GabsLi

Dog barking constantly waking baby

GabsLi

Ok, I seriously want to murder these 2 dogs 2 houses down. The owner recently got the 2nd dog and they bark every time someone walks past and as the house is on an easement, that's every 5 minutes. Thing is, this is really starting to screw up baby's naps; I know because for the part fortnight,  I've taken to checking the monitor every time they bark and yep, his eyes fly open and head pops up. This literally happened for an entire hour yesterday with poor bub trying and trying to go back to sleep. In the end, he ended up screaming because he couldn't, and was an overtired wreck for the rest of the day. They bark at night as well and wake him then too.

How would you mamas deal with this? I know in my heart of hearts that it's unreasonable to demand they be kept indoors all day when the owners aren't home. But seriously, they are ruining my life and bub's as well. 

TinyGiraffe

I haven't had this exact scenario so apologies if this is useless but for my DD at 2y/o we still use a white noise machine for all sleeps. We previously lived in an appt next door to a pub when she was a newborn and she would be woken by kegs getting delivered, bottles taken out etc and the white noise smoothed the disruptions so she no longer woke. We now have a noisy neighbour with kids screaming, dog barking and lots of renovations and it makes a big difference for us.

• Like 2

123Tree

I'd start by keeping a diary of when they bark and how long for. That way if you need to report it to the council then you will be able to back up your complaints with evidence. You have my sympathy, it sounds pretty sucky.

• Like 5

PocketIcikleflakes

I think there's a number of factors in this. How much noise is there generally where you live and is the amount of dog noise excessive.

If you believe it's is excessive there are two options.

1) Get in contact with the owner.

2) Get in contact with your local Rangers/council.

In my experience doing option 1) means still ending up doing option 2) and when doing 2) they ask if you've tried contacting the owners but at least the problem is recorded.

If you google your local area and "dog noise" you should find something about the process. And you should be able to speak to someone without having to formally Lodge a complaint.

I'd recommend speaking to your relevant authorities first though as some only accept noise diaries from the point that you've made the complaint not before.

• Like 2

~LemonMyrtle~

Write the neighbours a letter very politely asking them to shut their dogs up. They may not realise they’re barking so much. When that doesn’t work, go to your local council and have a diary, time dates, and for how long did the dog bark for, as evidence. Record every bark in the diary, day or night.

or skip the letter and go straight to council, say you’re too scared to confront the neighbours because you’re home alone all day with young kids and you need their help.

Barking dogs annoy me so much. 

• Like 3

*Andi*

I had a similar situation in my old house when DD1 was a baby. It drove me spare! It was a huge dog and would bark All. Day. Long when the owners were at work. It was right outside her window too. Just a constant loud bark every few seconds. Visitors to my house were surprised that I had a dog. Nope, just super loud! 

I had a feeling they didn't know as it never barked when they were home. Initially I did the white noise and jamming some material in the window sill. I'd get so worked up and march over there when it was happening, but of course they were never home 😂 I eventually worked up the courage to go over at night and told them, they were horrified! And did something that mostly stopped the barking. 

I did get a call from the council after I spoke to the neighbours, investigating the complaint that someone else had made about the dog. I let them know that I had spoken to the owners and they had taken action. And I mentioned it to the owners so they didn't think it was me! 

• Like 2

Crazyone26989

I definitely think white noise/lullaby music could help. We live in an apartment in a main road so it gets quite noisy. We had new neighbours move in when DS was 3 months old and it took him a few weeks but now he sleeps through the neighbour child body slamming the shared wall! 

Dianalynch

Agree with others, call the council for advice, and white noise in the meantime. There’s also good ‘sleep music’ on apps like Calm. 

Heather11
Posted (edited)

I had a friend who had no idea that her dog was causing a disruption to the neighbours with all its barking.  After being told by one of the neighbours they set up video/noise recording for when they were out and were horrified.  

I would politely advise the neighbours. I'm wondering if they got the 2nd dog to be a playmate after being told the first one was barking.

I would also ring the council.  Let them know you have contacted the owners and will be keeping a diary.

Edited by Heather11
  • Like 1

GabsLi

Thank you SO much ladies, I will call the council to chat first as I'm a wimp and a bit nervous about chatting to the neighbor! I'll likely be asked to record the bark diary, as you've all suggested

• Like 1

FiveAus

Our dogs were supposedly barking when we were at work and we had no idea. They were asleep when we left and asleep when we got home. It wasn't unreasonable to think they spent their days napping while we were working. The first we knew was when we got a card from the council in our door to let us know the dogs were barking.

We immediately made moves to stop them by separating them. Had the neighbours approached us, we'd have done the same thing but also asked them to let us know if what we tried was working.

Our situation escalated because of the lack of communication from the neighbours and the uselessness of the council ranger who made notes that he had contacted me to discuss the situation and did no such thing. He also noted that he'd visited our place and left a second card with a request to contact, and he also did no such thing as we were home all day on the date he said he'd been here.

We now have all but one dog inside the house all day, he stays in the pergola with a camera so I can monitor him through the day. He doesn't bark.

Strangely though, when the other three adjoining neighbours were contacted by the council, they had no complaints at all. Said they never heard the dogs, day or night. The complaining neighbour had said they barked at night which they absolutely do not because they sleep in our room and I'd be the first to complain if they barked at night.

Our camera records the movement and noise and if the council comes calling again, I have video proof that our dogs don't bark.

• Like 1

Hypnic Jerk

My neighbours rehomed their sausage dogs due to their barking - after they had their own baby.

I cannot tell you how much this p*ssed me off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

can'tstayaway

We have a large dog that we keep indoors when we are out. I’m pretty sure if we left him outside, he would patrol the fence line and bark at everyone going past. 

Are you planning on doing any home improvements in the near future?  One of our neighbor’s dog barks and whines all day while they are out. It is loud if we have our windows open. With good insulation and laminated glass, we can barely hear the dog with windows closed. It’s an annoyance to have to close up and turn on the air con due to the dog but some days we need that quiet to be able to work. Even just doing the baby’s room plus white noise might help.