Hypnic Jerk

today's devices - updated she wants a pedometer/watch

Hypnic Jerk
Posted (edited)

Our iPad is old and can't support a lot of the modern stuff.  DD's birthday is soon and has been impacted by Melbourne's lockdown.  I've ordered her some sports stuff but I'm now thinking of adding to it and a screen of some description should brighten her up. I'm out of the loop with all this stuff.

What about an apple watch?  Could that be usefull for a kid going into secondary school?

Edited by Hypnic Jerk
Further information

JLCJ

Does she read?  If so, maybe a Kindle?

dadwasathome

I would't have thought that an Apple watch would be useful per se, but its certainly an option. DS12 saved up for his own Garmin which he had linked to his phone (but the battery has died, and he's now angling for an Apple watch)

You mentioned the ipad - would updating that be more practical?

He's also asking for a Kindle (although we're a Kobo family otherwise). If your DD is a reader it's a great device option.

hills mum bec

I think an Apple watch can be useful but not necessarily entertaining.  I find them handy to be able to receive text messages and emails and the whole fitness tracker aspect of it is great but if I was a teenager in lock down then something like an iphone or ipad would be a lot more entertaining.

• Like 3

mumbag
Posted (edited)

Does she have a phone? I would say going into secondary school, a decent phone is the most useful tech they can have. If she already has an iPhone then the Apple watch would be a good choice, both as a status item and practical for health monitoring etc with sports.

Edited to add: our most used tech after the phone is the iPad with Pencil, so if she's into drawing at all, a new iPad compatible with the Apple Pencil is another option.

Edited by mumbag
  • Like 2

dadwasathome
11 minutes ago, mumbag said:

Does she have a phone? I would say going into secondary school, a decent phone is the most useful tech they can have. If she already has an iPhone then the Apple watch would be a good choice, both as a status item and practical for health monitoring etc with sports.

Edited to add: our most used tech after the phone is the iPad with Pencil, so if she's into drawing at all, a new iPad compatible with the Apple Pencil is another option.

Very true - I assumed she'd have a phone already. I'd definitly put the phone above the watch.

• Like 1

Meepy

If she uses the Apple Watch as a phone at school it will be confiscated - they are not allowed to use phones at school.  

• Like 2

Hypnic Jerk

No phone.  And won’t be getting one (yet).

so a kindle might be the way to go.  Does that mean we’d be locked in to paying $30/book?  She’s an avid reader and likes Cassandra Clare books, author of the Shadow Hunters series.

amdirel
17 minutes ago, Meepy said:

If she uses the Apple Watch as a phone at school it will be confiscated - they are not allowed to use phones at school.  

Depends on the school. Hasn't been the case in my experience. 

Hypnic Jerk

DH has nixed the e-reader.  Says she’s old-school like her mother

dadwasathome
10 minutes ago, Hypnic Jerk said:

DH has nixed the e-reader.  Says she’s old-school like her mother

I was about to say that pricing depends - most are a little cheaper, some much cheaper than paperback (at least via amazon).

Not a lot of help about other devices. DS12 only find his Garmin useful beaciuse it's linked to his phone (can receive texts but can't be used for calls)

Bereckii
1 hour ago, Hypnic Jerk said:

so a kindle might be the way to go.  Does that mean we’d be locked in to paying $30/book?  She’s an avid reader and likes Cassandra Clare books, author of the Shadow Hunters series.

I think with most Kindles you are locked into purchasing books.

We deliberately got a Kobo as it's possible to borrow books from the library when using a Kobo. It is a little fiddly when doing it for the first time (it does need to be done via a laptop, you can't borrow directly via the Kobo - at least you can't with ours), but once you get the hang of it it works smoothly.

Note: my information might be a bit out of date (our Kobo is a couple of years old), newer versions might have different capacity.

• Like 1

JLCJ

Kindle also has Daily and Monthly Deals... usually for 0.99c/book.  They can be a bit hit and miss but I have found some real gems that way.

• Like 1

Soho

I went KOBO for library borrowing as well. Once it's set up it works well. The best part is you can borrow remotely from home - many a late night or last minute borrowing has been done here.

• Like 1

BusbyWilkes

Why no phone? At that age, in lockdown, it would be a perfect cheer her up/you’re a big kid gift. You could always limit her data/sites to access if these were your concerns.

I am also a prolific reader who loves real books. However my kindle also gets a lot of use. As PP mentioned, I get a lot of $1-2 kindle books to keep me busy 8n between in more expensive real ones.

• Like 3

*bucket*

I have a Kindle, but these days read more on the Kindle app on my phone. I find the Kindle a bit heavy, or something. So a phone could cover a Kindle as well. Or an updated iPad might be an idea. An Apple watch isn't really that special if you don't have an iPhone.  My DD definitely uses her phone a lot, but we did restrict her access to WiFi and 4G so she couldn't use it overnight, and we did restrict access to some sites.

Dianalynch
2 hours ago, amdirel said:

Depends on the school. Hasn't been the case in my experience. 

It’s all public schools in Victoria, state wide policy, although I’m not sure where the op is from 

• Like 2

Hypnic Jerk

Melbourne 

will be avoiding phones for now

overlytired

If you get her a phone or a tablet / iPad, she can add both the Kindle and Kobo apps (+ other e-reading ones) to read books as well as do all the other things the device can do.

• Like 3

Redchick2

I agree with PPs that a new iPad is the way to go. It is absolutely amazing all the new content that you will be able to access. 

I would say thought that I absolutely adore my kindle (and have never paid $30 for a book) because of the eye friendly screen so I don’t think the kindle app on the iPad is a good substitute. 

• Like 3

*Andi*
12 minutes ago, Redchick2 said:

I agree with PPs that a new iPad is the way to go. It is absolutely amazing all the new content that you will be able to access. 

I would say thought that I absolutely adore my kindle (and have never paid $30 for a book) because of the eye friendly screen so I don’t think the kindle app on the iPad is a good substitute. 

I agree, I wouldn't be encouraging a lot of reading on a phone or tablet, terrible for your eyes! 

• Like 1

teejay

I don't think an Apple Watch would be very useful unless you have an iPhone to connect it to. Even the updates are all controlled through your phone 

• Like 2

Hands Up

If you are getting an iPad or similar you might as well get her a phone. Kids these days use messaging apps rather than text anyway.

• Like 1

hills mum bec
17 hours ago, Hypnic Jerk said:

Get a Kobo instead of a Kindle because then you can borrow ebooks from the library.  I think the Kindle can only be used to buy books from Amazon.

hills mum bec
10 minutes ago, Hands Up said:

If you are getting an iPad or similar you might as well get her a phone. Kids these days use messaging apps rather than text anyway.

This is true.  I don't think my teenagers ever use their phones to make phone calls, it's all snap chat or whatever the "in" messaging app is.