Dadto2

Neighbour throwing cigarette butts into my garden

Dadto2

I have 3 neighbours, the rear neighbours are on a block much higher up than mine so I guess they feel a bit detached, like they don't have a neighbour which may explain their behaviour? Anyway I've been finding butts in my garden for a while now and have been binning them. Now I'm finding whole cigarettes, one which was still lit. I went round to see them a few times, but no-one answered the door. I'm not expecting a positive response  and assuming I don't get one,  what would the next step be? Council? 

~LemonMyrtle~

Erect a large screen? 

I think you can report littering via the EPA, cigarette butts in particular carry heavy fines if they’re still lit. 

• Like 5

got my tinsel on

collect them and return them to their letter box.

• Like 16
  • Haha 3

Heather11
9 minutes ago, got my tinsel on said:

I was going to suggest the same but then are they likely to send them back to you.?

I would at the very least leave a note in their letter box seeing as you haven't been able to speak to them personally.

I absolutely despise smokers who obviously don't think that dropping butts on the ground is littering.  I'm not sure why they think it is any different to throwing a junk food wrapper or cup on the ground.

• Like 5

born.a.girl
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure passive-aggressive, tempting as it is, is likely to have any other effect on the sort of people who do that in the first place, than to up the ante.

Might be worth checking with council what your rights are, first.

Edited by born.a.girl
efs
  • Like 3

kadoodle

Yeet them back over the fence.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Paddlepop
4 hours ago, got my tinsel on said:

This. Did similar to a neighbouring smoking unit in the building I live in. They'd drop their cigarette butts off their balcony into my courtyard. Lazy sh*ts. DH and I collected a whole bunch of them and dumped them at their front door. We were simply returning their belongings to them. p*ssed them off but we didn't have many butts dropped after that. We were happy to see them move out. 

Dirty rude inconsiderate littering bastards. 

• Like 5

got my tinsel on

Our d***head neighbour occasionally throws some of his crap into our yard.  We toss it back.  Keeps him quiet for another year or two.

• Like 1

ksds

Our neighbour did this, we just chucked them back over. They were in the yard once when we did it and actually said, “wtf” and we said, “exactly”. Stopped after that. Can’t say they were nice neighbours in any way though.

• Like 12

Charli73

Can you get a video of it happening for proof? 
I would probably throw them back joe collect and leave on doorstep.. 

seayork2002

Tell them you work for the state forensic office and will DNA test it or something along those lines

• Like 1

rosie28

Report them to the EPA for littering, each time they do it, and to the Council.

• Like 3

spr_maiden

Ewwwww, piggish.  

I know mum made exBIL rebuild the fence and paint it at his expense when his disposed cig butt started a fire in the garden. Not sure if that will help you though...

Lifesgood

Get your youngest kid to write them a letter in childish scrawl asking them to please stop, explaining why what they are doing is not right. Leave it in their letterbox.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jenflea

Next door's dog used to poo on my front yard, so we'd just get a shovel and launch it back over onto theirs. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Newdisplayname

Do you think they are being blown into your yard and the neighbours don’t know? Maybe a note and if it doesn’t stop dump them on their doormat. 

MadMarchMasterchef

Yeah lit cigarette butts is a serious issue.  I would try the council or EPA.   If you are on fb you could ask in local fb group as somebody may have dealt with the same issue and will know what to do.  Seriously do people not watch the news or something!  We live in a bushfire prone country! 

• Like 1

Lime-Polka-Dot

It's just not ok for them to do that. Definitely report to the EPA it's a huge fine, but you may need proof for them to follow through. I've seen the threads about smokers on EB and I know they're considered to be disgusting people.

I am embarrassed to put my hand up and admit I am a smoker, but I am extremely aware of how my smoking impacts on other people. If I am in public, I will move somewhere that I am far away from others and if there is no where to sensibly dispose of the butt I will ensure it is completely extinguished and put it back into the packet until I am home / can dispose of it properly. 

• Like 3

123Tree

No help but my friend lives in a block of apartments all with balconies and car park at the bottom.  Neighbours above chuck their cigarette butts off all the time. There was a resident that had a motorcycle that he rode mostly on weekends so had a nylon cover over it to keep the dust off (like they sell at Supercheap Auto). 

Cigarette ignited the cover, the motorbike was a right off and now the smokers won't pay.

• Sad 2

*Marty*
2 hours ago, 123Tree said:

Cigarette ignited the cover, the motorbike was a right off and now the smokers won't pay.

Insurance - as in, will the insurance company follow up on this?  What about body corporate?  They might be liable too...

magic_marker

Someone is hiding that they're smoking from their partner?

A teenage sneaking around trying not to get caught in the act?

Hiding the evidence and not answering the door seems like the other way of not getting caught.

• Like 1

123Tree
On 18/07/2020 at 4:41 PM, *Marty* said:

Insurance - as in, will the insurance company follow up on this?  What about body corporate?  They might be liable too...

I am not sure of all the details because my friend wasn't involved, she just lives above and below the appartments involved. But she said that the body corporate was coming down on the smoker and that tensions were high in the building because everyone sympathised with the motorcycle owner and were cranky at the upstairs people.  

I just thought I would share because it is one thing to smoke, but I can't understand why entitled people think it is ok to chuck their filth around and expect the rest of the world to deal with it.

Luci
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 123Tree said:

I am not sure of all the details because my friend wasn't involved, she just lives above and below the appartments involved. But she said that the body corporate was coming down on the smoker and that tensions were high in the building because everyone sympathised with the motorcycle owner and were cranky at the upstairs people.  

I just thought I would share because it is one thing to smoke, but I can't understand why entitled people think it is ok to chuck their filth around and expect the rest of the world to deal with it.

If the bike was insured and the owner submitted a claim then the insurance company would most likely seek to recoup their losses. But if the bike and it's cover were so badly burned that it was "written off" it would probably be difficult to prove how the fire started, let alone who actually threw the cigarette butt.  

Edited by Luci

Baily

I’m thinking teenagers or someone who is trying to hide they are smoking.  It was the whole lit cigarette that made me think that.  Like they threw it away so they didn’t get caught.  Then tossing the butts so they are also not seen. 

Kiwi Bicycle

My neighbour was hiding his smoking from his wife. Everyday he'd drive down the long drive, stop at the mailbox and light up. I would only hope by the end of the day his clothing didn't smell, otherwise she would know.