can'tstayaway

What’s the tipping point of “old”?

can'tstayaway

Tonight, I’m sitting on the lounge having a little tipple of tokay after dinner.  

After my second glass, I realised I used to make fun of my mother for being old when she used to have a glass of tawny port after dinner.

DS made fun of me tonight and said I should at least have some cheese with it. I replied that I couldn’t have cheese this late, it will give me reflux!  It was only 8pm. 

I am now officially ‘old’ by my own definition.

Hasn’t helped that I’ve just moved to progressive glasses (modern day bifocals), haven’t seen my hairdresser in over 6months so the greys are quite prominent and DD has no concerns about my snooping on her phone because I can’t find the real messages. She leaves me a few cookie crumbs as a distraction but I know there’s more somewhere. 

So, what’s you’re tipping point for being ‘old’?

• Like 6
  • Haha 22

lozoodle

hehehe

I picked up a new night cream to try on Wednesday and as I was standing in line at the counter I realised it said "40 plus" on the side and I thought "oh no, I got the wrong one its for old people..." then I realised I'm now 39 and it is in fact the right one for me.

• Haha 12

Jenflea

My first pair of multifocals at about 40. 

And the fact that I'm thinking of splashing out on a GOOD bottle of sherry,  not the cheap stuff from Woolies lol.

• Haha 1

Ozquoll
Posted (edited)

My neck's starting to look older . Depressing 😢

Oh, and the way about half of the joints in my body ache. Pretty sure that didn't use to happen when I was young.

Annoyingly, since my sisters are older than me by four and five years respectively, I am never allowed to complain about getting older, because they are older still 😡

Edited by Ozquoll
  • Like 3

RichardParker

"Why do they make these things so hard to open?"

• Like 8
  • Haha 8

-Emissary-

When I stopped wanting to upgrade my phone because learning how to use a new phone seems too hard..

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

Not Escapin Xmas

A lot older than however old I am now!!!

• Like 4

*Marty*

The pretty young thing doing my shoulder ultrasound called me dear.  I thought 'bloody hell, that's what you call old people'.  I have friends my age with grandchildren and yes, I could have been her mum.  I felt old in that moment :(

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Soontobegran

I tipped a very long time ago, it was my hair on my head going grey and the hair on the rest of my body disappearing except for the one hair that grew from a mole near my ear ( now plucked )

I have managed to keep my hair brown ( thank you hairdresser ) but I've not grown body hair back.

*Marty*
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

.. but I've not grown body hair back.

In these parts, I would call that a win.  The other day my son was comparing who had the bigger mustache... him or me!!!

efs.

Edited by *Marty*
  • Like 8
  • Haha 12

Jane Jetson

I got my first pair of bifocals at age four and was in multis by six or seven... so either I've been old for a very long time or I can cheerfully dismiss any notions of it being your prescription that indicates your age!

My yardstick is "my age plus about thirty or forty years" at any given point. What my neck looks like (not good) is immaterial (because I'm not looking lalalalalala).

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

CallMeFeral

When I started doing that thing where you look at the menu and then you need to move it further away to read it. 

Also flossing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Lesley225

When I started listening exclusively to radio national. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

MooGuru

When I started a story with "back in my day..."

When my uni soundtrack started turning up on classic hits radio. Which leads to the moment I realised I really rate coles radio for the music they play instore.

I was talking to a full grown adult - the type who is alllwed to vote and drive recently and THEY WEREN'T ALIVE WHEN 9-11 HAPPENED. I mentioned the Berlin wall coming down and they said "oh but that was like fifty years ago". No. No, it wasn't. I remember it very clearly. The look I got suggested me remembering it didn't rule out it being 50 years ago. 

• Haha 25

IamOzgirl
4 hours ago, Jane Jetson said:

I got my first pair of bifocals at age four and was in multis by six or seven... so either I've been old for a very long time or I can cheerfully dismiss any notions of it being your prescription that indicates your age!

My yardstick is "my age plus about thirty or forty years" at any given point. What my neck looks like (not good) is immaterial (because I'm not looking lalalalalala).

This is me(with the glasses), however I am the opposite and actually embracing my age!

Example - Dad and I got a flat tyre today. He is 71 and I am 41.

He refused to call NRMA (he gets free membership!) And at one point I said 'dad we are BOTH to old for this sh*t!!"

• Haha 9

Popper

When the kids go to bed DH and I love a good port by the fire watching Jonathan Phang's Gourmet Express. Old person behaviour is the best. We are 38.

• Like 3

seayork2002

Dh and i have been 'old' since we met since in our early 20's.

But I am finding doctors, police officers etc. looking like teenagers for a while

• Like 5

No Drama Please

Using the phrase “young people” without irony.

turning on the car radio and it’s always tuned to the BBC

spent 20 minutes looking for glasses; glasses or on top of your head

keep bottles of milk thistle tablets in the liquor cabinet as a reminder 

people saying did you want to go for dinner? The booking is 8.30pm - 8.30pm is nearly bedtime!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sancti-claws
Posted (edited)

I remember a conversation with my sister when we were in our (very early) 20s about how we were apparently grown up.  Still don't feel that I am...

But old?  Same sister is embracing her grey - I have had attacks from the grey department since the above-mentioned conversation but it looks far better on her than me.

Whenever I am down on the floor or ground for whatever reason, I know that I am old on my clambering back up and staggering around "loosening the joints again"...

Oh yes - scoring a discount for dinner because you ordered before 6:30 is definitely a sign...

Edited by Sancti-claws

CCABW

When you see yourself on video calls with saggy skin and wrinkles...this may have happened to me this week.

• Like 2

TheGreenSheep

When I passed the jar to my son to open

• Like 1

Soontobegran
8 hours ago, *Marty* said:

In these parts, I would call that a win.  The other day my son was comparing who had the bigger mustache... him or me!!!

efs.

:) Not when you are talking eyebrows and pubic hair. 

Freddie'sMum

A few things - getting down on the floor to play a board game with the kids? No problem. Getting back up off the floor after finished said board game? Problems !

Getting the kids to read the 'best before' dates on any food / pasta sauce / packet of biscuits.  

The kind of 'low growl / groan' sounds I make either getting into bed or getting out of bed - like your body is just collapsing with the thought of doing either.  Sexy - NOT !

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

amdirel

Being out with friends (at the pub/restaurant/at their house) and you all get to that time in the night where you stop drinking alcohol and all decide you feel like a cup of tea.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

Catzilla
45 minutes ago, Soontobegran said:

:) Not when you are talking eyebrows and pubic hair. 

My eyebrows (and eyelashes for that matter) have been almost non-existent for as long as I can remember, and I'm only 45.