Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
3babygirls

Covid friendly party food

Recommended Posts

3babygirls

Having eldests birthday soon at a play centre and they said that we need to do a seperate cupcake for birthday kid to blow out due to covid.

I hadn't even thought about it. We are in a relatively 'safe' area with very few cases, but it made me think about what sort of food I should be serving.. it will be morning tea and the kids will be mainly 2-4 year olds. 

I thought about just making sure that everything has tongs etc. but now i'm wondering whether I should be thinking a bit more about what i'm serving.

Any suggestions of what might be good or not good to serve? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lou-bags

If you're intent on going ahead with the party (which, with the assumption that you're in NSW based on what you've said in your post, I perhaps would be reconsidering), I'd make up individual snack boxes for each guest rather than doing any shared food at all.

Tongs are no good, as they'll need to be handled by each person, so IMO they'd be higher risk than having the food picked up by hand. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22Fruitmincepies

For DD’s birthday a couple of months ago (we were allowed 20 people) I did individual packets of chips, fruit kebabs, juice boxes, and the candle was removed from the cake and away from the party guests for blowing out. Everyone got some hand sanitiser before the food was served. That was for 6yo, and part of the reason for separate everything was also to keep the allergy kids and coeliac kid safe. For a younger age group I would do the boxes like Lou-bags suggested. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3babygirls
30 minutes ago, Lou-bags said:

If you're intent on going ahead with the party (which, with the assumption that you're in NSW based on what you've said in your post, I perhaps would be reconsidering), I'd make up individual snack boxes for each guest rather than doing any shared food at all.

Tongs are no good, as they'll need to be handled by each person, so IMO they'd be higher risk than having the food picked up by hand. 

Yes, I thought about doing individual snack boxes, just wondering where I might be able to get something suitable.. 

Definitely not canceling at this stage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiwi Bicycle

I would also be tempted to do cupcakes for everyone to reduce food handling while cutting.  I have seen cupcakes iced to make a big picture when grouped together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lou-bags
2 minutes ago, 3babygirls said:

Yes, I thought about doing individual snack boxes, just wondering where I might be able to get something suitable.. 

Definitely not canceling at this stage. 

One party I went to where the host did this for the kids used plastic tote boxes from Bunnings. They are $3 a pop (I just checked) but the guest list was very small so it wouldn't have been a huge expense for her. The kids used theirs for ages afterwards for various toys and for drawing supplies for a while too. They are still hanging around somewhere or other. 

The boxes also served as their "party bag". So it was like the party food and party bag all in one. She included a juice box, bag of popcorn, plastic cup with lollies and chocs etc. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~LemonMyrtle~
Posted (edited)

I’m in Victoria, so, different, but

we had a “party” in a park just before shut down again (Before we had high number again, and none in my local area, so kind of where NSW is now). It was only 5 kids, I didn’t serve any party food other than individual mini cupcakes I had bought from woolies, birthday boy had a candle in his own, and they got lolly bags full of wrapped lollies only to take home. I had a pump pack of sanitiser for them to use before grabbing a cup cake.

it wasn’t worth the risk giving kids any home cooked food or anything they had to share. I think the parents appreciated it, because we had just started the current outbreak and many were worried.

I’m surprised your play centres are open for parties, even when restrictions were lifted I don’t think play centres were doing parties here, but it is a lot different down here. 

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
~LemonMyrtle~
14 minutes ago, 3babygirls said:

Yes, I thought about doing individual snack boxes, just wondering where I might be able to get something suitable.. 

Definitely not canceling at this stage. 

Woolies have home brand take-away food containers. They have decent sized ones. Very cheap and available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kiwi Bicycle
3 minutes ago, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

I’m surprised your play centres are open for parties, even when restrictions were lifted I don’t thing okay centres were doing parties here, but it is a lot different down here. 

Strangely enough I saw some ads for Victoria based play centres ( Lollypops was one) saying you could book a birthday party and you would have exclusive use of the venue for your party. I guess they were truly desperate to get some business.

Obviously not happening now...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
born.a.girl
7 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Strangely enough I saw some ads for Victoria based play centres ( Lollypops was one) saying you could book a birthday party and you would have exclusive use of the venue for your party. I guess they were truly desperate to get some business.

Obviously not happening now...

Sensible move.  Good public relations, the sort of stuff businesses pay thousands of dollars for.   I used to do plenty in my business that didn't make me any money, but I couldn't complete with the large companies in many ways, but there were things i could do that they found difficult, and it paid off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3babygirls
28 minutes ago, ~LemonMyrtle~ said:

Woolies have home brand take-away food containers. They have decent sized ones. Very cheap and available. 

That's actually a really great idea. Now just gotta decide what to put in them! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onetrick

How old are the kids? We had a party early March and I did individual grab n go type food, even for the adults. Fruit kebabs, jelly cups, muffins.

Avoided things like bowls of chips/ lollies and cheese platters that are the norm for family things. 

Could do individual dip cups (dip in bottom with sticks of celery and carrot in little cup).

It's hard cause I hate waste, so I tried to see what I could do with what I had at home, but again this was before things got bad so I was just being careful. Others were still having grazing platters (which I dont really like at the best of times- they look so good, but the waste and the food touching each other isnt for me).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
anatomicalheart

We had a party several weeks ago when there were 2 active cases across the state.

There were food intolerances to cater for as well, as the food was:

Rainbow jelly cups

Mini cupcakes

Rainbow fruit skewers

Mini sausage rolls

Cups filled with rainbow popcorn

Mini bags of lollies

Chicken kebabs

Sausages in bread- one person cooked and handed to children.

Cake was a donut tower- candles on one donut for birthday child to hold and blow out, and then I sanitized my hands and handed out the rest. 

 

At parties in the past I have also used a 'loot box' as a container for hot party food so each child had their own box with a mini pie, mini dagwood dog, hot chips and sauce (it was a carnival themed party). 

 

You might want to check with the playcentre if you're allowed to bring in outside food other than the cake- most playcentres you can't. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3babygirls
17 minutes ago, anatomicalheart said:

We had a party several weeks ago when there were 2 active cases across the state.

There were food intolerances to cater for as well, as the food was:

Rainbow jelly cups

Mini cupcakes

Rainbow fruit skewers

Mini sausage rolls

Cups filled with rainbow popcorn

Mini bags of lollies

Chicken kebabs

Sausages in bread- one person cooked and handed to children.

Cake was a donut tower- candles on one donut for birthday child to hold and blow out, and then I sanitized my hands and handed out the rest. 

 

At parties in the past I have also used a 'loot box' as a container for hot party food so each child had their own box with a mini pie, mini dagwood dog, hot chips and sauce (it was a carnival themed party). 

 

You might want to check with the playcentre if you're allowed to bring in outside food other than the cake- most playcentres you can't. 

Thanks! Very helpful. I had already thought about some of these options and the mini sausage rolls sound like a great idea too. 

The donut cake sounds like an awesome idea! Might think about doing that!
 

The centre is totally fine with me bringing food, no restrictions :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Announcements

×
×
  • Create New...