Kallie88

Vic Support Thread for Stage 3

Kallie88

I just thought with stage three restrictions being reintroduced some of our Victorian members may need some extra support. Please keep this a safe space and be kind xx

• Like 31

~LemonMyrtle~

Thanks Kallie88. 
it going to be easier and tougher second time round.

Easier cause we have our routine all sorted now, and we have our work spaces sorted and know what to expect should home schooling start again.

Tougher cause it’s just wearing us down, and the kids are so bored at home, and we had made small plans and now they’re cancelled. And it’s winter and it’s dark and wet and it’s hard to even get outside for a walk right now.

• Like 19

kadoodle

Thanks Kallie. This really stinks.

• Like 1

nom_de_plume

That's very kind of you.

I am personally relived about the return to Stage 3. My partner and I both work in healthcare and have been watching the situation worsen over the past week or so. It's an extremely chaotic working environment as everything changes daily (if not more often!) and I've personally observed an increasingly laissez-faire attitude as restrictions were lifted.

I'm seriously concerned about the school situation. I have kids in grades 1, 6 and 7. We will find a way to cope with an extra week of holidays but I'm not sure I can endure remote learning again, especially not now that I'm working from home.

• Like 4

SFmummyto3

I am angry and stressed.

Am here alone with my three teens. I was climbing the walls last lockdown with no other adult conversation or company. Six weeks? Am in tears right now 

• Sad 14

Ozquoll

Good idea!

I'm feeling like 2020 has lasted for about a decade 🥴. It is hard to accept that Victoria has screwed up so badly and things have gotten out of hand very quickly. I'm not looking forward much to home-schooling 7yo DS - hopefully schools will still go ahead after the extra week of holidays. Also really disappointed for DS that the extra activities I'd signed him up for (swimming and art classes) will not be able to go ahead. It is devastating timing for those businesses too which were re-opening for the start of the school term.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sentient Puddle

I am both relieved and feeling a bit sad as well.  Kids training for tonight and tomorrow just got cancelled and they only resumed last week.  Remote learning had an impact on their mental health as well. 

But for those gripes I am grateful that I am in a warm house and I have the privilege of being able to pull back into these restrictions with a full pantry and freezer and on a suburban block where everyone has their own room.  For those things I am incredibly grateful as I realise that not everyone has that ability.  Stay well everyone!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

lucky 2

I'm feeling a bit flat but that's ok if we can slow down the spread.

Dd is relieved to go into lockdown again though she'll go to school for her yr 11 subject.

I'll be going to work but it's amping up there as I work in a hospital. 😷

Dp is ok, he's basically stayed on stage 3 restrictions because is a bit of a hermit.

Stay well people. x

Silverstreak

Thanks for this thread!

God this is all so depressing, even though it’s definitely what Vic needs right now. Feeling a bit flat too. 

• Like 3

Kiwi Bicycle

I hate it as I am looking at my family in NZ and just feel we are spinning wheels and marking time.

I too wonder if they are hoping an extra week of holidays might mean if  there's a drop trend next week so schools could resume.  I knew yesterday and today the big numbers would mean this could happen. If the numbers dropped or stayed below 60 I think they would of let the status quo stay but not with those.

Swimming only just emailed today with a start date which isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

Elfie34

Not sure how we will cope with another lot of home schooling. Especially the preppie. And my work has gone a bit full on too.

but also grateful for my house and pantry and good internet (for now)

good luck my fellow melbournians 

• Like 2

TheGreenSheep

I feel flat too @lucky 2

It’s very complicated as we are working /living /schooling across metro /regional.

Roaring headache.

Longest most boring fattest year of my life. 

• Like 3

Mrs Claus

I’m regional Vic so aren’t effected (yet) in terms of lockdown but my kids sport has been cancelled. We’ve had weeks of tooing and froing on will we play/how will we play/where will we play....it’s almost a relief that the choice has been taken from us. 

• Like 1

JRA

It is the right thing to do, and I know that without a doubt. BUT so bloody depressing.

DS is so relieved that Y12 continues as is, but distraught about sport. I have spent the last 6 weeks nearly full time (volunteer) getting the hockey season up and running and now all wasted. And will spend the next weeks doing refunds.

So bloody thankful we got away for 6 days last week to the beach house. Oddly we brought DS up for one night to catch up with school friends as they believed they may not get another chance to hang out. How right they were. We also had the BEST lunch out at the BEST restaurant on Sunday. 

Also feeling incredible fortunate to be where we are, where this is incredibly annoying and worrisome for DS's mental health, but from every other perspective we are not really affected.

• Like 3

Datrys

I think I feel the way @~LemonMyrtle~ put it; this is going to be both easier and harder.

On the one hand, I'm not working, so that's sort of easier (especially for home-based learning); on the other hand, I need to prepare for a new job (and hope desperately it will still start as planned), moving house, moving schools, and that's all going to be harder with restrictions.  Trying to plan contingencies for unknown circumstances makes me anxious.

• Like 2

born.a.girl

I feel like a few pps.  Last time it was a challenge we all had to be part of.

This time, I just feel really flat.   I don't have any person concerns regarding work, kid schooling etc, but I do have 2 x 28 year olds here who are now looking at an endless stretch of not working.   First time round it was like a bit of a challenge to them, too, let's get through this.

Now I feel like I could strangle whoever made up the music for Animal Crossing, and daughter's boyfriend plays some stuff whose music also makes me twitch.   What can you do though?  They're bored out of their brains and I have to let them do whatever gets them through the day.

• Like 6

~LemonMyrtle~

I think the weather will have an impact on mental health this time round.  We are in the cold, wet, stage of winter, with short days. Outdoor exercise and play with kids is hard to do when the weather is bad and its dark at 5pm. And less sunlight affects mental health.  We will be truly stuck in our homes a lot more than we were the first time.

• Like 12
  • Sad 4

Dustyblue

Also in regional Vic here, so not yet affected other than not being able to travel to the restricted parts.

Unfortunately that includes some of DH's clients, and DS's grandparents. The grandparent part was hard on all of them last time, so not looking forward to that again.

But we're better off than my ex-fellow Melburnians.... I particularly cannot imagine working FT from home AND homeschooling. I seriously take my hat off to all of you.

Kallie88

Flat is a description I strongly relate to right now.

I feel sad for DD, she was so excited about kinder this year and I really wanted to send her back for term 3, but it just wouldn't be right. It will be tough adjusting to full time at home again for the kids as they were just starting to go back to daycare and give me a bit of a rest, but we'll manage it. I'm trying to look on the bright side and think about the time we'll get together before the baby comes next month, but I'm also scared about how I'm going to cope physically with them in this final stretch.

Hopefully DH's job will stay safe, but this will likely drop occupancy down dramatically which could see his center close. It was a close call last time, and even though the governments approach to free childcare wasn't great it did at least keep most centers open. If there was no support this time we could be in dire straights there.

I hadn't really stopped isolating and had tried to mentally prepare for this worst case scenario, so mostly I'm just sad that it has happened. Support when the baby is born is going to be hard to come by and it's sad she won't be born with all my family around like my other kids.

But, it's all survivable, I'm grateful that we should be financially ok, we have a roof over our heads, we're all healthy so far. Stay safe everyone

• Like 3

bubskitkat

Last time my son got so bad that we ended up in hospital and I nearly had a heart attack. 

this time I have already started to reach out to disability supports. If anyone else has kids or family members, please ensure that you have your disability supports in place. 

the hospital mentioned that they had seen many kids with autism and without presenting due to the lockdown.

since the last lockdown, I have kept my son in a very simple routine which was modified overtime since the start of this .

i am not surprised that we are in lockdown again, it needed to happen.

• Like 2

skicat

So angry at the moment, we are in a postcode that has already had a week in  second lockdown, add another 6 weeks... should be out a week earlier in my opinion. I would rather we all just wear masks when outside the house. Plans cancelled, weekend trips locally cancelled ,elderly parents just over the border that have no  family support   and they have to move in a month..... myself and siblings can't help.

• Sad 1

Sugarplum Poobah
Posted (edited)

Well I'm not in a restricted area, but my car is in a repair shop  in the level 3 lockdown area.  I'm hoping getting it back is considered essential given I can't get anywhere on foot (10km to the shops down a 100km/h country road with no footpaths), public transport is non existant and I don't feel confident driving DP's tank. Nice repair people have flagged that my insurance may well pay to have it towed back to my place after the repairs are completed. Fingers crossed!

ETA:  reading back over some of the other responses I want to reach out and give you all a socially distanced hug! My problems aren't that huge, just inconvenient.

Edited by Sugarplum Poobah

Sweet.Pea
3 minutes ago, Sugarplum Poobah said:

Well I'm not in a restricted area, but my car is in a repair shop  in the level 3 lockdown area.  I'm hoping getting it back is considered essential given I can't get anywhere on foot (10km to the shops down a 100km/h country road with no footpaths), public transport is non existant and I don't feel confident driving DP's tank. Nice repair people have flagged that my insurance may well pay to have it towed back to my place after the repairs are completed. Fingers crossed!

ETA:  reading back over some of the other responses I want to reach out and give you all a socially distanced hug! My problems aren't that huge, just inconvenient.

You are allowed to pick up your car. Going to a business that is allowed to remain open is considered essential.

• Like 1

Bearynice

I’m going to ask something, which may seem silly ( but my phone rang during the press conference so I missed it) 

school holiday extension- is that for the whole of Victoria? Or just Melbourne?

we are regional vic. 

I send virtual hugs to those in Melbourne. With the numbers though think it was what had to happen. But people have returned to a little bit more normal, booked kids activities and were hoping things would go ahead.

Mrs Claus

Just for metro. Business as usual for regional areas

• Like 1