NannyPlumPudding

Lockdown Birthday Present Ideas *30th*

NannyPlumPudding
Posted (edited)

One of my best friends is in lockdown in Melbourne. 

During this time it's her 30th Birthday. Her husband is deployed until the end of the year and her family won't be able to do anything special as they are in lockdown as well. As you can imagine, she is already dreading the day! Spending it with 2 toddlers after already being in lockdown a month. 

I'm in WA so whatever it is, I have to arrange it online/by phone and ideally get make her day extra special.  Previously I have bought her:

1. Flowers and Massage Voucher

2. Blanket with family photos printed on it

3. print of her favourite beach 

4. special decorative candles

5. Little box of skincare stuff. 

6. necklace with little pendants with kids and husband initials

What is something that will make her day extra special? I can find stuff but I'm assuming postage etc. will be quite patchy getting into the state so ideally it needs to be Melbourne based.  My budget is up to $200.  

She is into beachy stuff, yoga etc.  Doesn't really drink.  Loves cheese and cakes BUT she wouldn't like eating it by herself either.  

Please help me EB!

Edited by NannyPlumPudding

klr75

Maybe a nice meal delivered to her house - does she have a favourite restaurant ?  Along with a pamper package to use after the meal, like a facial, or bath bombs, champers, choccies etc

• Like 2

purpleblaze

Maybe treat her to a meal and dessert? I hear Atlantic Group do some nice meals. Otherwise check out the website whats on in Melbourne (Or urban list) to see what other places deliver or some other ideas. Maybe have a bouquet of balloons delivered?

• Like 1

Lou-bags

I’m loving this company for gifts at the moment. Mettle. They are a social enterprise that employ and train women leaving family violence homelessness situations, and work with their partner organizations to make sure they get the support they need to get back on their feet. 

https://www.mettlegifts.com/gift-boxes/biglovebox

Maybe a ‘big love box’ as well as shout her a takeaway dinner. And then maybe something like this for dessert: https://www.billyvancreamy.com.au/menu

Your friend is lucky to have you looking out for her to make her day special at a sh*tty time 😊

• Like 2

kim11

Maybe arrange a birthday party zoom call with friends and family. I did this is with my daughter, although she was only turning 13.  With people in the same city I delivered the same cupcakes, party hats and a goodie bag to some friends. I also picked up birthday presents they had for her. Then I little notes that said thank you for joining in on her virtual 13th birthday.  But we weren't in complete lockdown 

I know you can't do that from another state but maybe something similar. Contact some friends and family. Get them to get party hats and horns or decorations etc if possible. If they can make a cake for her etc. Decorate like it would a family birthday dinner. Then everyone go on a zoom call at the same time to say happy birthday. Even if it is all homemade decorations and banners etc. 

I also had a friend turn 50 during quarantine. A friend from another country made a What's App group and we all submitted short videos wishing her a happy birthday which the original friend put together in a montage. Plus we had to sing a song she used to like to sing way back when in the bars and they made that into a music video. She really treasured that. Some people did a full on video with costumes etc and others just had their family say Happy Birthday and a few nice words etc. If you are technoligically minded you could make this work. We did it from all over the world so didn't need to be in the same area. 

• Like 1

BrainFart

For family bdays this year I bought a cake and candles, then called them on zoom singing happy birthday. A little bit naff but has gone down a treat with family members. 

For a  friend I’ve sent them a cheese & wine basket, there’s a lot of companies doing this so I’m sure there would be options for WA for this kind of service (I’m in Sydney)

• Like 1

Mooples

My mum turned 60 during the first lock down. My sister and I asked all her friends and family for a little story / birthday message / photo they had and compiled them all together into a nice scrap book along with a heap of photos we chose too. We were going to do a photo book but it was a last minute idea so we didn’t have time. Our original idea was to get 60 messages for 60 years but with the short notice we didn’t quite get there. 30 is much more doable. She loved it and cried reading every message especially the ones from the grandchildren, we asked them a few questions about the things they like doing with nana and what nana is good at, their answers were so funny. 

• Like 1

ckmelb

https://milkthecow.com.au

Cheese and wine delivered. They have hampers but I chose the products myself and sent one and it was cheaper and nicer

kingandgodfree.com/product-category/

Similar but broader range of goods. This is a well known Italian deli

https://www.brunetti.com.au/celebration-cakes/?v=3a1ed7090bfa

Get her a beautiful cake from Brunetti, they deliver now

• Like 1

NannyPlumPudding

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I have ordered a couple of little things to be delivered (a bag and a dreamcatcher from her favourite homeware store).

I think the dinner idea is a great one! She lives right down the Mornington Peninsula and from what I can see, ubereats doesn't deliver. Can someone please let me know of any good restaurants in the area that will deliver? 

onetrick

Lots of the wineries/ breweries had delivery and pick up options last time which looked amazing! You could use Google maps to find a close one? I looked into it for my mums bday (in McCrae), but she lives alone and most of the things were for 2 and I thought that might be a bit sad...

You sound like an amazing friend, though! You've done well and I'm sure your friend will love anything that you send her!