Sign in to follow this  
3babygirls

Wilhelmina

3babygirls
Posted (edited)

I am really really loving Wilhelmina at the moment and hubby is actually agreeing! 

My only real hesitation is how difficult it will be to spell.. our other girls have long and unusual names, but they are 'fairly' easy to spell.
I am concerned with how difficult it may be to spell Wilhelmina. 

Wondering on everyones thoughts? 

Edited by 3babygirls

kerilyntaryn

oops,  probably pretty hard,  since you misspelt  in your post.  Yes an easy on to misspell unfortunately

• Like 2

Datrys

I wouldn't even be sure which of the various ways it should be pronounced, tbh.

I'd probably hesitate, in Australia.  I wonder whether Wilfreda might be close in style but a bit easier?

3babygirls
21 minutes ago, kerilyntaryn said:

oops,  probably pretty hard,  since you misspelt  in your post.  Yes an easy on to misspell unfortunately

haha, I had a cat on my lap trying to bite me at the time so i'm surprised that most of it was legible. 

• Haha 2

3babygirls
10 minutes ago, Datrys said:

I wouldn't even be sure which of the various ways it should be pronounced, tbh.

I'd probably hesitate, in Australia.  I wonder whether Wilfreda might be close in style but a bit easier?

I'd use wil-ə-MEEN-ə as the pron. 

Hubby would probably love Wilfreda as he was really keen on Wilfred for a boy. I don't love the freda sound in it. 

Lees75

I love it, but it was my Dutch nana's name, so I am biased. Are you thinking of pronouncing it with a "w" sound or the more traditional pronunciation - the Dutch W is more a soft V/F sound. 

Also, the child is bound to get called Willie.

• Like 1

3babygirls
2 minutes ago, Lees75 said:

I love it, but it was my Dutch nana's name, so I am biased. Are you thinking of pronouncing it with a "w" sound or the more traditional pronunciation - the Dutch W is more a soft V/F sound. 

Also, the child is bound to get called Willie.

I'd use the more 'English' pron. with the hard W rather than the v/f sound (which I also love, but adds an extra layer of complication!)

I don't mind Willie too much but we would probably try and start of using Bill, Billie or Willa to try establish it. 

Islander

I love it! And I would have spelt it Wilhelmina. I love Mina as a nickname too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gudrun

We grew up with a Wilhelmina and she lived with us for a time.  We didn't have any trouble spelling her name and I don't recall it ever being an issue.

• Thanks 1

blimkybill

Yes it is very hard to spell, I agree. I love Mina or Minnie for the nickname rather than Willie. I think perhaps the child would be 90% known by whichever nickname you go with, and that would be how they mostly spell it, eg at school. 

Mrs Claus

It was my Omas name and I still struggle to spell it. 

Stuffed Olive

It’s very pretty.

Just a silent L, no more difficult than Malcolm in my opinion.

• Like 3

3babygirls
10 hours ago, blimkybill said:

Yes it is very hard to spell, I agree. I love Mina or Minnie for the nickname rather than Willie. I think perhaps the child would be 90% known by whichever nickname you go with, and that would be how they mostly spell it, eg at school. 

I love Minnie but we already call my second daughter's mini (as she's her sisters mini me) so I stuffed that up lol. 

Our eldest has quite a long name that has several obvious nicknames and so far it doesn't get shortened, or if it does she tells people that's not her name. 

• Like 1

amdirel

Most names have so many spelling variants that people have to spell out even basic names, so I wouldn't be too worried. Although Wilhelmina is a long name to spell out. 

Also I really would not be accepting of Willie as a nickname. That's just inviting teasing IMO. I would do Mina or Willa. You could even do Willow.

Freddie'sMum

I'm not a fan OP but if you love it -go for it.  One of our DD's middle names is Charlotte.  I got told by my MIL that it was "too long".  You are never going to please everybody esp when it comes to naming a baby - but she is YOUR baby and you and your partner / DH get first choice !  

I like Mina or Willa / Willow as a NN.

BBC

It's my aunties name. Yes she is Willy. No problem by me, but I'd choose Billie as a nickname I think.

• Like 1

José

I think its quite an unattractive name. It's a little uncommon so I would imagine the spelling would not automatically be known.  

Pip_longstockings

I know a few, spelling never a problem, even when I was a kid. Nickname for both was Mina. 

YodaTheWrinkledOne

Yeah, expect that you will have to spell it out. But that happens to loads of people, so don't let that stop you

On 13/07/2020 at 7:59 AM, amdirel said:

Most names have so many spelling variants that people have to spell out even basic names, so I wouldn't be too worried. Although Wilhelmina is a long name to spell out. 

Also I really would not be accepting of Willie as a nickname. That's just inviting teasing IMO. I would do Mina or Willa. You could even do Willow.

when they get to school, that's out of your hands .....

YodaTheWrinkledOne
On 17/07/2020 at 1:06 PM, Freddie'sMum said:

I'm not a fan OP but if you love it -go for it.  One of our DD's middle names is Charlotte.  I got told by my MIL that it was "too long"

huh? It's  2 syllables??? How is that remotely long?

kerilyntaryn

What are your  other girls name, how many syllables and what do they start with.  Are they all feminization of boys names