~*~blizzy~*~

Plantation Shutters - are they worth it?

~*~blizzy~*~

I’ve had 2 companies come to measure for quotes and before I have them back, I’m wondering are they worth it? 

for the record, we have a 2 story home, with the entire upper level with 3 x sliding doors. We currently have verticals which I hate! We live on the water and have an amazing breeze but the blinds flap! We also are concerned about privacy, as pretty much any car that drives last stares right into our home. 

if anyone has them, how much did you pay?

Greatmum

Love ours. They are expensive though ours are about 1m wide by 2m and they were $1000 for two. 

haven’t had any problems with them had them a few years. Quick to install. Would b great for you for letting in breeze in and Keeping the privacy.  

~*~blizzy~*~
9 minutes ago, Greatmum said:

Love ours. They are expensive though ours are about 1m wide by 2m and they were $1000 for two. 

haven’t had any problems with them had them a few years. Quick to install. Would b great for you for letting in breeze in and Keeping the privacy.  

Did you get the timber of the pVC type ones? 

MooGuru

I've never paid for them but lived in a rental with them and have said that if I ever get my own place I'll get them whatever the cost because I loved them that much.

Luci

I have had them in the past two houses and I love them.  To answer your question "are they worth it" is difficult because they can be very expensive and I have bought them partly due to personal preference - as in I like the way they look. However they are also pretty much maintenance free and don't need much cleaning.  I also like that they can be partly opened to let in some light without compromising privacy.  In some areas they are very popular too and can add some value to your house.  

• Like 2

born.a.girl
Posted (edited)

We're on to our second lot here.   Removed the heavy drapes they had here and put in wide timber venetians.  They lasted about 20 years before enough cords had broken, and a few slats had broken. Tried to find some way to repair them but nobody does it.

Replaced them recently with white painted timber (didn't like the 'feel' of the synthetic ones) and are really happy with them.

Ours are only in the front of the house - it's a cal bung with one bay window, another triple window, plus two other wide single windows.

Ours are just to the window sill of course so floor length will be different.   Cost $2k.  Think it was about the same cost as the original ones 20 years ago.

ETA: Meant to add I love the look too, but they are not very environmentally efficient in Melbourne, but the front of our house faces east so the hot summer sun wasn't a consideration.

Back of house, which faces west and has lots of glass has roller synthetic fabric type stuff that's everywhere - see through then blockout as well, plus external sun blinds.   I wouldn't be putting timber venitians as the only cover on a window getting hit with summer's west sun.

Edited by born.a.girl
  • Like 1

Babetty

We have them on big sliding patio doors in our living area. I like them but I wouldn't get them again - I don't like that you can never really open it fully. You're either looking through slats or - ours are sliding door type ones - they cover half the opening and you're looking out the other half.

That might be a plus for you from a privacy perspective, but I much prefer being able to look out clearly and let as much light as possible in.

~*~blizzy~*~
11 minutes ago, Babetty said:

We have them on big sliding patio doors in our living area. I like them but I wouldn't get them again - I don't like that you can never really open it fully. You're either looking through slats or - ours are sliding door type ones - they cover half the opening and you're looking out the other half.

That might be a plus for you from a privacy perspective, but I much prefer being able to look out clearly and let as much light as possible in.

This is a major concern for me, and something that worries me. 

happy for you to PM, but how much did you pay for the sliding ones?

Babetty
20 minutes ago, ~*~blizzy~*~ said:

happy for you to PM, but how much did you pay for the sliding ones?

Sorry I can't help with price - they were already there  when we bought the house.

I forgot to say we also have them on windows in the study and media room. They look nice and they're odd-sized windows so I'm not sure if anything else would be better, but I'm often opening them up on their hinged frames to get more light in.

My in-laws had them out in their master bedroom, they are in an apartment and have sliding door / full windows along one wall. I've noticed that their bedroom is a lot darker during the day. And I'd never have them in a bedroom as I prefer blockout curtains!

born.a.girl

Whoops, having read the comments of others, I realised I rabbited on about timber venetians.  We did consider shutters, but saw them in someone's house and the frame definitely influenced the amount of sun/light that could come in.  In their case the front of their cal bung (so big-ish windows) faced North, so not an issue.   Our bedroom windows face on to a deep verandah, facing east and I didn't want to lose any more light.

Plus the cats would be really annoyed - once expects one blind in each room to be half raised ...  classy look.

Expelliarmus

Ours work really well for blocking a fair amount of heat - white PVC northern facing, unshaded bathroom window. Light coming in hasn't been an issue but is a bit on the south side bathroom.

Greatmum

Ours face west and they are good at blocking the sun heat in summer much better than curtains that was there. 

Babetty
41 minutes ago, Expelliarmus said:

Ours work really well for blocking a fair amount of heat - white PVC northern facing, unshaded bathroom window. Light coming in hasn't been an issue but is a bit on the south side bathroom.

Yes I was thinking about the only room I'd happily put them in is a bathroom - as privacy is more important than maximising light & outlook!

got my tinsel on

Yes, we have a huge number of windows (5 bed, study, two living areas) in our house and installed plantation shutters a few years back - around $13K all up.  

The difference it has made to our power bills is amazing.  Great thermal qualities and it's brilliant being able to adjust the amount of light coming in.  Our next house (in a couple of years time we'll be installing them there too.

~LemonMyrtle~

I liked the ones we had in our old house. Simple and durable. Except the ones in the bedroom didn’t block the light very well when closed. Lots of little gaps let in the light in the mornings. And to swing them open fully, you have to have furniture clear of the swing path, and we needed to swing them open to open the windows. That was a bit annoying. 

Greatmum

Yes would b annoying if you open the windows all the time but the windows we have them on we never open. 

born.a.girl
1 hour ago, got my tinsel on said:

Yes, we have a huge number of windows (5 bed, study, two living areas) in our house and installed plantation shutters a few years back - around $13K all up.  

The difference it has made to our power bills is amazing.  Great thermal qualities and it's brilliant being able to adjust the amount of light coming in.  Our next house (in a couple of years time we'll be installing them there too.

Yeah, my comment earlier was when I stupidly conflated timber venetians with plantation shutters.

I should imagine the shutters are much, much better at insulation than the venetians.  Doesn't help that our old house is not all that well sealed around the windows - sometimes on a very windy night it moves the blinds, so plenty of air - hot or cold, coming through.  No such issue with the shutters.

• Like 1

Moukmouk

I love our plantation shutters. We have white wooden ones in the front of the house that are ten years old now and they look as good as new. Easy to clean which is good for my asthmatic. Excellent for privacy with nice light. I put the cheaper ones in the back recently and they look amazing. I have blinds in the the very back though as it’s full length across windows/sliding doors and I wanted the light. It’s completely private however. The real estate Agents around here like them as they are almost expected, and count as a “fixture”.

got my tinsel on
52 minutes ago, born.a.girl said:

Yeah, my comment earlier was when I stupidly conflated timber venetians with plantation shutters.

I should imagine the shutters are much, much better at insulation than the venetians.  Doesn't help that our old house is not all that well sealed around the windows - sometimes on a very windy night it moves the blinds, so plenty of air - hot or cold, coming through.  No such issue with the shutters.

I have perfected the required angle on the shutters to make me look as though I'm in permanent soft focus.  Did I say how much I love our shutters?

• Like 1

eponee
Posted (edited)

I've heard good things about www.shuttersdept.com.au

Edited by eponee

~*~blizzy~*~
2 minutes ago, eponee said:

I've heard good things about www.shuttersdept.com.au

Not looking to purchase online! I want them to be measured and installed by a professional. 
everything I’ve read about light coming they is due to dodgy installs. 

I‘M so keen to get my quote now. 

~LemonMyrtle~
1 hour ago, born.a.girl said:

we had the same problem, wind blowing the blinds through closed windows.  We have 1950s sash windows. I got a man out to untisck, and reseal the windows and replace some glass for laminated glass, problem solved!  Cost a small fortune, but worth it.  I should have done all our windows, but i just did the worst ones. https://www.sashman.com.au/ in melbourne if youre interested.

• Thanks 1

got my tinsel on
5 minutes ago, ~*~blizzy~*~ said:

Not looking to purchase online! I want them to be measured and installed by a professional. 
everything I’ve read about light coming they is due to dodgy installs. 

I‘M so keen to get my quote now. 

What state are you in, blizzy?

I'm in western Sydney and the company we used had an initial (rough) measure up and a quote done, then when we accepted the quote they sent someone out to do an exact measure.  This same guy also was responsible for the installation.  That's the company policy - he who measures, installs.  Cuts down on errors as the installer can't blame 'the other guy'.  Ours are still in perfect nick.

~*~blizzy~*~
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, got my tinsel on said:

What state are you in, blizzy?

I'm in western Sydney and the company we used had an initial (rough) measure up and a quote done, then when we accepted the quote they sent someone out to do an exact measure.  This same guy also was responsible for the installation.  That's the company policy - he who measures, installs.  Cuts down on errors as the installer can't blame 'the other guy'.  Ours are still in perfect nick.

I’m NSW South Coast

Exactly the scenario here. The sales guy came out with his suitcase of samples, then measured. If we accept the quote the actual installer will come and do the final measure. 

I’m guessing the quote will come in at around 13k. This is for 3’x triple window sliding doors, 1 x full length triple window, 1 x half length kitchen window, and 1 x 450mm window above the bed

Edited by ~*~blizzy~*~

Soontobegran

Our new house has them on 12 windows and my aim is to get them on all. We have white wooden and on one of our long windows they swing out on a hinge to open and shut the windows.

The are great insulators