Twinmum+2

Damn job application rejection!

Twinmum+2

So I applied for a job months ago which I am over qualified for, have 3 years experience in and glowing references for, but today I got a notification to say my application was unsuccessful.

I don't actually want this job any more, I am lucky enough to have a perfectly good job that is better than that one.  But I am sooooo cranky that I didn't even get an interview that I want to know why I didn't.  

I tried to email them, but the email address bounces back.  I tried to call them and the phone number is diverted to a different part of the organisation who can't help me.  When I finally track down the right number, they don't answer the phone.   I am also aware these people can be a substandard employer which is why I'm very happy to have a better job.  Just to be clear they are a national employer with thousands of staff who are definitely not in any danger of going out of business.   

But goddamn it, they can't just reject my application and not tell me why.  I'm personally insulted 😂

• Like 2

SFA

I understand where you're coming from, it still feels like a rejection even though you don't want it anymore. I'd probably feel the same. But I'd also probably try to come up with some reason why and just forget about it. It sounds like it'll do your head in otherwise!

Like, perhaps they had someone already in the position temporarily and they really just had to go through the formal process to get that person in permanently? Or, perhaps there were other people who were also over-qualified and had equally as glowing references and they just happened to have slightly more experience? Or perhaps they're just numpties who don't know a good application when they see one?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Twinmum+2

Haha you're right.  I have just been rejected by these particular people a few times now and I'm beginning to wonder if there is someone in their recruitment office who hates me 😃 

In a place of nearly 500,000 people my town is still smaller than you would expect and there is only about 1 degree of separation for those of us who have lived here a long time.  I didn't bully anyone in school... 

Julie3Girls

While I understand your feelings, I wouldn’t bother chasing it.

Probably lots of people applying, many who could have had qualifications just as good or better than yours.

or could be that over qualified worked against you - a lot of organisations are hesitant to hire over qualified people for positions, worried that an over qualified person won’t stay in the position, will get bored, or will want more money

• Like 9

born.a.girl
13 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

Probably lots of people applying, many who could have had qualifications just as good or better than yours.

or could be that over qualified worked against you - a lot of organisations are hesitant to hire over qualified people for positions, worried that an over qualified person won’t stay in the position, will get bored, or will want more money

Exactly this.  I held interviews during the early - mid 80s recession.   People who are desperate for work will understandably apply for anything that gives them an income, until they can find an appropriate job.  Once I got burnt with that once - oh the perfect applicant, got everything we need - then she was off to greener pastures asap, I tended to look for people for whom the job was perfect.

Obviously that's not a foregone conclusion, but it's also not an unreasonable move from the employer.

Lou-bags
37 minutes ago, Julie3Girls said:

I think this is quite likely. A little while back I applied for (and got) a job I was very over qualified for- but I was very clear in my cover letter to highlight why the job was perfect for me at that time in my life and what I was hoping to get out of it, and what I had to offer.

Then, after that, I applied for a number of other jobs that I was over qualified for (due, this time, to a lack of jobs for which I am suitably qualified) and I got very few interviews (may 25% of the applications I wrote, or less). And in every single interview they asked me why I was applied for a job I was over qualified for. 

Heather11

One positive is that at least you were informed.

So many instances these days applicants are never informed.  Including those that have been interviewed.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

born.a.girl
3 minutes ago, Heather11 said:

So many instances these days applicants are never informed.  Including those that have been interviewed.

Appalling, isn't it?  My daughter applied for one for which she would have been absolutely perfect - ground floor position but right up her alley.   Heard nothing, and didn't know how hard to push on other jobs in the meantime.

Seems to be so much worse these days than decades ago, when it actually involve picking up the phone and connecting with someone, before the days of answering machines.  

• Like 2

hills mum bec

If it’s a big company then they could be culling applicants electronically.  I’ve been told by various people that if your resume doesn’t contain certain keywords and phrases then the systems that large HR departments use will automatically put you in the no pile regardless of your experience.  DH was having no luck getting interviews for jobs that he was perfectly qualified for.  He had his resume rewritten professionally (it was through Career One but the actual company that did it was in USA) and he pretty much landed a job straight away after 18 months of nothing.

• Sad 2

nom_de_plume
1 hour ago, Heather11 said:

Yep. I interviewed for a job 5 weeks ago now. They said i'd hear back within 2-3 weeks. They've contacted my referees. I've never heard back from them.

In the meantime I've started another job.

SFmummyto3

Yeah I've been applying for countless and countless jobs over the last few months with no luck at all. Pretty sure my older age is a factor. I only hear back from a few and it's usually an email on Friday afternoons. I always take a deep breath when checking emails on Fridays 😞   It's very difficult out there at all ends of the spectrum. 

Twinmum+2

For all the PPs who are applying for jobs without any success, I hope you have better luck soon.  I'm convinced that a lot of the time it really is just luck... you appeal in just the right way to the right person and you get the job.   Which is very disheartening if you are one of the thousands of other applicants who might be just as good but not lucky that day.  

Age certainly plays a part too.  I'm getting kind of old now and I think that has worked against me in a lot of applications.  I stopped putting my earlier education on my resume, but then that's a flag too.   If I'm not saying I graduated high school ten years ago you can bet it was a lot longer ago than that.

My initial crankiness had worn off now and I'm happy to let it go. (Let it gooooooooo.... let it goooooooo......) oops sorry about that.  Slipped out.

The way the world is right now I think I'll just be happy to have a job.  

• Like 2

Lou-bags
11 minutes ago, Twinmum+2 said:

For all the PPs who are applying for jobs without any success, I hope you have better luck soon.  I'm convinced that a lot of the time it really is just luck... you appeal in just the right way to the right person and you get the job.   Which is very disheartening if you are one of the thousands of other applicants who might be just as good but not lucky that day.  

Age certainly plays a part too.  I'm getting kind of old now and I think that has worked against me in a lot of applications.  I stopped putting my earlier education on my resume, but then that's a flag too.   If I'm not saying I graduated high school ten years ago you can bet it was a lot longer ago than that.

My initial crankiness had worn off now and I'm happy to let it go. (Let it gooooooooo.... let it goooooooo......) oops sorry about that.  Slipped out.

The way the world is right now I think I'll just be happy to have a job.  

I was about to ask how people could possibly know how old you were from a resume/CV but then I read this. It's been ages since I've included my high school on my CV - I wouldn't have even thought to include it after a few years post high school. 

Lunafreya

Applying for jobs is soul crushing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Mumsyto2
1 hour ago, Lou-bags said:

I was about to ask how people could possibly know how old you were from a resume/CV but then I read this. It's been ages since I've included my high school on my CV - I wouldn't have even thought to include it after a few years post high school. 

If you have been out of high school for any length of time it doesn’t make sense to list it. I put my undergrad and post-grad degrees and associated uni’s on a resume but don’t specify when these were attained. Previously my registration was the important factor but after chucking that in no subsequent work has ever even asked me for a copy or proof of degrees. 

I also only ever list the work done in the past 15 years with associated positions and dates. Then I follow with a header stating relevant professional experience prior to x date. I don’t detail all of the positions I held in the 20 years prior to the ones over the last 15 years I list. It’s just a general paragraph only mentioning any positions and key experience/skills held historically that would directly be applicable to the role I’m applying for. Essentially this means a prospective employer doesn’t have my year of initial graduation or know exactly how many years experience I have had prior to the last 15 years. So theoretically they don’t know my age. In reality though in my line of work everyone knows who you are anyway so they know how old I am before discussing possible job opportunities. 

• Like 2

Ozquoll
43 minutes ago, Lunafreya said:

Applying for jobs is soul crushing 

Yes 😞.

I was, sort of, pleasantly surprised the other day when I actually got a rejection email! Better than applying and never hearing back from them, which is the usual way of it. After seven years out of the workforce, and with coronavirus killing the economy, I doubt I will ever find employment again.

MadMarchMasterchef
8 hours ago, Julie3Girls said:

Yup,  overqualified people don't get job offers.  Ive even heard people being reluctant to hire somebody who is studying a different field, or has strong qualifications in a different fied.  And Ive seen people who tried for ages and couldn t get a job get one as soon as they omitted P.h.D from their resume.  

• Like 2

foofoo
Posted (edited)

I have had recent experience from both sides.

As the applicant I was not offered an interview for a position I was over qualified for.   I know the recruiter and was able to get feedback which I probably normally wouldn't have got.  I was too experienced and was as qualified as the manager of the project.  They were concerned about being able to maintain my interest, how I would adjust stepping  back from a senior manager role to a team member, and being managed when I was used to managing.  All very valid concerns.

On the otherside I recruited recently and given the market most applicants were over qualified.  I didn't end up going with the most qualified for the same reasons as above.  I went with someone who was still over qualified but did not have as much experience and tbh I am not sure it has been easy adjustment.

Edited by foofoo
Typo
  • Like 2

Sancti-claws

I once received a rejection thanking me for the interview that never happened.  From my daughter's school (admin role).  Now, I have enough admin experience to know not to use the wrong mail merge...

It is annoying, OP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

maryanneK

So true. My  dh is qualified in an IT related field and it took him forever to find an IT job after he graduated. While he was looking he applied for so many jobs... supermarket shelf stacking, Bunnings......never even got close. People kept saying"just go for any job" - which he did! But Overqualified is definitely an issue for employers. 

I'm double degree and PhD educated... I've had some really low career moments and at one stage decided to have a career break, study and work part time retail...but despite my best efforts didn't come close to getting my ideal dream part time  retail job.....had to go back to my depressing "career" job. ..

Dh  is job hunting now and the lack of response is just crushing. A form email saying 'thanks but no" isn't too much to ask surely... I feel your pain OP!

MadMarchMasterchef
On 17/07/2020 at 6:58 AM, Sancti-claws said:

I once received a rejection thanking me for the interview that never happened.  From my daughter's school (admin role).  Now, I have enough admin experience to know not to use the wrong mail merge...

It is annoying, OP.

Or at least preview the results before sending 🤣.    I can top that story - Ive heard of a uni that sent out the wrong results due to a mail merge fail!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

steppy

So disgusting that employers can't be bothered to even send a rejection email. Even more if they actually interviewed someone and then just never tell them what happened. It's a pity the person they hire has no idea what little value they place on people. 

• Like 2

Lallalla
On 16/07/2020 at 3:25 PM, nom_de_plume said:

Yep. I interviewed for a job 5 weeks ago now. They said i'd hear back within 2-3 weeks. They've contacted my referees. I've never heard back from them.

In the meantime I've started another job.

That wasn’t a government job by any chance? The wheels grind very very slowly sometimes. It is the most frustrating thing, waiting for sign off, knowing the first choice may well have accepted something else in the meantime.  The longest process I’ve been involved in (where I was aiming to be promoted) took 6 months from advertising to gazette (meaning you can start) - by that point I’d moved departments and was acting at a level higher than the one I got promoted to. 

• Like 1

nom_de_plume
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Lallalla said:

That wasn’t a government job by any chance? The wheels grind very very slowly sometimes. It is the most frustrating thing, waiting for sign off, knowing the first choice may well have accepted something else in the meantime.  The longest process I’ve been involved in (where I was aiming to be promoted) took 6 months from advertising to gazette (meaning you can start) - by that point I’d moved departments and was acting at a level higher than the one I got promoted to. 

Yes,  government job. 6 weeks now. Won't be holding my breath. I've heard even if they call references you can still be unsuccessful so just have to wait and see.

I got a rejection email for the APS6 role I applied for, but still in the running for EL1.

Edited by nom_de_plume

gracie1978

You might be going on a list of qualified candidates, if the preferred one pulls out or leaves in the first 12 months.

I ALWAYS send rejection emails and always phone rejected candidates who have come in for an interview.  I hate doing it, but I suck it up because I know it's ten times worse for the person receiving the news.