Hypnic Jerk

today's devices - updated she wants a pedometer/watch

can'tstayaway
12 minutes ago, Hands Up said:

If you are getting an iPad or similar you might as well get her a phone. Kids these days use messaging apps rather than text anyway.

I agree with this. Our teens have iPhones and no iPads now. They don’t miss their iPad and much prefer their phones. The primary aged child has an iPad but not free access to the iPhone. 

You can set restrictions on iOS now to control what they can and can’t access as well as how much time.

I had a daily time limit for Insta for my DD which have her just enough time to stay socially active but not so much she was mindlessly scrolling. We have to approve every app she installs - it comes as a message to our phone and we have to approve it within a certain amount of time or the request expires. It was a straight out no for Snapchat. 

I also have a rule about since we are providing them these devices (accounts are in my name) and while they are still under the age of majority, I reserve the right to check on them at any time I want. They have to supply me with all their passwords and codes. I don’t often snoop, but they know I can at anytime if I want to. It keeps my mind at ease when I can see the sort of chatter that’s occurring. I won’t bring up stuff I’ve read unless they do so first which is less awkward for them. There’s only been one instance where I have intervened to tell them that they needed to explicitly call out a comment, and then remove themselves from the chat group. 

We also having a charging station near our kitchen and strict rules about devices needing to docked at bedtime. We have a zero tolerance rule for devices being snuck into bedrooms at night. It’s ugly but I like being able to see all devices in their spot at a glance. 

Hypnic Jerk

This is why she won't be getting a phone.  When she goes to secondary school next year (on the assumption that school will exist next year!) I'll provide her with a phone to use, but I won't make it a gift.  Phones are a little tricky in our house as her older brother has a disability, to some extent,  but we try to keep him roughly age-appropriate which means we try to give these freedoms/responsibilities at the same time

Hypnic Jerk

Update:  I broke the rules and spoke to her about it.  All she actually wants is a wrist pedometer that has the time.  She doesn’t want anything that can take photos or would need to be handed in at school- Victoria Dept Ed policy.

im not sure such simple things exist 

Kiwi Bicycle

Yes, she just wants a basic Fitbit or Garmin watch. 

amdirel

DD got a fitbit at a similar age. She wanted one that counted steps and tracked sleep, so that's what she got. 

dadwasathome

DS12 bought his Garmin mostly to log his steps.

my only concern is that it was a reasonably expensive version, and is about to be replaced for the second time in just over a year

Kreme
Posted (edited)

There’s no point in an Apple Watch without a phone. They are linked together. DD14 just got an Apple Watch for her birthday and loves it. She has various apps like her period app and her school timetable app on it. She is at a NSW public school that allows phones.

We have given up on Fitbits as they just kept breaking. Between 4 of us we’ve had 6 or 7 and every one of them has barely lasted a year before it just stopped recharging for no reason. Maybe try a Garmin?

eta: just noticed dadwasathome’s post. Sounds like Garmins aren’t any better than fitbits!

Edited by Kreme

Lesley225

I've had fitbits for years and they've never broken, i've only ever got a new one as i wanted to update

DogsLife

We all have Garmin in this house as they don't need to be charged and have only replaced one as it got lost in the surf.  They aren't overly expensive for the basic version - under $100.