Hummingbird82

Need good data connection for online interview. Help!

Hummingbird82

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I must confess that my husband and I are still in the dark ages and we don't have internet in our house. If we need to use the internet on our computers, we just hotspot off our phones. Which is fine but now I have an interview on Monday morning using Microsoft Teams.

I was going to go to a friend's house and use her internet, but due to the lockdown in Melbourne and the fact that she is waiting to hear the results of a contact who may have Covid, this isn't an option anymore.

I don't think my mobile hotspot is going to cut it, and I'm after some suggestions to try and get a good internet connection without going through the process of setting up internet in our house (as I don't have much time now). 

Is it worth buying a mobile broadband device to hotspot off, or is that equally useless? Any advice would be amazing!

Thank you

gracie1978

My phone is literally ten times faster than my home internet.

Do a speed test and see what you're working with.

How much data do you have available?

• Like 1

Hummingbird82

Oh that's great to know! Thank you. I'll just look up to see how to do a speed test. Definitely feeling like a dinosaur now. Thank you! 

I just did a recharge and have 42 GB. How much does one hour on microsoft teams use? Thank you!

Hummingbird82
4 minutes ago, gracie1978 said:

My phone is literally ten times faster than my home internet.

Do a speed test and see what you're working with.

How much data do you have available?

Download speed is 53.5 Mbps. But I imagine it will be slower on Monday morning with lots of people working from home?

Upload speed is 1.6Mbps - that seems really bad?

MsLaurie

I think Teams can work on your phone too... although I haven’t tried it. Perhaps you can just set your phone up on a stand?? Or do you have an iPad or similar with the larger screen?

• Like 2

Heather11

DH did just fine hot spotting off his phone when he was doing zoom class in our back shed.  The signal from the wireless internet in the house wasn't strong enough.

• Like 1

gracie1978
Posted (edited)

That should be fine!

Do a test call with a friend tomorrow.

1.6 is fine for a zoom call, people make look a little fuzzy to you if the download speed lags, but your upload speed is fine, they'll be able to see you perfectly.  Is there a spot in your house with the best reception?

Have attached the speed difference between my phone and ADSL wireless

20200712_003212.jpg

Edited by gracie1978

gracie1978

20200712_003403.jpg

overlytired
1 hour ago, MsLaurie said:

I think Teams can work on your phone too... although I haven’t tried it. Perhaps you can just set your phone up on a stand?? Or do you have an iPad or similar with the larger screen?

There's a Teams app. I'd opt for Teams on the phone instead of accessing Teams on the computer and hotspotting from the phone. Agree with PP about doing a test call with someone.

• Like 4

null

Do you know if the call will be a direct call or a conference call? A direct call to someone may perform differently to a conference call because I think a conference call uses the office 365 cloud in some way but a direct call may not (at least for voice/video). The upshot is if you are making a test call to someone, it might be better to test both a conference call and a direct call to someone.

Also Teams has the ability to test the voice call quality and connectivity but only on the desktop app. It is accessible by clicking on your avatar, then Settings, then Devices. There should be an option to make a test call with a Microsoft bot.

To decide if you should you use your computer and tether to your phone or use your mobile device directly, consider doing a speed test on your mobile device and compare it to when you tether your computer and run a speed test.

You also may want to figure out how to re-direct incoming voice calls to voice mail while you are in the meeting because I am not sure Teams does this automatically in the mobile app.

laridae

A mobile broadband device is essentially the same as hot spotting off your phone, 

You could just install the teams app on your phone too. 

you can always turn off video and just have audio if there are speed issues during the call - my work prefers we do that anyway.

• Like 1

gracie1978

More importantly make sure you're looking at, or slightly up at the screen, with light in front if you,  not behind you and that you have a suitable background.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Hands Up

Yep and if using the teams app on your phone have your phone set up at the right angle so it stays stationary (don’t hold it!) and sit back a bit so your head is not taking up the full screen. Ensure the kids are being quiet.

3 hours ago, gracie1978 said:

More importantly make sure you're looking at, or slightly up at the screen, with light in front if you,  not behind you and that you have a suitable background.

Good luck.

• Like 1

mandelbrot

I have interviewed a dozen or more people during this period, and honestly, seeing how you can cope (in a stressful situation) when technology/kids/whatever inevitably stuff up is a great way to get a feel for resilience, team fit, adaptability, that kind of thing. It's also a great ice breaker conversation "I'm hotspotting off my phone, so I apologise if there are hiccups. This remote work thing, such a different world!" etc.

In other words, great tips above but if something goes wrong, it should be okay.

• Like 1

RichardParker
8 hours ago, gracie1978 said:

Good luck.

Someone needs to tell this to all of the experts doing live crosses to news channels- lift the camera up, people. Time has not been kind to your neck, you need to compensate with angles and gravity. 

• Like 3

born.a.girl
2 hours ago, RichardParker said:

Someone needs to tell this to all of the experts doing live crosses to news channels- lift the camera up, people. Time has not been kind to your neck, you need to compensate with angles and gravity. 

Lol.  In the good old days before Covid, I had my eyebrows and eyelashes tinted at someone's home.  Her cats usually settle themselves on me at some point and after the last one in Feb or March, she sent me the photo.  OMG all the wrinkles fell off my 67 year old face and neck.  Shame I can't get my passport photo taken lying on my back.  We've all got an ego, and although ageing is inevitable, it comes to most of our exteriors far sooner than our brains are prepared for.

• Like 1