Kallie88

Vic Support Thread for Stage 3

Zeppelina
28 minutes ago, Pooks_ said:

Mental health care plan sessions will be doubled.

I know this has probably just been announced, but did they say that we will have to go and get another mental health plan if we've already run out of sessions this year? (I'll email my psych too, she may have more details.)

WaitForMe

I'm wondering what will happen with major construction. We have a skyrail going up around us and currently have respite housing until mid November. If its delayed, we will need to decide whether to stay in the respite house or go home (we are permitted to move between the two and they are within 5km anyway). Respite house most likely can't be extended so we might have to find another place and move again.

Beanette

Not sure if this will be covered in the press conference tomorrow, but in regards to childcare:

DH is a doctor working nights at the moment. I am a non essential worker, WFH. Would we be able to access childcare even if I am not essential? I am just dreading trying to keep a 3 and 1 year old quiet enough for him to sleep during the day

Kallie88
Posted (edited)

Admin - can we rename this thread for regional Victorian's please

Edited by Kallie88

DQMission

This is a level 3 question that I am sure many of you will know the answer to but I ashamed to say I have had my head in the sand a bit about this.

my grandfather is in an independent living aged care facility. He has terminal bowel cancer and is engaged with community palliative care. He is nearly blind and nearly deaf and so relies on his family for social interaction as he can’t use a phone or see a screen. I assume that no visiting homes includes no visiting him? Am I also right right to assume that if he needs family to get him to medical appointments they are allowed to do that? I hate the idea of his last months spent alone in a tiny unit with no communication or interaction, but I guess he is far from alone. 

caitiri
7 minutes ago, Beanette said:

Not sure if this will be covered in the press conference tomorrow, but in regards to childcare:

DH is a doctor working nights at the moment. I am a non essential worker, WFH. Would we be able to access childcare even if I am not essential? I am just dreading trying to keep a 3 and 1 year old quiet enough for him to sleep during the day

I hope you can, I have school aged kids at home and DH on 12 hour nights ATM so I understand how hard it is.  If you can’t my best suggestion is to get a great set of earplugs and do NOT feel bad about using anything you need to to keep them quiet.

• Thanks 1

DQMission

Can we please keep this thread open for those of us in regional vic?

Melbs2010
8 minutes ago, Beanette said:

I think it will be covered in more detail once they announce the workplace stuff tomorrow.

But I believe not based on what was said at the press conference.  They are trying hard to limit the number of kids at school and child care more so than stage 3.  It would be for workers who have to be onsite in an essential role once essential is redefined and narrowed.  It's only my best guess based on the press conference but I'd imagine if one parent is working from home then it wouldn't qualify as an essential need to have the kids in care.

Kallie88
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DQMission said:

This is a level 3 question that I am sure many of you will know the answer to but I ashamed to say I have had my head in the sand a bit about this.

my grandfather is in an independent living aged care facility. He has terminal bowel cancer and is engaged with community palliative care. He is nearly blind and nearly deaf and so relies on his family for social interaction as he can’t use a phone or see a screen. I assume that no visiting homes includes no visiting him? Am I also right right to assume that if he needs family to get him to medical appointments they are allowed to do that? I hate the idea of his last months spent alone in a tiny unit with no communication or interaction, but I guess he is far from alone. 

I would choose one or two family members to visit him individually, I would see this as classed as caring requirements, but try to keep the bubble small for his protection xx

Eta: even with stage 4 where i am now, i'll need mum to come look after the kids if i'm induced on Friday, hubby needs to take me to the hospital and they're too young to be alone, so i think caring is a perfectly valid reason in your case too

Edited by Kallie88
  • Like 5

Beanette
6 minutes ago, Melbs2010 said:

I think it will be covered in more detail once they announce the workplace stuff tomorrow.

But I believe not based on what was said at the press conference.  They are trying hard to limit the number of kids at school and child care more so than stage 3.  It would be for workers who have to be onsite in an essential role once essential is redefined and narrowed.  It's only my best guess based on the press conference but I'd imagine if one parent is working from home then it wouldn't qualify as an essential need to have the kids in care.

I hope it's all clarified tomorrow. This is really the only thing that will "break" me, I'm worried. Everything else I can deal with, or make allowances for, but I just think that having them both at home 24/7 and trying to be quiet for DH will be so hard 😔

purplekitty
20 minutes ago, Beanette said:

I hope there will be commonsense in application of the new restrictions.

HCWs are under enough pressure already without lack of sleep.Those on call after hours are already sleep deprived.

My family are wondering whether they will be able to get supplies when they come off shifts.

• Like 1

Soontobe7
8 hours ago, Soontobegran said:

It is not compulsory to reveal any personal or details about the other people on line or by phone call.

Thanks. Yes that is what I would've thought. They will try again tonight.

Well things are different in Melbourne now so surely all this "visiting" will stop

• Like 1

born.a.girl
Just now, Soontobe7 said:

Thanks. Yes that is what I would've thought. They will try again tonight.

Well things are different in Melbourne now so surely all this "visiting" will stop

Reading between the lines, you'd have to assume the reason for the 8pm curfew is not shiftworkers going to the supermarket, people going for a run after their kids are asleep/partner home, but to prevent gatherings at homes, by people of any age, given they'll have no reason for being out now.

As always the minority cause rules that significant impact another minority who've not caused the problem.

• Like 5

purplekitty

I feel for you too @Beanette.

Going through that but without the night shifts,COVID and WFH was hard enough.

• Like 2

Sweet.Pea
49 minutes ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

I suspect for the industries closed for 6 weeks there will be some financial support package from government.  At least they are not having to do it for the entire country. 

I don't think there will be anything for the employees. The PM has confirmed that Jobseeker current rates will be around until the end of September. Same as the rest of the country.

nom_de_plume
29 minutes ago, Beanette said:

I hope it's all clarified tomorrow. This is really the only thing that will "break" me, I'm worried. Everything else I can deal with, or make allowances for, but I just think that having them both at home 24/7 and trying to be quiet for DH will be so hard 😔

I am in a similar position. DP is a paramedic, so rotating shifts (2 X 10hr days then 2 X 14hr nights plus overtime). I am working from home but have a demanding (in terms of needing my attention) government job.

I cannot WFH and supervise 3 X kids remote learning while DP is trying to sleep after night shift so I rely on sending them to school those days. The days he works I am up until midnight trying to get my work done. Our school has been very understanding but it's unsustainable and if they crack down further it will really suck.

It's also a pain trying to keep them quiet when he does weekend night shifts. Usually we'd go out or to friends/family but that's no longer an option.

• Sad 2

purplekitty

• Like 2

SFmummyto3
46 minutes ago, Sweet.Pea said:

I don't think there will be anything for the employees. The PM has confirmed that Jobseeker current rates will be around until the end of September. Same as the rest of the country.

Agreed. I don't think Victorians or Melburnians will get anything extra than other States.

blimkybill
1 hour ago, Beanette said:

I wonder if it would be an option for him to go to a hotel room near his work to sleep? Hopefully paid for by his employer? 

• Like 2

bubskitkat
4 hours ago, born.a.girl said:

Special schools still open though.

Where and whom do I send a case of champagne to?

my sons special needs school sent out an email advising parents to wait for offical response from the school principal after discussions with the education department which I am presuming will occur tomorrow.

• Like 1

bubskitkat

I went to Woolworths with my son tonight and they advised that if you have underaged children you can bring them with you if you need to.

For those whom are married leave the other half at home with the kids.

Let’s face it, it maybe the highlight of your week as you listen to the stores music playing without the “mum Jason just kicked me” or the ever present “mum I really need this giant packet of sugar treats that will over hype me even more”

• Like 3

Chelli

Hi, 
To avoid confusion I will close this thread now that there is a Stage 4 support thread

My thoughts are with you all in Vic. We were at stage 4 where I live during Easter and it was frightening. It worked for us though and I hope it works for you all there too. 

Take care
Chelli

• Like 2