purpleduck

Sneaky gluten.....

purpleduck

Recently went GF and for the most part it's ok, but have been surprised at some of the items that are not gluten free.

- Vegemite - GF vegemite now available

- oyster sauce - need to check labels as some brands don't contain gluten but aren't labelled as "gluten free"

- worcestershire sauce - same labelling issue as above

- icecream :( - obviously flavour dependent but some of the ones with gluten in them are not the usual "cookie" ones, so always check

- corn flakes and rice bubbles - brand dependent

- those new Nescafe powdered coffees - some have oat flour in them

- freakin oats :( I know some people can eat them ok, but its been ruled out for me and annoys me to no end

Please feel free to add yours and if you have found a GF alternative!

Not Escapin Xmas

Wait until you’ve been doing this for a while and discover something you thought was ok has changed!! The joys.

DD is really enjoying GF Special K and I eat GF Weetbix every day.

seayork2002

I know I should probably know this but I dont, grated cheese supermarkets sell has potato starch in it - I am not sure if that has gluten or not

Please do not rely on this being accurate please check before believing me!

ytt

DD has actually been enjoying Abbots GF bread (new to diagnosis), she will only eat it as toast. lol I don't blame her!  DD has been enjoying scrambled eggs or avocado on toast the last few mornings. Normally she won't eat breakfast and eat poorly during the day, still working on her junk food addiction, at least we can now say no more.... Coke on the other hand :(.

I checked the grated cheese tonight that I put in the dinner for gluten, it said only contains milk on the allergy advice.... 

KTB73

Be careful with icing sugar and make sure you get 'pure'.  Icing sugar mixture has flour in it.

• Like 2

Not Escapin Xmas
16 minutes ago, KTB73 said:

Be careful with icing sugar and make sure you get 'pure'.  Icing sugar mixture has flour in it.

It’s GF flour In most mixed. Just check the packet. Pure icing sugar is horrible to work with.

Not Escapin Xmas

Oh, and we have been making the most delicious chicken schnitzel! Keep the ends of the gf bread and then blitz them up in the food processor. they are bloody delicious!!

• Like 3

Keepswimming

Lindt chocolate.

Lots of mars brand chocolates.

Soy sauce. 

Mint sauce

notsoretro

The  Coles own brand soy sauce used to be GF, so much cheaper than buying tamari. Then they changed the recipe.....Same with their corn flakes, ugh

Hands Up

We are trialling a gluten free diet for DS1. So many things that can trip you up....

we like the Abbott brand gluten free bread and the Coles brand corn flakes. The Coles brand cookies are great too. 

Id love to find something sweet like lollies that are gluten free if anyone has tips? 

Prancer is coming

Gravox blows my mind.  The tins are gf.  The bigger box isn’t.  It is the same product in a different size, one would think ingredients would be the same.  You need to check everything.

Oats are not deemed gf in Australia, for coeliac’s purposes.  They are in USA, so keep that in mind if you are folding recipes from the US.

purpleduck
10 hours ago, Hands Up said:

We are trialling a gluten free diet for DS1. So many things that can trip you up....

we like the Abbott brand gluten free bread and the Coles brand corn flakes. The Coles brand cookies are great too. 

Id love to find something sweet like lollies that are gluten free if anyone has tips? 

I think you just need to check if the lollies have wheat based glucose syrup. My understanding is that it is ok to eat those but do your own research. I “think” the Coeliac Australia page has some info on that. Basically the amount of gluten in the glucose syrup “should” be that small it shouldn’t cause a reaction but obviously that won’t necessarily work for all people. 

wallofdodo

Corn flour, not all corn flour is GF.

Tea, not all tea is GF you need to contact the companies.

Potato starch is GF. 

Other things to be aware of is Shampoo (if you are like me and always end up getting it in your mouth) toothpaste, lipstick/balm (but really that is only minor) 

Some chocolate 

Why are you going GF? Cause you will need to learn to read labels, and if you are coeliac don't eat anything with a 'May Contain' statement. Coeliac Australia have a great app that tells you if ingredients are GF or not. 

wallofdodo
1 hour ago, purpleduck said:

I think you just need to check if the lollies have wheat based glucose syrup. My understanding is that it is ok to eat those but do your own research. I “think” the Coeliac Australia page has some info on that. Basically the amount of gluten in the glucose syrup “should” be that small it shouldn’t cause a reaction but obviously that won’t necessarily work for all people. 

Yeah, glucose from wheat is GF for the main part, CA has change their statement on it, which I find really confusing.  Wheat Dextrose is also GF. 

MadMarchMasterchef

Im having dinner tonight with a friend who is GF.   Some kinds of takeaway chook have it in, maybe its in the seasoning.  But if you call the chicken shop they can make sure you get a GF one. 

wallofdodo

It can also be in the basting for roast chicken

Not Escapin Xmas

And chips! OMG, I was so shocked to discover that LOTs of chips have gluten on them. I mean 'beer battered' is kind of obvious, but you have to check every single time.

purpleduck
1 hour ago, wallofdodo said:

Corn flour, not all corn flour is GF.

Tea, not all tea is GF you need to contact the companies.

Potato starch is GF. 

Other things to be aware of is Shampoo (if you are like me and always end up getting it in your mouth) toothpaste, lipstick/balm (but really that is only minor) 

Some chocolate 

Why are you going GF? Cause you will need to learn to read labels, and if you are coeliac don't eat anything with a 'May Contain' statement. Coeliac Australia have a great app that tells you if ingredients are GF or not. 

Cornflour and tea??? Really? :( Do you mean infused teas or just regular?

a letter to Elise.
14 minutes ago, purpleduck said:

Cornflour and tea??? Really? :( Do you mean infused teas or just regular

Most tea is fine. I’ve only seen it in flavoured teas, and not very often. 

as far as lollies go, most Kmart lollies, haribo gummies, and skittles are gluten free 

FiveAus

Ice cream is simply churned and frozen custard so yes, they would have some sort of thickening agent in them.

wallofdodo

Normal tea too, apparently they put flour on the blades to chop the tea. This is what I was told years ago. Twinings is apparently fine.

KTB73

Thanks @Not Escapin Xmas Hadn't checked recently. DH has been coeliac for 20 yrs so I have just given up on some things.  

Fountain Soy Sauce is GF and cheaper than Tamari

• Like 1

Not Escapin Xmas

No probs :) It only changed in the last 5 years and I STILL got caught out recently!!