Sign in to follow this  
Jaffa donuts

Can I block youtube access?

Jaffa donuts

As the question says.  Is it possible to block access to youtube on individual  devices?

With the kids being home again back on lock down,  I am feeling the need to exert some control, preferably without having to remove devices altogether, seeing as they are used for so many things.

Thanks

Bono25

There's a way to block channels, but I can't remember how. I blocked a heap of the Ryan channels a while ago. But we also have an app to limit the amount of time, which works pretty well, but our kids are still young

Paddlepop

Yes, you can block it via your modem. Google the model of your modem/router and you should be able to find out how to do it. You can block specific websites for individual devices. I'm not sure how you'd go about blocking the YouTube app though. Make sure you have a password on your modem settings or else the children will probably just go in and alter the settings. 

• Like 2

MadMarchMasterchef

What devices specifically, are they using apps or browsers?

Do you know what model of modem / router you have?    Some allow fine tuning of access to  sites. 

Jaffa donuts
Posted (edited)

On the back of the modem it says  technicolor TG789vac V2. We are with iiNet.

I do log in via the gateway (?) 10.1.1.1 and restrict the times the kids' devices have internet access to make sure they aren't on during the night or getting up early to do things, but I haven't seen anything there that looks like it allows me to block specific sites.

All I want to do is stop DD endlessly watching vacuous YouTube videos, but I don't want to have to take her phone off her to do this as I want her to still have access to texting her friends during lockdown and she listens to podcasts, audio books and music on it

I want a way out of the current situation where I am constantly having to ask her what she is doing just in case.

Edited by Jaffa donuts

Paddlepop

If blocking websites is an option then it will be somewhere in that sort of setting.

Alternatively you could try an app like OurPact to control access. I think that's the one that lots of EBers have mentioned as working well with their teenagers. Get it through the AppStore or GooglePlay store. 

LucyGoose

Is it an ipad?  I use ‘screentime’ to have the kids iPads to have downtime between set hours,  but you can also limit the amount of time,  or limit certain apps such as you tube between certain hours.