get a few seconds notice when it's going to happen so sit down or crouch down so there's not as far to fall

blackcat20

I’ve fainted at too many warm weather outdoor weddings due to low blood pressure :ninja:

My4beautifulboys

Gosh I didn’t realise it was quite common. It’s never happened to me before getting out of bed in the morning. Although it’s not the first time I’ve fainted, it happened in my second pregnancy, standing out in the sun. Then straight after my Ds was born, but I soon came round again. This time I didn’t really know what was happening, next thing I remember is Dh waking me up from the floor. I must have hit my head fairly hard, when I went down. 
How long will it take for the concussion and mild symptoms to subside? It’s so not like me to be feeling like this, I can’t believe it. 

born.a.girl

Now that it's happened to you, you'll recognise the very first signs of it and just get down low instantly.  I had dozens and dozens of episodes of it after my surgery  but knew within a second that I needed to get down - the faster you do the less revolting the feeling.  In fact one advantage of fainting as you're actually out to it while your body adjusts!   Thinking you can make it to the next chair/bed etc and being forced down at the last moment is something you want to avoid.

It's definitely worth mentioning to your GP though, they can accurately test your blood pressure going from sitting to standing - there's a level at which it's worth further investigation.

nom_de_plume

I suffer from it as well. As other posters have said, you do eventually recognise the signs. I am usually able to sit down prior to fainting.

Happens to me getting out of bed, getting up off the couch and out of the bath/shower. Seems to be worse when it's very cold or very hot. It was the awful while I was pregnant.

I do find eating a diet with a little bit of salt (I grew up never adding salt to anything), and some caffeine helps. I have low BP and a very low RHR.

22Fruitmincepies

How low is your low RHR @nom_de_plume