Lou-bags

What can I make with Greek yoghurt

Lou-bags

These recipes all look amazing... I’m going to need more yoghurt 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Fennel Salad
Posted (edited)

@dadwasathome yeah, wondered this too. My guess is marketing and reckon that Australian stuff holds aspirational brand attributes for consumers there.  Also, i think Australia was one of the first places to make yoghurt and fruit favouring a big thing.   But why oh why do Americans like 0% fat yoghurt i cant understand!!

Eta: forgot to answer ... partially defrosted blueberries with yoghurt on top.... yum!

Edited by Fennel Salad

dadwasathome
33 minutes ago, Fennel Salad said:

@dadwasathome yeah, wondered this too. My guess is marketing and reckon that Australian stuff holds aspirational brand attributes for consumers there.  Also, i think Australia was one of the first places to make yoghurt and fruit favouring a big thing.   But why oh why do Americans like 0% fat yoghurt i cant understand!!

Eta: forgot to answer ... partially defrosted blueberries with yoghurt on top.... yum!

Clean and healthy Australia.

related to the 0% fat yoghurt, also don’t do real double cream. What they call double cream has half the fat content of ours and is still pourable.

Baroness Bubbles

Sugar free jelly, 250ml water and 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt mixed in slowly.

Creamy jelly and is way yummy

doubting thomas

Agree with pp about Tandoori- either chicken or lamb. Also make a homemade raita. Delicious

dadwasathome
1 hour ago, doubting thomas said:

Agree with pp about Tandoori- either chicken or lamb. Also make a homemade raita. Delicious

Ooh, tandoori lamb on yoghurt based flatbread (almost naan)

• Like 2

Sancti-claws
3 hours ago, dadwasathome said:

OT, but does anyone know why most suprmarket yogurt in the USA (or at least several different supermarkets in several states) seems to be "Australian style"? Noosa yoghurt is a huge brand there (one of the owners is from Oz and visited Noosa once), and Wallaby is another.

One would hope it was palatable - I was there in 2014 and all of the yoghurt that we were offered was so sickly sweet!!!

dadwasathome
1 hour ago, Sancti-claws said:

One would hope it was palatable - I was there in 2014 and all of the yoghurt that we were offered was so sickly sweet!!!

I think I was searching for double cream (for Christmas pudding) when I noticed the yoghurt the first time, so didn't taste it. Also slightly distracted by the 30% off all caviar (it was a Wholefoods on Christmas eve.

WE almost walked out of a supermarket in Florida because they had Tim Tams on the shelf - but under the "British Foods" sign :)

• Haha 1

MadMarchMasterchef

You have probably used it by now, but Naan bread uses some.  I think its just the taste recipe.   My family would probably eat a whole tubs worth!!

Lifesgood

We have it as a side for very hot curry or pilaf.

Also yoghurt cake.

Ozquoll

How'd the cooking go Lou-bags?

• Like 1

cardamom

Oh, don't know how I forgot my favourite go-to when I have a whole tub to use - frozen yoghurt! Slightly sweetened yoghurt (it needs to be sweetened to get the right consistency), pureed fruit, squeeze of lemon, churned in the ice cream maker (or just poured into a tub and beaten at regular intervals while freezing) - yum.

Lou-bags
On 10/07/2020 at 7:02 PM, Ozquoll said:

How'd the cooking go Lou-bags?

Finally got to it today (1 day past ‘best before’ so I think we’re all good).

Cooling while we make the lemon syrup. I’m a very average baker so it’s not a pretty cake... cracked and sinking a little right now 😂

I’ll use the rest to make flat breads tomoz (have a slow cooker curry planned). 

EA1622E1-D424-487D-BA21-1518873B8E97.jpeg

• Like 8

joykey
On 10/07/2020 at 1:44 PM, Bethlehem Babe said:

But what do the Greeks buy? I tried Danish yogurt the other day. Amazing. 

Danish yoghurt? Didn't know that was a thing. How is it different?

Ozquoll
On 10/07/2020 at 1:46 PM, Ruby red shoes said:

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/blueberry-yoghurt-cake/b975d5ef-9db3-402e-89be-5801502a2f35

I always get asked for this recipe when I make it. It does brown quite quickly so it does need to be watched and covered in foil.

I just made this one! Took a photo but it's way over the size limit for posting...anyone know how to reduce the file size of a photo on a Motorola phone??!

Anyway, it tastes great, I would recommend trying it 😍

• Like 1

Ruby red shoes
Posted (edited)

https://www.oikosyogurt.com/greek-yogurt-recipes/desserts/spice-cake/
I baked this one today for the kids lunch box’s and dh’s morning tea tomorrow. I haven’t taste tested it yet, but the aroma when cooking was lovely.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/32438/grilled-lemon-and-garlic-yoghurt-chicken.aspx

Tomorrow nights dinner. Have prepared and left to marinate overnight.

Edited by Ruby red shoes

Bethlehem Babe
4 hours ago, joykey said:

Danish yoghurt? Didn't know that was a thing. How is it different?

Some call it Icelandic Skyr I don’t find it as rich as Greek yogurt. 

Slapdasherie
Posted (edited)
On 10/07/2020 at 5:42 AM, FiveAus said:

Flatbread. Equal parts Greek yoghurt to self raising flour, a big pinch of salt, knead (add more SR flour if needed), rest for half an hour then divide and roll out into thin rounds. Fry on a hot dry pan until bubbled and golden then flip and fry the other side. Delicious with curries, or just eaten hot with cheese as a "rollup".

Thanks so much for this recipe, just made some to have with my lentil and tomato soup. And used my chipotle finishing butter from NZ on top.

Delicious

Edited by Slapdasherie