MsLaurie

If we go back to remote learning...

Hypnic Jerk
On 19/07/2020 at 9:47 PM, Freddie'sMum said:

If NSW follows Melbourne / VIC then I think we will end back in lockdown sooner rather than later.  LB - our year 7 DD was so worried about starting high school and she was just settling in (knowing about going to different classes / making new friends) and then the lockdown happened and she definitely missed school / the structure and routine a lot.  I am not - by nature - a teacher.  I only have 2 kids and I get their names mixed up.  I can't explain how things work - I can understand how X can lead to Y but I can't teach it to a 12 year old.  

I think we all just cancel 2020 - wait 6 months and re-start it again in January 2021.  Push re-set on the calendar and re-do this whole freaking nightmare of a year.

I had to google which is the X and Y axes.

Lucrezia Bauble

NSW here, so hopefully they’re managing things better in victoria - but got my year 3 kids report for semester one today ...(was due last term but - hey - we’re all in this together ) and they reported  30 days absent! he has legitimately been always from school 1/2 a day. the rest was homeschooling which the school can’t be  bothered to record. i’m done. i have been quite a big supporter of public education on here, in the past. but no more. unbelievable - that’s on his bloody record  - 30 days - really? where’s the truancy officer? the teacher and principal signed off on that bullsh*t....i’m being *that* parent on monday - correct the bloody record. serious,y, this would NOT be acceptable in the private sector - did a human write that report or a computer? 

• Confused 1

caitiri

Our school (Vic ) is taking attendance each day.  They are doing it several ways Webex in morning, if you upload work, or send a message via compass you are marked there.  If they hear nothing for a few days they will ring for a welfare check

kerilyntaryn

I wouldn't  worry about  truancy officers, never seen  one and my kids haven't been for way longer than that

lazycritter
On 11/07/2020 at 2:02 PM, gravity1 said:

I was happy with the way our school handled remote learning last time so I would expect to be able to pick up where we left off. It’s very unpopular to say this here, but my DS, who has ASD level 1, absolutely thrived in this environment and would actually prefer to go back to remote learning as his anxiety around the virus is worsening given the situation in Vic at the moment. 

I can tell you my whole family feels like this

• Like 1

lazycritter
Posted (edited)

We're in Vic in the latest restriction area that my best friend calls stage2b.  My DDs school was locked down for almost two weeks I ended up not sending my sons for most of the two weeks most of the anxiety was mine but definitely my sons have been showing their anxiety in other ways. One has regressed into old habits and the other has picked up new habits. 

Now my sister's school is in lockdown even though they are already remote learning (she travels in and out of a hot zone. 2b to 3) but one of the at risk kids tested positive now her school will closed entirely to be deep cleaned.  There are several other schools in this stage 2b region that are getting closed down,  reopened and closed again. But now everyone is required to wear masks is it better or should we just get back to remote learning. 

Edited by lazycritter
Make sense

XieXie

NSW here. We had to send a message on Google Classroom by 9.30am to be marked present. 

I hope they *get rid* of all the tech/app/websites/links/logins! It drove me demented. I have two kids, there’s one of me... I am very tech savvy but it was impossible. Mainly because the kids can’t do it themselves, so you have to sit there with them every minute just to get to the point where you can find the actual work they are supposed to be doing! While also trying to do your own job.

Just give us a frigging workbook to work through! Pen and paper. Work through the day’s work in order, in one workbook. And done. 

seayork2002
Just now, XieXie said:

NSW here. We had to send a message on Google Classroom by 9.30am to be marked present. 

I hope they *get rid* of all the tech/app/websites/links/logins! It drove me demented. I have two kids, there’s one of me... I am very tech savvy but it was impossible. Mainly because the kids can’t do it themselves, so you have to sit there with them every minute just to get to the point where you can find the actual work they are supposed to be doing! While also trying to do your own job.

Just give us a frigging workbook to work through! Pen and paper. Work through the day’s work in order, in one workbook. And done. 

Far out! You wrote it better but that was me exactly!

I agree with your every word

• Like 2

Datrys
1 hour ago, XieXie said:

This time around (in Melbourne) the school offered us an option of a pack of printed materials each week, so I'm guessing many people had similar complaints.  If it comes to that, I hope your school does, too!

• Like 1

kimasa

Because DH's workplace has been shut due to an outbreak and I'm WFH he has taken over online school and I'm just sitting in a different room cackling at what I can hear.

He's currently lost in the book of passwords for all the different apps. They keep logging out each day so I've got them all memorised by now. "WHY DOES EVERY APP KEEP LOGGING OUT?! WHY? THIS MAKES NO SENSE!"

• Haha 2