Excercise Enthusia

Baby Sprinkle for 2nd pregnancy -

Excercise Enthusia

Morning!

Is it in bad taste to hold a small party to celebrate your second child/pregnancy (a "sprinkle") if

- No Gifts required is communicated to all guests

- it is held by the expectant mother at her own house

- it is decorated and themed just as nicely as the first Baby Shower?

- guest list is immediate family and close friends only

Thankyou!

tinselfoil hat

Congratulations on your pregnancy. Yeah I would say bad taste (sorry). With my only child, I had a bbq close to the birth and was clear that it wasn’t baby related. I ended up with a massive pile of very generous gifts. I was clearly overwhelmed, and a couple of shrugged and said they couldn’t turn up empty handed so close to the birth. I think people will feel they have to bring a gift even if you ask them not too, especially if it’s decorated like a baby shower. 

Bugster

I would happily attend one for family/friends. I would be unlikely to hold one for myself but I am not a big party/gathering person (and also possibly the most disorganised individual ever so poor kid would be 18 before I got round to it 🤣

• Like 2

Jenflea

I'd go. 

I think every new baby deserves to be welcomed and celebrated, but I also would state no gifts.  But be prepared for gifts galore!

• Like 4

eponee

Dont bother telling people not to bring gfts - they'll bring them anyway

• Like 1

Silverstreak

Go for it, it sounds nice!

Not Escapin Xmas

No it’s not bad taste! You’re inviting people around for a bbq or arvo tea or whatever. Sounds great! Def say ‘no gifts’ just don’t expect anyone to listen :)

• Like 1

Sweet.Pea

You could do a 'sip and see' after the baby is born. That way everyone gets to meet the new addition and it isn't so much like a baby shower.

Prancer is coming

I don’t think it is bad taste.  Nice reason to have a get together, particularly after all the time in lockdown.  And if you say no presents, definitely no place for comments around it being a present grab. 

seayork2002

If you don't want gifts then i am not sure the point of a baby theme is?, personally I am presuming people know you are pregnant so I would just have a get together/bbq (if virus appropriate)

I am sure the baby will be talked about anyway

• Like 4

Lou-bags

Look I wouldn’t, personally, as I’m on the ‘baby showers celebrate the mother not the baby’ side of the fence. 

But if you do, perhaps don’t call it a sprinkle, which implies gifts. At a baby shower you shower mum with gifts, so presumably a baby sprinkle similarly implies you are going to sprinkle her with gifts (that are smaller than for a baby ‘shower’?). 

But I don’t think close friends and family are going to be too worried about bad taste either way as I suspect they would be happy to catch up anyway. 

• Like 1

Hands Up

If you go ahead, don’t call it a sprinkle! Just say “let’s get together before the baby arrives” and leave it at that

Cerridwen

A "sprinkle" is a thing? 😵

Marinated.
Posted (edited)

I wouldn't consider it bad taste - especially if you hosted it and specified that no gifts are wanted.

It's a chance to celebrate the good news of the new baby-to-be, and to get together with close friends and family. 

Edited by Marinated.

-Emissary-

I don’t think it’s bad taste and I’d definitely go. 

Ignore all the haters and just celebrate your second child how you want to. I’m sure your friends and family would be supportive :)

• Like 4

amdirel

I agree a 'sprinkle' implies gifts.

Just have a bbq or a get together. 

Just an idea, a good way to not be bombarded with gifts, is to tell people who ask, to just gift their favourite children's book. A friend did this and it worked brilliantly, because the guest still got to buy a gift, it was something meaningful to them, and also my friend didn't end up with a huge pile of presents!

Tinky Winky Woo

I wouldn't have one, and I don't feel that I would go.  I especially wouldn't be going given that I am exposed to possible CV infection daily and you being pregnant would be a concern to me being around you.  

luke's mummu

I think it’s fine. I’d go. I think “ sprinkle” suggests a small gift, so I’d probably buy a packet of wipes or nappies. 

Soontobegran

I'd go, I don't care what you call it.  IMO there is nothing bad taste about a get together to celebrate mum or baby unless you have a registry with expensive gifts only on it and I don't think they are big in Australia.

Enjoy yourself and good luck.

• Like 1

nom_de_plume

I don't think it's bad taste either. Everyone loves to celebrate a new baby.

I did nothing for my second (very close to my first), but did have a 'Baby-Q' (just a BBQ) when I was pregnant with the third. We had just moved house, so it also doubled as a housewarming.

I stated no gifts, but people still brought them. There was no baby theme, games etc. Just a BBQ with our family and friends.

It was a fantastic day and everyone enjoyed themselves.

JomoMum

I personally don’t like them. I didn’t have one for either of our boys. 

I agree with others who have suggested just a general get together - which is really what you’re after with no gifts anyway, isn’t it? 

onetrick

We had a combined celebration for my almost 2yo (rather than a bday party with a newborn), yet to be born baby, and me :)

no regrets as this was early March before the world got crazy and my newborn has hardly met anyone (so a sip n see wouldnt have worked), and my 2yos bday was in the middle of the first lockdown. At least this way I feel like we sort of got to celebrate my kids...

I'm all for celebrating as much as you want, as long as you dont have the expectation of presents.

The only thing that might be bad taste is due to restrictions if someone was unable to come due to illness etc. If there was anyone immunocompromised etc.