~LemonMyrtle~

Toilet in En-suite or massive shower?

~LemonMyrtle~
Posted (edited)

I’m sketching up some rough plans for a small extension and reconfiguration of our house. See picture.

i think, with a powder room right outside the bedroom door, that we don’t need a toilet in the en-suite, and can instead have a big fancy shower and a giant vanity, and maybe a tall cupboard for towels and things (we don’t currently have a linen cupboard) And I don’t like a toilet so close to my bedroom anyway, they’re smelly and noisy.

DH wants a toilet in the en-suite, but that will mean a smaller shower and just a more crowded feel in general.

what do you think?

(note, drawing is crap, not to scale, but you get the gist)

editing to add: we have another toilet upstairs.

24E60CA0-DFD5-415F-9D8A-04734D9BC55D.png

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~

IamtheMumma

I like toilets and showers separately.  I'd prefer a larger shower too. 

• Like 1

Feral-as-Meggs

Oh interesting question. 

I think I’d put the toilet in, as most buyers would expect it    But if you don’t plan to sell for ages that doesn’t matter.    

But one thing you might want to address while you have the chance is to make that bedroom and bathroom accessible, in case someone breaks a hip or something   It’s just a matter of making sure the doors are wide as per the code, and having a hobless shower  - railings can be installed later if necessary. That would probably lean me towards having the loo in the en suite.  

• Like 5

Kiwi Bicycle

Do you really need such a large sink area? I'd reduce that and keep the toilet and have a large shower. The more toilets in a house the better ( especially for resell). The houses I know that have two bathrooms but only one toilet find it super inconvenient. Our neighbour redid their bathroom to fit another toilet in. The only toilet in the house was in a seperate powder room.

• Like 1

~LemonMyrtle~
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Do you really need such a large sink area? I'd reduce that and keep the toilet and have a large shower. The more toilets in a house the better ( especially for resell). The houses I know that have two bathrooms but only one toilet find it super inconvenient. Our neighbour redid their bathroom to fit another toilet in. The only toilet in the house was in a seperate powder room.

Just edited my post. We have another (small) bathroom with toilet upstairs with the kids bedrooms, so this is a third toilet. 

and yes, after spending the last 4 years with just a pedestal sink in our main bathroom, give me allllll the bench space. I need the bench space. 

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~
  • Haha 1

Just Another Cat

I see what you mean by the powder room being so close, but I would still put a toilet in the en-suite. It’s hard to tell (because the pic is not to scale), but it looks like there is heaps of room. 

I would also consider if you really want the power room door facing the front entry. 

• Like 6

Lees75
Posted (edited)

I think you will need to reconfigure it a bit, as you often can’t have a shower that close to a door without consideration of water proofing requirements.

Edited by Lees75

Luci

I think I would tend towards putting a toilet in the ensuite. 

• Like 1

born.a.girl
Posted (edited)

Personally I'd want a loo in the ensuite, because if I need to pee during the night, i don't want to have to consider anyone else in the house. At the moment we don't have an ensuite so have to put some garb on to go, no biggie, but given the choice I'd choose close by - not have to go outside the bedroom door.  Also consider if someone's sick, they don't want to have to go out to the entry area.

No help on the re-configuring. 

ETA: Plus I strip off, have a pee, then get in the shower. It would be annoying to have to pretty much get dressed again, then go back in to have a shower.

Edited by born.a.girl
  • Like 6

Paddlepop

Toilet in the ensuite. Perhaps make a rule of no pooing in there overnight to keep the air smelling nice while you’re sleeping. Go out to the powder room for that. 

Like b.a.g I like being able to go straight from the toilet to the shower with no need to pull up my pants. Instead I can strip off while on the loo and get straight into the water. Particularly handy if you’re ill. 

Resale value would need a toilet in there or at the very least the appropriate plumbing connections installed and available for future use. 

• Like 1

-Emissary-
Posted (edited)

I personally like having the toilet in my en-suite. It’s my personal toilet as no one else uses the en-suite except me. 

I don’t find any smell escapes the en-suite when I have the door shut. 

29 minutes ago, Lees75 said:

as you often can’t have a shower that close to a door without consideration of water proofing requirements.

That’s similar to the config of my current en-suite. The water proofing runs floor to ceiling on the two walls where the shower is and up to hip high for the rest of the room.. though this is similar for the bathroom where the shower isn’t near the door.

Edited by -Emissary-
  • Like 3

dadwasathome

Given that you're showing a toilet immediately outsiode the master, I'd be slightly less committed to another in the onsuite if there were particular issues.

But would find a house with a toiletless ensuite in the master odd if I was buying.

• Like 2

eilca
Posted (edited)

I think a toilet is needed in an en-suite.

We have an open plan bathroom and walk in robe with the vanity providing the "wall" in the middle. It really makes everything more spacious.

53E88F10-2061-4305-8CDF-568C483A809A.jpeg

Edited by eilca
Example photo
  • Like 2

Kaz83

Apparently not a popular opinion but no way would I have a toilet in the open in the ensuite. When we built our current house we put a door on the ensuite and then put the toilet in its own room in the ensuite. I would much prefer the bigger shower and seperate toilet, especially as there is a sink in the powder room. Having had both configurations, I would certainly buy the house with the separate toilet. 

• Like 7

coastlife

Can you reconfigure the poweder room/bedroom/ensuite so the existing loo becomes part of the new ensuite?  Even if you turn the loo around so you can still use the same plumbing maybe? 

• Like 3

barrington
8 minutes ago, coastlife said:

Can you reconfigure the poweder room/bedroom/ensuite so the existing loo becomes part of the new ensuite?  Even if you turn the loo around so you can still use the same plumbing maybe? 

I would make your actual bedroom smaller and see if you can access the powder room from inside your bedroom.  

• Like 2

~LemonMyrtle~
1 hour ago, coastlife said:

We probably could do dual access to the powder room. But I don’t want that. Then guests may accidentally walk into our bedroom. 

1 hour ago, Just Another Cat said:

I see what you mean by the powder room being so close, but I would still put a toilet in the en-suite. It’s hard to tell (because the pic is not to scale), but it looks like there is heaps of room. 

I would also consider if you really want the power room door facing the front entry. 

Doesn’t bother me that the door would face the front door. They’re actually slightly offset (not shown well in  my sketch) but when you come in the front door, you overwhelmingly see the stairs. The stairs are well lit and definitely take over the view. 

1 hour ago, dadwasathome said:

Given that you're showing a toilet immediately outsiode the master, I'd be slightly less committed to another in the onsuite if there were particular issues.

But would find a house with a toiletless ensuite in the master odd if I was buying.

Yeah, it might be odd for resale. But we don’t plan to move if we do this extension, this is what is needed to make this our “forever home”, well, at least the next 10 years anyway.

If I hold the space with a small linen cupboard for storage and towels (which is what we need more than a third toilet), we could easily add a toilet in later on, cause it’s right near the main sewer line, all the plumbing would be there. 

• Like 1

Holidayromp

I’m not a fan of toilets in bathroom ...... sh*t scented toothpaste anyone?

But it’s rare to see an en-suite without one. 

can'tstayaway

I would prefer a toilet in the en-suite. 

I was going to suggest a different configuration similar to @eilca above. I know the sketch isn’t to scale but could you have the en-suite across the back wall and then either a walk through wardrobe or wardrobe on either side?  It would eat into the bedroom space which looks like there is plenty but I’m not sure.  

I would have the toilet in a nook at one end of the room so it’s hidden (I hate open toilets in a large en-suite), possibly with a cavity slider door and a really good extraction fan. 

I don’t know how to include a picture but basically, walking from your bed to the en-suite, you pass the wardrobe on either side and have a big double vanity along the back wall. Id have windows up high along the whole wall so you get plenty of light but don’t lose privacy (unless it looks out into a unit complex or neighbour’s second floor windows).  Mirror cabinets for extra storage as well. Then to one side, you can have a big shower.  I love ours without doors and the slope of the floor goes to a grate drain so really clean lines. Down the other end have the toilet hidden behind a wall. You can build in storage which also provide a sound buffer or just have free standing furniture. If there’s enough depth, have cabinets on the wall that is shared with the wardrobe for even more storage. Or just lots of towel rails. I like to have powerpoints in my vanity drawers so I can leave hair dryers and straightening irons plugged in. I also have power-points in the mirror cabinets for electric toothbrushes, razors and my sonic face cleaner. 

• Like 1

-Belinda-

Is there another place the powder room can go?

I would have a big shower and have a toilet door entrance on the same side as the vanity - with the toilet in a separate room at the back of the WIR. Reduced space in the WIR would be compensated by having a second wardrobe in the powder room space.

Or it seems you have heaps of bedroom space (though this may be the not to scale plan) - if the powder room has to stay where it is, then make the WIR and ensuite bigger and bedroom smaller so that the toilet can still be at the back of the WIR.

We have a square ensuite, with the shower in the corner next to the door. When we renovated, we rotated the shower doorway away from the bathroom doorway.  

plan.png

• Like 6

~LemonMyrtle~

I like that idea Belinda, could be a good compromise with DH. And with a few tweaks, Maybe take a touch of bedroom space, we could probably still have a big walk in robe. 

• Like 2

Jane Jetson

As far as I'm concerned the toilet is the whole point of the ensuite! I don't want to queue for the toilet at 2am or have to put less revealing stuff on to go to the loo in summer. 

I love your big sink though. I'd kill for a sink like that. I suspect the female half of the previous owners of this house wasn't really into makeup or hair, because there is no bench space anywhere in the bathrooms and I have to heat up my curlers in the kitchen. Something to fix one day...

• Like 2

born.a.girl
4 hours ago, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

We probably could do dual access to the powder room. But I don’t want that. Then guests may accidentally walk into our bedroom. 

You snib the door each time you leave the toilet, which is one of the pains of dual access toilets in that situation.

I like the idea of nicking some wardrobe space that's been given - that would even give a door to the toilet for aromatic protection.:)

Jenflea

I just want a second toilet, I don't care where it is!

*sniff*

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

MooGuru
Posted (edited)

Have you used a giant shower before?  DH was all about a giant shower. Everything had to have a giant shower when we were discussing housing.  Then we stayed in a hotel with a giant shower. It was freaking freezing!  It didn't steam up or retain any heat at all.  He hasn't mentioned wanting a giant shower since. 

Eta I like the idea of a toilet off to the side behind the WIR

Edited by MooGuru
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2