MadMarchMasterchef

Furniture made in Vietnam

MadMarchMasterchef

Urgently needing a new bed.  Ive noticed the wood ones in our price range seem to be made in Vietnam these days.  Was wondering if anyone knows much about how well or poorly the workers are treated / how enivironmentally friendly is the timber.  The guy said it was acacia but I have no idea if he was lying. 

I did go to 3 shops I could find that still manufactured locally and they were all >4K which is well out of my price range unfortunately. 

ytt

I can't answer your question specifically but after our trip to Vietnam and after going on a tour which saw forests after forests cut down to make way for manufacturing plants was a worry. There were vast clearings ready for new manufacturing plants, it was really sad.

• Like 1

Jenflea

Oxfam might have some info on their site maybe, or another charity that operates in that area?

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

Have you looked for second hand bed frames? At least it's  on cycling an item already made.

• Like 1

Gumbette

We bought our beds from Domayne and as much as I hate Gerry Harvey, it was the only place I could find timber beds made in Australia that we could afford (we needed 3 - 2 doubles for the kids and a king for us).

https://www.domayne.com.au/bedroom/beds/bed-frames/australia/1206

• Like 1

MadMarchMasterchef
17 hours ago, Kiwi Bicycle said:

Have you looked for second hand bed frames? At least it's  on cycling an item already made.

That's what one of the guys at the local factory said.  We cant wait too long for something suitable to come up though as our bed is terrible.  Another option would be if we went for a metal frame which would be OK as long as its sturdy.