Meepy

Off colour video sent to 11yo

Ruf~Feral~es
47 minutes ago, Meepy said:

Thanks all, your responses are appreciated.  My kids think I overreacted but I’m feeling comfortable with it now. 

I'm sure it won't be the last time they accuse you of that!   I always take it to mean I'm doing it right.........  :)  And they usually agree, in hindsight. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Prancer is coming

I would not be overly concerned about the situation, but it is good to set boundaries moving forward.  Swearing is inappropriate in our house and I have pulled my kid up for using a swear word in a message to a family friend.  But at the same time I would not be surprised if the kids found a swearing video hilarious but would hope they would not share it.  I do try and pick my battles with what I intervene with online so they don’t try and find ways around me monitoring their activity (such as secret accounts) but it is hard.

I think this is a good case for ensuring screens are out of the bedroom at a certain time each night.  11pm is way too late for messages, regardless of the content.  

• Like 3

MadMarchMasterchef
On 14/07/2020 at 1:14 PM, Ruf~Feral~es said:

Yes, there is a lot to deal with when kids start using social media and the internet in general.  I don't think blanket bans on access is helpful.  It takes more effort to police it and talk them through every situation, but I believe supported use and access at 10/11 years of age helps them manage their own usage and others when they get to 16, 18+.

This is the way I intend to deal with internet access as well.  Growing up I know that having things banned didn't stop my friends accessing it!   But then I also think the scenario Dadto2 described of an advent of bullying is a bit different to a kid making a bad choice once to send a link so those 1 event need to be handled differently. 

Gosh its a minefield Im not looking forward to! 

• Like 1

Hollycoddle

Is it this video?

I think you're over-reacting lol.

lizzzard

I personally feel the content/context makes a difference....and I might be a bit out of step with others views here, but I would think a little more about what's happened.

Swearing isn't such a huge deal ....if it was something sexually inappropriate, racist, etc I would have a different position.

But if your kids think you over-reacted - and usually you can tell if kids really think that, or are just giving you a hard time - then this might affect how open they (and their friends) are with you in the future.  Maybe just something to consider.

• Like 3